traeger type grills cheap versions

Purchased ours at Academy hank...they're definitely convenient, and I'm happy to have it in the tool bag, but you simply cannot duplicate firebox/offset smoke flavor with em....or I can't.
I agree 100%, buddy of mine has a bar and grill, he’s a pretty good grill man. He picked up enough catering to buy a rotisserie, charcoal/wood smoker with an offset firebox. His bbq went from good to amazing. I fancy myself to be a pretty good barbecuer as well, and I have worked for years to get my ribs to the level as his. It just doesn’t seem possible with a pellet grill. That being said, I own two, and the convenience is awesome, but they just won’t turn out “competition” quality IMO.

Pure smoke & time.
My best smoked salmon was that Tyee we smoked for 3 days on Alder against a Cedar log with branch canopy in BC.
The best ham & bacon came out of that hillside model I rebuilt ,1920 origin. Cobblestone firebox.

I will be happy I'm sure.
That stuff they labeled thick Hickory smoked is just bacon,they must have waved the hickory at it as the truck left...with the thin slice. Rio likes it at least.

…low and slow Hank, smoke tube the hell out of it. Wrap, sip slowly, sip some more. The high settings are for searing tomahawks and cleaning the grill.

PitBoss 850 $550 ,done. It was the only model not assembled...LOL Dozens of each brand.
Has all the gizmos,but also what I need. They have a cover too. Tons of pellets & chips.
Got new air hoses & dormant spray too.
Long day and made it back before the snow started.

So I assembled it and did the burn off yesterday. Took me a while to figure out it's just an electric grill with a smoker.
Not a raisable grill with an unlimited supply of hardwoods around. And not a stone firebox with smokehouse.
But it will do I think.
It's way fussier & such than I thought. Time. Takes time.
So with the blue gizmo folks can adjust settings,with their phone....they still have to be there to put it on. LOL

3 hours into 1st bacon on it.

So I assembled it and did the burn off yesterday. Took me a while to figure out it's just an electric grill with a smoker.
Not a raisable grill with an unlimited supply of hardwoods around. And not a stone firebox with smokehouse.
But it will do I think.
It's way fussier & such than I thought. Time. Takes time.
So with the blue gizmo folks can adjust settings,with their phone....they still have to be there to put it on. LOL

3 hours into 1st bacon on it.
Hank I have mixed feelings on all those extras ( wifi, temp probes, etc..) on the newer grills. I read alot regarding all manufacturers and short life span of certain electrical components. I wonder if the heat cycles, along with possibly under powered circuitry leading to the short life spans. Running wifi, two temp sensors, etcc could possibly overload it. I run a 2015 Treager elite and it has zero add ons. Just the dial to turn it on. I can say that it is used 4-6 nights a week during the summer and 2-3 time a week during the winter and everything on it is original. I clean it out maybe once or twice a year. I do take a ball of tin foil to the temp sensor once a year as well. I use a battery powered weber temp sensor and even that is only on pork but or brisket.

Isn't the whole religion of smoking meats is sitting there and babysitting it all day long? Drink some beer, etc..? I never leave the house when there is meat on the smoker... EVER.

And yeah a smoke tube is wonderful. I will be cold smoking some pork belly on friday after it is done brining this week. Nothing like homemade 1/4" thick bacon.

Hank I have mixed feelings on all those extras ( wifi, temp probes, etc..) on the newer grills. I read alot regarding all manufacturers and short life span of certain electrical components. I wonder if the heat cycles, along with possibly under powered circuitry leading to the short life spans. Running wifi, two temp sensors, etcc could possibly overload it. I run a 2015 Treager elite and it has zero add ons. Just the dial to turn it on. I can say that it is used 4-6 nights a week during the summer and 2-3 time a week during the winter and everything on it is original. I clean it out maybe once or twice a year. I do take a ball of tin foil to the temp sensor once a year as well. I use a battery powered weber temp sensor and even that is only on pork but or brisket.

Isn't the whole religion of smoking meats is sitting there and babysitting it all day long? Drink some beer, etc..? I never leave the house when there is meat on the smoker... EVER.

And yeah a smoke tube is wonderful. I will be cold smoking some pork belly on friday after it is done brining this week. Nothing like homemade 1/4" thick bacon.
yeah,I was afraid to go look at my meter...LOL
Do not have any of the wifi crap set up and won't. The probes are in the bag still. Next time.
I have a meat thermometer. That stayed in the house.
6hrs was a bit much, temp wise. I found out how to just run smoke @ 180. Excellent color & smell.

Threw on some burgers and that was a learning experience. How to turn up temps & keep smoke.
I just wound up smoking them for a while then cranked it & opened the sear plate.

Flame broiled burgers ,beans & fresh bacon for dinner.
Damn the bacon is good. Very meaty.

I spent the day smelling smoke & pruning my fruit trees. And napping. Stuffed now.
Took out 2 more slabs to cure. Maple Hatch Chile Bacon coming up.

Masterbuilt makes an indirect, thermostat controlled charcoal smoker/grill. Will get up to 700 deg. A friend swears by his, I think one is in my near future. I love the Traegers, for smoking, but just don't get hot enough for other cooking techniques.

Masterbuilt makes an indirect, thermostat controlled charcoal smoker/grill. Will get up to 700 deg. A friend swears by his, I think one is in my near future. I love the Traegers, for smoking, but just don't get hot enough for other cooking techniques.
I've been looking at these too. Char grilled makes one as well.

You guys got a link?
Masterbuilt Gravity Series® 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

Char-Griller® Gravity Fed 980 Charcoal Grill | Char-Griller

Masterbuilt Gravity Series® 560 Digital Charcoal Grill + Smoker

Char-Griller® Gravity Fed 980 Charcoal Grill | Char-Griller

Thank you

Just used an Oklahoma Joe for the first time today and was very impressed. My last pellet grill was a Traeger, which did the job, but I wasn't impressed with the thin metal and a high temp of 425. Low temp in sear mode was around 450 on the O.J. grill, high temp was 675. Looking forward to smoking a butt this weekend. They can be had for under $600, quite a good deal from what I've seen so far, hopefully it holds up over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back