Tree stand or blind?

Wapitiman

Quick question for someone if they have time. I found an elk hunting spot that is in a canyon of sorts. It borders state lines by 200 yards or so. This canyon has a medium slope going down from North to South. Right in the middle is a spring. I put a camera in there last year not expecting many elk. However, I was wrong. There were bulls all season. I pulled my camera after the seasons and never was able tohunt it. I want to hunt it this year but the only way to hunt would be by hunting out of a tree stand or blind on the ground.
With the thermals and winds which would be better to use? It's literally in the very bottom of the canyon walls. The elk can basically come in from every direction except the south,southeast. I would much rather be moving and not sitting in a treestand or blind. But there isn't much room to hunt around. Just have to sit and wait with a bow. Which one would you use that would best limit scent? I'm sure it's a blind. I'm just seeing if anyone would say treestand?

Set more cameras and see where they tend to come and go...if your budget allows.. that will help the decision. Still alot of variables.. when are they hitting the spring? Where are they bedding, Out of the canyon? With the question, id think your talking archery? May set yourself up for failure by being in the bottom..

Are elk like whitetail that they come in looking up? If so and the wind is shifty you can use an ozonics if you really want to be in a tree it could be effective. Personally I'd rather be in a ground blind

A tree stand would be my choice. You mention that the elk can come from multiple directions, a stand gives you WAY more ability to see and prepare compared to a blind. Disadvantage is scent. You absolutely have to go in with the right conditions. I would also take some time to plan and prepare an entry trail wether its a blind or stand. Good luck

As a long time WT stand and blind hunter I would recommend that you spend some time in this canyon, and see if wind directions matter or not or if the only air movement is from thermals. I hunt the bottom of a small valley for WT here. It is one of the best spots on the farm for deer movement but one of the worst for getting busted by scent. I have pretty much eliminated evening sits there as the thermals are pushing air down to the ground. Mornings are best for deer that are traveling below me. You get the drift I'm sure. I also like the stand option. I would put in a hang on stand with removable climbing sticks and take down the bottom 2 sticks and stash them nearby if you are worried about theft. Conifer trees can make a great hide for a stand but you can also get some swaying on windy days. This past year I just started using an ozonics machine, I would say it helped on some occasions. I am told that they really work well in ground blinds but I have not tried it in one yet. I will be doing that this spring for bears tho, hopefully it helps.

I've hunted out of both, and the advantage goes to the stand. Blinds are too limiting for shot opportunities, and they will still smell you in a blind. My suggestion is if you have the time, don't compromise the attractiveness of the water by getting too close, if its not an ideal setup. try to stay back but yet in view, and make a move playing the wind when an animal enters or exits. If you barrel in there the first day and blow the animals out, you have lost what sounds like your best opportunity for the rest of your hunt. If you are consistently seeing animals but can't get a shot, go for broke on the second to last day, or just before a rain.

Thanks for all the replies... I appreciate your time. Looks like I'm going to just have to spend more time in there. It's a chore to get into this place and I have just been studying via google earth the past couple months. I'll set up a few more cameras and have to look at what options are best up there.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back