Tri-tip

Last 1 one i did at 200 until it hit 125internal, then i quickly put some grill marks on it with a preheated hot grill. Let it rest maybe 10 minutes and started sliceing. Couple hours total

Added: i never tell a man to mop/not mop his meat but i dont open my smoker for nothing once it starts till i think i am close to temp.

Last edited:
alright. here is my go to:

1. Put in a container and dump a little bourbon on whiskey on it - don't need much
2. Then apply Kinder's (or seasoning of your choice) Hickory Molasses (or your version of sweet and salty)
3. Set Traeger to 190, let it sit 15 mins at that temp
4. Put tri tip in and Cook to 120 internal
5. Remove and put in foil
6. Set Traeger to 500
7. Sear 2-3 mins on each side
8. Internal should be around 130 after you do all that
9. Let sit for 10 mins
10. Cut and enjoy.

It's awesome

Last edited:
Tri-tip is a religion in my neck of the woods. I've done hot and fast and I've also done low and slow then finish it by searing it a couple minutes on both sides. The key to good tri tip is not letting it go past 130 before you pull it off. The other essential step is knowing how to slice it, the muscle grain goes in two different directions and you need to cut it right.... I've had a lot of chewy tri tip due to others not knowing this. Screenshot_20230326_071344_Chrome.jpg
If you follow those two steps you can try anything recipe wise. I've marinated it in red wine, I've had it where someone soaked it in coke over night...tons of good ways to play with it.

The most common way done in Central California is a salt, pepper, and garlic based rub cooked over an open oak fire. Garlic bread and pinquito beans are traditional sides.

Last edited:
Echoing what those above said, smoke until it gets about 10 to 15° from your desired doneness temp and then sear it to finish the cook and put a little crust on the outside. I really like to sear with a propane plumbing torch, I feel like it helps keep me from over cooking the meat. Also, I like to rest/serve it with some chimichurri butter, basically just equal parts softened butter and chimichurri mixed together. Delicious!

Rub with a little olive oil then your favorite rub I like Montreal steak or just simple SPG. Smoke for a hour on smoke then 1 hour on 180. Take it straight to a 500 degree grill and reverse sear 3-5 minutes a side. Wrap and let rest. One of my favorites. I also occasionally marinade in Claudes beef brisket as well.20230104_180718.jpg

Tri-tip is a religion in my neck of the woods. I've done hot and fast and I've also done low and slow then finish it by searing it a couple minutes on both sides. The key to good tri tip is not letting it go past 130 before you pull it off. The other essential step is knowing how to slice it, the muscle grain goes in two different directions and you need to cut it right.... I've had a lot of chewy tri tip due to others not knowing this. View attachment 269878
If you follow those two steps you can try anything recipe wise. I've marinated it in red wine, I've had it where someone soaked it in coke over night...tons of good ways to play with it.

The most common way done in Central California is a salt, pepper, and garlic based rub cooked over an open oak fire. Garlic bread and pinquito beans are traditional sides.
Thanks. I knew about the grains so I was going to look up how to cut it. You just saved me!

Tri tip: I started by rubbing it down with Evoo, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper. I let it sit in the fridge until about 1 pm and had my wife remove it for 4 hours since I was at work. I got home about 4:30 and preheated my traeger to 225. Put the steak on about 5 pm. At about 6:20 it was at 127 degrees so I moved it to a smoking hot black stone for 3 minutes per side. Wrapped it in foil for 10 minutes and sliced as brandon showed above. The steak was flavorful, juicy and tender. My wife puts steak sauce on a grade A prime filet mignon and she didn’t put any on the tri tip.

Hard sear on the blackstone
1679877941992.jpeg

Plated with a baked sweet potato and asparagus, covered in a chimichuri sauce.
1679878020768.jpeg

Last edited:
I can find them in the store again and love them.

Since I have no red oak for a fire the pitboss has stepped up.

Basic rub with NM chile on top.
Smoke for a couple hours then crank it and sear for a few minutes. Let rest in a pan to collect juices.
Serve with salsa fresca, beans and salad.

I do miss the red oak and my crank grills.
The PB has worked pretty good so far. I just put a pork shoulder slab on to smoke for 6 hrs., then in the oven for 4.

But I always go by the meat dept. to look for tri-tips and will do so today. Only 1 in the freezer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back