Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tree Saddles. Thoughts, Tips, Stories?

I have the predator platform with the cam buckle not thrilled with that cam buckle set up. Think I may look into replacing it with the daisy chain. I have the hawk helium steps with daisy and really like them.

If memory serves I read about getting rid of the cam buckle on predator a couple years ago and read something about it being less secure on the tree and maybe also something about the cam over from platform lowering adding too much tension on daisy chains?

I’d like to do away with the cam buckles on my xop lock on stand and predator platform if it’s not a big compromise in security/safety so any feedback on this is appreciated!

Well it was amateur hour this morning climbing the tree. I clanked every peice of gear that was capable of making a noise, tangled my bow rope around myself and then left my release at the base of the tree. I think I’m just going to do two trips up. Too many things strapped to myself getting tangled.

I did get to try out a two panel saddle. I really liked the comfort of the two panel design and I didn’t move around as much. It took some finagling but once I got it how I liked it, I could have fallen asleep. The only thing I disliked is the webbing bridge. It does not slide in the carabiner when you lean and it makes noise under load so I think I will replace that with an amsteel bridge.

I also tried to use my predator platform with two tree hopper steps on the strap. It didn’t work very well and a clanked them together in the tree trying to set it. I couldn’t get them positioned very well and didn’t use them. I’m going to mess with that some more before I decide to remove them.

Saw no deer, had more fun then I would have at work.
Been there - seems like every year you must get one of those sits out of the way before you can get it died in. I even forgot arrows one year. There I was, swinging from a tree with a buck 20 yards away thinking that I couldn't belive my luck. First sit of the year and he was posing for a great broadside shot. I grabbed my bow with no arrows and realized that I am clearly an idiot. The worst part was that I was hanging from that tree for about 3 hours before I figured it out.

You can switch your web bridge with Amsteel rope, and it will be slick. Short of that, you could try to wax your web bridge and that may help. I used that stuff and hated it until I switched to the Amsteel. It was an instant improvement in speed and noise reduction.

If memory serves I read about getting rid of the cam buckle on predator a couple years ago and read something about it being less secure on the tree and maybe also something about the cam over from platform lowering adding too much tension on daisy chains?

I’d like to do away with the cam buckles on my xop lock on stand and predator platform if it’s not a big compromise in security/safety so any feedback on this is appreciated!
Yeah the fact that it could put a lot of pressure on a daisy chain has me wondering about if it's safe. I also have the concern of getting the platform tight to the tree if the tree size falls between a correct daisy chain link. I did see one (can't recall the company) that makes a daisy chain that the first loop is about a 6" adjustable loop that solves that issue though.

Yeah the fact that it could put a lot of pressure on a daisy chain has me wondering about if it's safe. I also have the concern of getting the platform tight to the tree if the tree size falls between a correct daisy chain link. I did see one (can't recall the company) that makes a daisy chain that the first loop is about a 6" adjustable loop that solves that issue though.
I’ve been having that problem with the daisy chains on my sticks. It lightens the load not having cam buckles but I waste a ton of time trying to get them set. They never line up correctly and if it’s too loose I don’t trust it not to kick out. I think I may go back to cam buckles just so I can hang them quicker.

I’ve been having that problem with the daisy chains on my sticks. It lightens the load not having cam buckles but I waste a ton of time trying to get them set. They never line up correctly and if it’s too loose I don’t trust it not to kick out. I think I may go back to cam buckles just so I can hang them quicker.
I have learned to get them tight as possible then twist the stick to the left or right to get that next loop hooked and it seems to help. Once you put weight on the step it locks in tight.

My heliums all came with the buckles prior to daisy chains. I just removed the buckles and use the “buckle less method” to me this is easier/quicker than dealing with buckles and you still get the weight savings and lose the risk of noise.

So I do most of my whitetail hunting in the big woods of North Central MN. The deer density is lower, lots of predators, and no agriculture food sources. This ends up meaning that you need to be mobile, and requires constant scouting to find the active food sources the deer are using, and bedding near. There is also good options to get into isolated areas to hike into, to try and target more mature bucks. I also hunt primarily state/national forest, so I am leery about leaving stands up.

All of this has led me to look into tree saddles as a more mobile/packable option as this fall has progressed. I have watched plenty of videos on the topic from people sponsored by one saddle company or another. I am hoping some folks on here might have some unvarnished opinions on using these. I would also love to hear any tips/tricks/etc if you have them.

I am looking at the Tethrd Phantom kit, and their platform. I have some climbing sticks already.

Thanks!
I still use both a treestand and a saddle. I have the Tethrd Phantom, and really enjoy using it. The first time I used it I struggled with trust issues for the first 20 min and my leg shook uncontrollably, but the first deer I saw I was hanging from it with only one leg on the platform ready to shoot. I wouldn't stop using treestand, especially on private land where I can leave them, but for public hunting and mobile hunting I believe the saddle setup is hard to beat.

Really personal comfort is another thing to consider. Some of my buddies are just more comfortable in a treestand. Myself, I enjoy the mobility in the tree that the saddle gives me, and I think its an advantage being able to keep the tree between me and the deer.

In summary, I think its another good tool for better enjoying hunting, but I wouldn't suggest to anyone becoming a "treestand" or "saddle" hunter. Do both and get as much advantage as you can. I hope this helps! Good luck hunting this coming season.

Has anyone tried the one stick method yet???...im curious about it thinking of purchasing the setup

Back