Caribou Gear Tarp

Tricer USA

MinnesotaHunter

Anyone messed around with these? Looks slick as can be. I really like a twist lock, but have always been frustrated with the shift when you lock it down. If this one eliminates it, I would be very interested....

@Schaaf you should probably by one of these and then sell it to me used...;)

https://tricerusa.com/products/tricer-lp

Any speculation on (or experience with) how this thing would handle an 80mm spotting scope? Looks to be about a perfect head for binos but it seems like throwing a spotter on there would be asking a lot.

Any speculation on (or experience with) how this thing would handle an 80mm spotting scope? Looks to be about a perfect head for binos but it seems like throwing a spotter on there would be asking a lot.

I obviously haven't used this specific head, but I have used a short handled panhead with an 80mm and it wasn't a problem. A long handle is obviously nicer, but give and take....

I use a 65mm swaro now and the short handle definitely doesn't concern me with that.

Why would you when you can get a Siruiuiuiui (however you say it) VA-5 for $40 less? Then you don’t have to worry about it shifting or moving. It’s just rock solid.

Lots of positive vibe on these at Rokslide. Don't need one but have never really loved my outdoorsman and outdoorsman micro panheads.

My wife got me the Tricer LP for my birthday last week. Obviously I haven’t had a chance to use it a bunch yet, but spent a couple hours on Monday messing with it. It pans very smoothly, is wicked light, and locks into place without shifting pov. Seems like it’s going to be the perfect head to use with binos. I’ll see how it works with an 80mm spotter this summer.

1687487979349.jpeg

@rtraverdavis any updates on it now that you hadve a hunting season under your belt? Thx Pete
Used it a bunch this year. It’s a really great little head for just binos—super lightweight and smooth—but is a tremendous pain in the ass under a big spotter. I plan to keep mine for trips where I’ll only be bringing the binos along (or for the Swaro ATC I’m going to win from the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffle) but need to get a sturdier head for my current spotter.

So for the application of just using with binos, it’s awesome. If you plan on using it for a do-all head, I’d look elsewhere.

*edited for clarity

Last edited:
Used it a bunch this year. It’s a really great little head for just binos—super lightweight and smooth—but is a tremendous pain in the ass under a big spotter. I plan to keep mine for trips where I’ll only be bringing the spotter along (or for the Swaro ATC I’m going to win from the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffle) but need to get a sturdier head for my current spotter.

So for the application of just using with binos, it’s awesome. If you plan on using it for a do-all head, I’d look elsewhere.
I used it with an 85mm spotter and binos, it works fine. The locking takes a bit more than a VA-5 (which I also have), but once you get used to the twist it works great. Not to mention it is dang near a pound lighter. My brother and my tripod setups with this head weigh 1lb 11 oz and 1lb 15 oz respectively.

I used it with an 85mm spotter and binos, it works fine. The locking takes a bit more than a VA-5 (which I also have), but once you get used to the twist it works great. Not to mention it is dang near a pound lighter. My brother and my tripod setups with this head weigh 1lb 11 oz and 1lb 15 oz respectively.
I just found it to be too unstable and shaky with my spotter to enjoy using it.

What tripod are you using? That is stupid light! I think my sirui st124 weighs 2.5 pounds without a head.

Used it a bunch this year. It’s a really great little head for just binos—super lightweight and smooth—but is a tremendous pain in the ass under a big spotter. I plan to keep mine for trips where I’ll only be bringing the spotter along (or for the Swaro ATC I’m going to win from the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffle) but need to get a sturdier head for my current spotter.

Thanks! I was figuring on using it just for the binos.

@peterk1234 Mine is a Sirui T-024SK. His is a Sirui AT-125 (Superlight Traveler X).
I've been thinking of getting my tripod setup lighter for two years. Too cheap to pull the trigger. But this past season I committed to hauling the tripod with me on every hunt (almost 30 days), and it is worth its weight in gold. Even have a saddle for it for shooting. My wife used it on her first ever shot (successful) on an animal. So it is time to get it lighter because it will never stay home again. I just urdered the AT-125 and the Tricer LP. Going from 3.5 pounds to 1 pound 11 ounces!

I've been thinking of getting my tripod setup lighter for two years. Too cheap to pull the trigger. But this past season I committed to hauling the tripod with me on every hunt (almost 30 days), and it is worth its weight in gold. Even have a saddle for it for shooting. My wife used it on her first ever shot (successful) on an animal. So it is time to get it lighter because it will never stay home again. I just urdered the AT-125 and the Tricer LP. Going from 3.5 pounds to 1 pound 11 ounces!
Yea, we've gotten them a little lighter (Aoka tripod) but you are giving up a ton with that little thing. That AT-125 and Tricer head is really good for 1.7 lbs and ~300$. You'll like it

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back