Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trekking Poles

$25 at Costco, use em and then figure out what you really want/need.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail (2000+ miles) in 2007. For most of this trip I used a pair of $25 Walmart poles. IMO cheap, simple poles that adjust/collapse to half their length are vastly superior to anything made by Leki, etc. Main advantages are they are sturdy and have minimal features that can fail. Poles with a telescoping mechanism can and do fail. Sure the company will send you a replacement, but this is entirely worthless when you are in the back country. Lightweight poles often compromise on durability. Some products are designed for walking on trails, and not bushwhacking. Sure you can save a couple ounces of weight, but you'll have to decide if this is really worth it. Cork handgrips are lighter, but can also be flimsier. Also consider that any trekking pole is a whole lot lighter than a wooden walking stick.

Another thing to consider - a sizable minority (maybe 35-40%) of people who buy a pair trekking poles find that they prefer to use just one pole, so their other hand/arm is free for other gear, or just balancing or gripping brush/rocks on steeper areas. I suggest trying out both options before heading for the field.

Black diamond flick locks are tough and reasonably priced. I get 3 hard years out of a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back