Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

trail and road standards

diamond hitch

I know this will likely fall on deaf ears but here goes. I went out yesterday for a little conditioning on a segment of the continental divide trail. I know that maintenance is on a volunteer basis but minimum safety standards should be attempted. The tread is usually 14-16 inches but I learned to maintain pack bump space of 4 ft on both sides of the trail. What I experienced were logs cut at chest height, 18-20 inches wide. Leaners below 10 ft should be pulled down. I get lazy like everyone but I see some crazy stuff out there.

Similar issues on roads. If you can clear it for a vehicle in August, cutting it 4 ft wider so you don't slide into it during elk season shows fore-thought and planning. I don't like lectures anymore than anyone else but as us old guys exit the environment we ought to leave some standards learned from a lifetime.

Now let the grumping begin.

I'm with you Diamond Hitch. I see this often where a tree has been cut, leaving just inches of clearance for a full size truck. I don't know why people can't cut another foot off each side. Pisses me off. I pulled out my chainsaw and widened some of these cuts during elk season.

Been my pet peeve forever. It's no more work to clear the whole road or trail than it is to clear a small hole to squeeze through. I don't understand the thinking I guess.

I dig what you are puttin' down @diamond hitch.

No extra effort required to really do the job for yourself and your fellow adventurers. Follow that Golden Rule

(I bet you were good at rewinding your VHS rental tapes too!)

(PS: Not trying to be a punk)

Attachments

• 1601517790387.png
    1601517790387.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 1
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back