Tree Saddles. Thoughts, Tips, Stories?

I use a saddle almost exclusively. Hunting public land, it’s really the best option as far as packing in and out every sit. My entire setup fits in a backpack, so I don’t have to worry about scraping brush and whatnot. I’d recommend it. Here’s what I’ve found.

I had a mantis, and am a decent sized guy. 6’2”, 235 or so. I struggled to get comfortable with it. I tried swapping the fixed bridge out for an adjustable, but still not great. I ended up selling that, and going with a two panel sling style. I have a Treehopper recon, but the ESS is similar. Night and day difference! It’s now super comfy.

I had a predator platform, and sold that wanting something smaller. First two hunts off the small platform, and I had sellers remorse. I repurchased a predator. My size 13 feet just prefer a bigger platform, and the predator is good size but still easily packable.

Shooting takes some getting used to, but if you practice from it it’ll be no problem.

I say go for it. Worst case scenario, you end up selling it for about what you paid for it. They all hold their value well from what I’ve seen.
I ordered a two panel ESS to try out. Do you put pouches on your recon for ropes?

I ordered a two panel ESS to try out. Do you put pouches on your recon for ropes?
I think I am going to try a two panel out next season. If I like it I will sell the Phantom or vice versa.

I have to say that the pouches that Tethrd sells that attach to the mollee webbing are pretty awesome. I am sure there are comparable pouches out their for less. Having that storage right there on each side seems like a necessity for me personally.

Nope. I don’t have anything on it. Just a hook for my platform when I’m coming down. I just daisy chain my lineman and put it in my backpack when I’m at height.

This thread is perfectly timed for me.

I have never ran one, currently I use a muddy hang on with muddy sticks. I set the stand, then take three sticks with off the tree for security purposes. Yeah I have to pack em in and out but it isn't that bad.

Now my nephew uses a saddle and loves it. We are planning a rut hunt on public land next fall here in Indiana and the idea of a saddle sounds pretty good. Scout until you find the sign and run up a tree.

I've been going back and forth on saddle vs climber... I'm leaning more and more towards a saddle with three sections of climbing sticks. Pricey but lighter solution and more freedom of movement and IMO much safer than f'n around climbing up trees with a climber.

I bought one before last season and have shot multiple deer out of it with a MZ and one with my bow. I haven't used my climber since I bought it but haven't sold it either. I mainly got a saddle because a lot of places I hunted wouldn't have the "perfect" tree in the right location and I was tired of banging my Summit on saplings and limbs when walking through thicker stuff. Between the saddle and my sticks I don't know if I'm saving much weight but the bulk is gone. Like someone already said the versatility in setting up is awesome. I know I can pretty much go into a spot and set up and be able to find a tree downwind of whatever I feature I am trying to hunt over.

I just started saddle hunting this year.

I hunt a mix of private and public land. For private land, I used to hang stands all over. Now, instead of hanging stands everywhere, I trim out normal trees I hunt out of every year and climb with my saddle.

I'm using a tethrd phantom now for a saddle with 4 of the hawk helium 20" sticks that have the daisy chain strap for the tree. I also got their platform for the top stick so I strap 4 sticks to the tree and I'm hunting. Super easy, super efficient, and I don't need a 150$ platform lol.

It also saves me from buying 20 stands. I have 2 portables I'll move around now if someone else is coming hunting. Otherwise I hunt out of my saddle. I love being able to use the tree to hide from deer. I'm able to keep the tree between the deer and myself almost all the time with only my head/part of my upper body sticking out.

When I hunt public land, I put my saddle on and start walking. I walk till I find fresh sign then decide on a tree to climb into. Doesn't have to be a perfect tree to get a stand into. It can be pretty crooked and I'm still able to comfortably hunt in it with the saddle.

I've used a New Tribe Aero Hunter for about 6 years now. I use 3 Hawk Helium sticks to get up the tree and stand on the top step. I also set up 2 Hawk steps on a strap at 3 and 9 o'clock to move around the tree.

I started before it became as popular as it has now. It's worked well for me.

I've used a New Tribe Aero Hunter for about 6 years now. I use 3 Hawk Helium sticks to get up the tree and stand on the top step. I also set up 2 Hawk steps on a strap at 3 and 9 o'clock to move around the tree.

I wish I knew about it before it was popular. i would've bought one years ago.

They make a nice top platform that's not big at all to put on the top step of the hawk helium sticks. Really light and works really good! I got it on sale for 30$ https://www.mackspw.com/Hawk-Helium...ybo8ajmuDP-5lVauQK-TEKYvqY-aERx0aAlZ8EALw_wcB

The saddle is the new 6.5 CM. By that I mean tons of people making fun of them now and calling the current owners names will own one in 5 years.
I've realized something. Most people I know who hate saddles, have actually never tried one or hunted from one.

It seems like most the haters use climber stands and they're upset because their stands only work well for climbing telephone poles!

10lbs of gear, and I can hunt any tree, anywhere, and be fully setup in under 10 mins. I guess it has its downsides.. . Like being able to shoot 360 degrees around the tree, or having the ability to keep yourself behind the tree and out of sight of the animal. See? There's quite a few other downsides... If you're a deer.

I've began using one this year it's a game changer I feel like. Very mobile and super comfortable to me. Look into diy aiders. I used amsteel and pex pipe and put one step aiders on 4 sticks. I can climb higher than I'm comfortable with those 4 hawk heliums. Need to try 3 and see if I can save some weight.

I've realized something. Most people I know who hate saddles, have actually never tried one or hunted from one.

It seems like most the haters use climber stands and they're upset because their stands only work well for climbing telephone poles!

10lbs of gear, and I can hunt any tree, anywhere, and be fully setup in under 10 mins. I guess it has its downsides.. . Like being able to shoot 360 degrees around the tree, or having the ability to keep yourself behind the tree and out of sight of the animal. See? There's quite a few other downsides... If you're a deer.
Climbers are a pain in the neck. They may look goofy but saddles are the future for hunting from trees. I don’t have one yet but at some point I’m sure I will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back