Traveling hunter strategy

I've kind of got a list of critters in my head. I probably need to write it down, research states and get a little more organized.
After reading this I thought it would be a great idea to do the same. I came up with 8 hunts covering 7 species across units in 6 states. 5 hunts are draws, 2 are OTC, and 1 is guided. It’s not a terribly ambitious list, but it helps guide my application strategy and hunting schedule for the next 5-10 years. I figure if I really enjoy a particular hunt I’ll work it into the rotation as a repeat.

Something you may have heard tell of in other threads, but consider the UK. Even with the air fare you can do a hunt for some pretty cool species at reasonable prices. No licenses to worry about (get a BASC membership for insurance), ABUNDANT game, beautiful scenery and great people. If you have to pay for a guided hunt ( I had a hook up) it is still VERY reasonable comparatively. Here is the muntjac I shot last year.....

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1552.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1553.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 8
Watch Randy's YouTube videos on how to hunt each state with info on draws and OTC. Do you bow hunt? That opens up OTC. I would research states with OTC tags and use that as a backup while you apply to draws. I hunted Utah OTC Archery elk. Pretty sure they have OTC rifle as well. Haven't hunted OTC CO elk (with the masses) but will eventually. AZ has OTC for deer. ID has OTC for elk.

This isn't an exhaustive list, just ones I am familiar with. And OTC options change all the time so make sure you are looking at up to date data from the state website.

After reading this I thought it would be a great idea to do the same. I came up with 8 hunts covering 7 species across units in 6 states. 5 hunts are draws, 2 are OTC, and 1 is guided. It’s not a terribly ambitious list, but it helps guide my application strategy and hunting schedule for the next 5-10 years. I figure if I really enjoy a particular hunt I’ll work it into the rotation as a repeat.

Glad my post could inspire someone! Lol. Especially a fellow Iowan. I'm just shooting for doing 1 out of state hunt a year as I don't have a lot of spare time. Keep me posted on if you have any luck or positives and negatives of your adventures!

Something you may have heard tell of in other threads, but consider the UK. Even with the air fare you can do a hunt for some pretty cool species at reasonable prices. No licenses to worry about (get a BASC membership for insurance), ABUNDANT game, beautiful scenery and great people. If you have to pay for a guided hunt ( I had a hook up) it is still VERY reasonable comparatively. Here is the muntjac I shot last year.....

I have not considered the UK. I was lined up for an African safari in April 2019, but that January we found out the stork would be visiting us in August and the doc said Africa was a big NO with the wife being pregnant. I'd like to try again maybe in a few years. I'll look into the UK though.
This all kind of started for me just because it's one of those things I really enjoy doing, so I've decided to make it a point to start. I know this is a public land, DIY blog, but I don't mind using a guide either. Thank you for the tip!

Watch Randy's YouTube videos on how to hunt each state with info on draws and OTC. Do you bow hunt? That opens up OTC. I would research states with OTC tags and use that as a backup while you apply to draws. I hunted Utah OTC Archery elk. Pretty sure they have OTC rifle as well. Haven't hunted OTC CO elk (with the masses) but will eventually. AZ has OTC for deer. ID has OTC for elk.

This isn't an exhaustive list, just ones I am familiar with. And OTC options change all the time so make sure you are looking at up to date data from the state website.

I do bow hunt. This is something that I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. While a bow hunt is obviously a lot more challenging, the seasons are better and as you said you have more OTC opportunity.

This is a bit of a slippery slope for this thread as it probably needs it's own post but here goes. I purchased a Mathews Mission bow package like 4-5 years ago. Long story short, I love bow hunting whitetails here in Iowa. I've been researching new bows online. My Mission does exactly what I need it to here in Iowa for deer, but I'm thinking it'd be wise to upgrade and step out to longer ranges before heading out west. I've been looking at the Mathews VXR's.
And just like that, this turned into a "which bow should I buy" thread lol.

I have not considered the UK. I was lined up for an African safari in April 2019, but that January we found out the stork would be visiting us in August and the doc said Africa was a big NO with the wife being pregnant. I'd like to try again maybe in a few years. I'll look into the UK though.
This all kind of started for me just because it's one of those things I really enjoy doing, so I've decided to make it a point to start. I know this is a public land, DIY blog, but I don't mind using a guide either. Thank you for the tip!
Oh...and I told you about the BASC for insurance but I am a member of SACS (thought the Scottish tilt appropriate as I was originally after a red) https://www.sacs.org.uk/

I do bow hunt. This is something that I've been thinking about quite a bit lately. While a bow hunt is obviously a lot more challenging, the seasons are better and as you said you have more OTC opportunity.

This is a bit of a slippery slope for this thread as it probably needs it's own post but here goes. I purchased a Mathews Mission bow package like 4-5 years ago. Long story short, I love bow hunting whitetails here in Iowa. I've been researching new bows online. My Mission does exactly what I need it to here in Iowa for deer, but I'm thinking it'd be wise to upgrade and step out to longer ranges before heading out west. I've been looking at the Mathews VXR's.
And just like that, this turned into a "which bow should I buy" thread lol.

It's your thread so you can drift it - can't hijack your own thread. But, you will get more hits if you start a new one.

What do you mean longer ranges? What range or you comfortable shooting at wild game? I shoot at targets at 70 yards with some consistency but my preference is still 40 yards on live game, particularly a hardy elk. Maybe 50 if he doesn't know I'm there (head behind a tree) and no major crosswind but I still worry about the animal moving between release and penetration and even a good shot wounds an animal I'll never find.

I shoot an entry level Diamond. Will upgrade next year but just to get a better bow, not for longer ranges.

It's your thread so you can drift it - can't hijack your own thread. But, you will get more hits if you start a new one.

What do you mean longer ranges? What range or you comfortable shooting at wild game? I shoot at targets at 70 yards with some consistency but my preference is still 40 yards on live game, particularly a hardy elk. Maybe 50 if he doesn't know I'm there (head behind a tree) and no major crosswind but I still worry about the animal moving between release and penetration and even a good shot wounds an animal I'll never find.

I shoot an entry level Diamond. Will upgrade next year but just to get a better bow, not for longer ranges.

Here in Iowa I do not really shoot past 30 yards. Where I hunt I just do not have the need for it. I could shoot further with my bow I currently have, but if I am going to be driving 1500 miles round trip, doing all of the research, taking time off working, etc I will make sure to invest in higher end equipment. I guess I should have worded that differently.
This is not to say that there is anything wrong with my Mission, it's been a great bow and has done exactly what I have needed out of it. I'd just prefer to upgrade before taking a trip to hunt.
I'd like to shoot comfortably out to the 40-50 yard range. I've been reading about those 70 yard shots, but to me, as you said, there is just too much that can go wrong. I'm not a professional archer however, so that is just my thoughts on my own skills.

I apply for everything I possibly can and kinda change plans if certain tags or drawn like OIL tags. Also try tags that are 100% random drawing so everyone had the same odds. I am now a huge proponent of random draws since I drew a Wyoming bull bison tag this year on my firs try. Looks like Nevada is getting changed to points only, I called today and confirmed there is a process to do that after app deadline and pray I dont draw in Utah or Montana sheep or bison.

Back