Tripod Ideas

Nick28

Thinking about upgrading my current tripod. Looking at getting one that will last me a long time. I was looking at the Sirui W-1204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod, but now I am second guessing if it is worth the extra money to get that one or if a $200 tripod is just a good. Looking for some ideas.

Wow!!!
And here i thought i had done a decent upgrade on my tripod when i bought a $50 Craftsman....

The Forum will probably need more info in order to steer you in the right direction. What are you using it for (spotting, camera work, binos)? Are you backpacking with it? How heavy are the items you will be using with it and so on? What specific features are important to you? There are a ton of really good tripods on the market.

The Forum will probably need more info in order to steer you in the right direction. What are you using it for (spotting, camera work, binos)? Are you backpacking with it? How heavy are the items you will be using with it and so on? What specific features are important to you? There are a ton of really good tripods on the market.
It will be mostly used for my spotting scope and will be used a little bit for a video camera. I will be backpacking with it so I would want something on the lighter side. Basically I'm looking for one that is sturdy and will last a long time. Not too picky on the features I guess.

I'm sure you'll get others responses that have used "better" equipment.
But as i said, $50 Craftsman has worked well for me.
I use it for spotting scope, sometimes with phone attached, camera, chrono.
Straps to outside of my pack when using a pack.
Also cheap enough that i keep one in the truck, behind the seat.
I have a window mount, but sometimes for spotting, i'll park and set spotter up in bed of truck.

I upgraded from a vortex summit to the silk 634. Lots of difference in the legs, and in a very good way but also got the sirui va-5 head. Man that thing is smooth and rock solid.
I think you are paying extra for the waterproof legs but not to far off price wise really.

I went through my first couple of tripods in 2-3 years each. They were still functional when I was done with them, one more than the other, but the locks, legs, and connections had loosened up due to wear, among other issues. I decided at that rate I could afford a very high end tripod with a 10 year warranty, come out ahead on cost, and use a top end tripod the whole time. It really depends on how much you use it and under what conditions. A high end tripod can be rebuilt or repaired too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back