Trapper Jake

fmnjr

Trapper Jake Korell....randomly came across a film about this man. Am really impressed, with the film and the man.

On amazon, highly recommended watching especially for unvarnished views and facts about trapping and the outdoors life.

I learned a lot watching the movie and by being able to observe a person who was born in 1914, started trapping at 12, and died in 2013 at 99. Pretty amazing, think about that...he trapped for 87 YEARS.

Couple paraphrased quotes from Mr. Korell:

"I was 12 and observed that someone was stealing my muskrats. One day I went down to my line and saw this grown man down there taking my muskrats. I had my 22 with me and went to scare him by shooting behind him to teach him a lesson. Well, just as I shot, he bent over and he got shot through about 1 inch of his ass cheek. I ended up in court scared out of my wits but after the judge heard both stories he said "Case dismissed! Furthermore, you deserve worse for stealing from a 12 year old boy trying to earn a few bucks."

"There was this embezzler, he got convicted and served time on account of several kin folk/friends who testified against him. One day, I saw him sneaking around spying on folks. Drove by him like I never saw him, stopped down the road and walked back to him with my 20 gauge. He never heard me, stuck the 20 up against his left ear and told him "If you think you're going to #*^@#* WITH MY FAMILY, I'LL $*)Q!#@$ KILL YOU, YOU BASTARD!" He promptly told me he'd behave really good if I let him go. The SOB still got locked up again though for robbery. You know, the cops here love me, they say "Old Jake, he takes care of his own business.""

My son and I watched this film together and were both impressed by Jake. God rest his soul, I'd have loved to have known the guy.

Last edited:
It is a good 'un! I would have really enjoyed sitting and listening to Jake's stories.

Watched this over the weekend, he was an interesting and tough fella. These new generations won’t know hard work which is all that generation knew. RIP Jake

Back