Trigger Pull—Hunting versus Target Shooting

JustinsDad

At the range I’m most accurate with a 2 lb trigger pull. However for hunting I have always been told to stay with 3-1/2 lb minimum so I don’t get excited at the big buck in my scope and prematurely fire before I’m ready. Adrenaline factor, I guess. I’m starting to hunt at longer ranges now though, and thinking about adjusting my hunting rifle down to 2 lbs. What are your thoughts on this?

Practice the trigger pull set at 2lbs and remember if your trigger finger is cold you may loose a little sensitivity for what weight you are pulling. I hunted with a gun for twenty years that was set up at 2 lbs. I never had any issues with it. But it did scare another guy that wanted to shoot my gun that was used to a much heavier trigger weight. No gloves on while I pull the trigger.

Practice the trigger pull set at 2lbs and remember if your trigger finger is cold you may loose a little sensitivity for what weight you are pulling. I hunted with a gun for twenty years that was set up at 2 lbs. I never had any issues with it. But it did scare another guy that wanted to shoot my gun that was used to a much heavier trigger weight. No gloves on while I pull the trigger.
I have a visual in my head of your friend Farming it on a 190 buck because he wasn’t used yo that light of trigger pull. Was it that dramatic? 😁

I have a visual in my head of your friend Farming it on a 190 buck because he wasn’t used yo that light of trigger pull. Was it that dramatic? 😁
It was dramatic for him. He was shooting at a big pumpkin at 100 yards off hand. I did not tell him what the trigger pull was like. Me and another person had a good laugh out of his reaction though.

I hunt with mine at 12 oz, but don't exactly recommend that. Nothing wrong with a lighter trigger if you're truly comfortable with it.

All of mine are well under 2lbs.

It sounded like one fellow in here shoots with his gloves on. I always take my right glove off to shoot. There have been some times that my tigger finger got pretty cold.

I’ve never shot at an animal with gloves on, even in -5F. Take them off to shoot.

Mine is at 2.5 lbs, I wish it could go lighter. IMO, 1-2 lbs is the sweet spot. Anything heavier than 3 lb. max is not good for long range, especially if the rifle is lightweight. You’ll see the crosshairs start to wobble.

If planning to shoot at animals at 500 and beyond, you should have 10+ minutes to kick out a nice spot to lay down, dry fire plenty, triple check your conditions/app and dump most of that adrenaline.

I hunt with multiple guns that have different pulls. I have never adjusted a trigger. Mine all are 2.5-3.5. I do prefer the lighter but not to a point of adjusting anything under 3.5. I never shoot with gloves except waterfowl.

My hunting guns are now almost all 1.5 - 2 lbs. Once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to a heavier trigger. Much easier to be a good shot with a lighter trigger and some guns will miraculously become more accurate with a light trigger. If you practice enough you’re unlikely to go off prematurely...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back