Trailer Loading

Cornell2012

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this video and figured it would be relevant to a fair number of people on Hunt Talk. This 30-second clip illustrates the importance of proper weight distribution when towing a trailer.

[video=youtube_share;4jk9H5AB4lM]https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM[/video]

Thread title had me thinking this would be about getting a jug-head on board: wrap their eyes with your jacket, pull their lip and put a stick up their ass. Rodeo or load, their choice. :D

I learned the lesson (as a passenger) the hard way. Luckily everything stayed shiny side up, but it got real western for about 8 seconds.

Have been involved in a couple of cleanups from misloaded trailers. Pay attention, ya'll

A video is worth a thousand hours of trying to derive the stability equations for that system.

The guidelines I have seen say tongue weight at least 10% of total trailer weight. I have rigged a bathroom scale and a 2x4 as a lever to check tongue weight. If you can lift the tongue, it's too light

Is there a rule of thumb for weight distribution?

Depends on the load, what you're putting in. I want the trailer tongue to be heavy enough that I have to strain to lift it off the ground and get it on the hitch.
I try not to put more than 20% of the weight behind the axel. If it's a really heavy load i want the bulk of it mostly over the axel, but just in front of the axel so that 1st rule is followed. If the trailer tongue is light you've got trouble looking for a place to show up.
I'm talking single axel trailers here and smaller double axel.
Someone else can speak to the big stuff, 5th wheel or something over 16 feet.

Been behind a towed trailer when it started whiplashing. Scary as hell. First straight away, I passed and kept on going.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back