Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

traeger type grills cheap versions

I had a traeger and really liked the way it cooked, but Jesus it built with thin materials, and I can't justify purchasing another. I'm watching this thread closely

I have a Traeger and it’s been good. I do find for some things it’s not enough smoke but I use a pellet smoke tube to solve that issue.
That said if I was buying another and didn’t want to spend as much as a Yoder I would get a pit boss for sure and not a Traeger.

I have an insulated blanket for mine and it works well up in North Dakota Winters
Same here, also in ND. Before I received a fitted, insulated cover for my pellet grill I used a cheap welding blanket purchased from Harbor Freight. It works well keeping the temps more stable on those cold, windy ND days.

Same here, also in ND. Before I received a fitted, insulated cover for my pellet grill I used a cheap welding blanket purchased from Harbor Freight. It works well keeping the temps more stable on those cold, windy ND days.
very nice moose in your picture!

I'm still breaking in my first pellet grill. I went with the Camp Chef Woodwind, and so far have been happy. Good smoke, and easy to use.

I shopped around last spring and wanted a pellet grill. I looked at a bunch of different models/versions. TBH, I looked at Traeger Grills, and wasn't that impressed with the "quality" for the price. I'm sure many will disagree, but look at the fire box and sear panels in various makes, they are almost identical, as in probably made in the same factory in China. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between them and "cheap" pellet grills, other than the flashy name badge and the controls on the auger. The metal used in the body on the Traegers are pretty thin, like cheap gas grill thin. They may have revolutionized the grill market, but they are pretty cheaply made now. Their profit margin is either high, or they had to sacrifice quality to maintain. I have a friend who has 3 of them, long story, big house and he doesn't like going up and down stairs... He has 3 different generations. The older one is the best made, its like 15-18 years old but he did put a new auger in it.

I bought a Pit Boss, combo propane and pellet smoker. I think I paid $600 on sale. I wouldn't call it cheaper quality, its better made than the Traegers. Its a beast and I really like the propane option for when you want an actual flame grilled steak and seared steak, which is really hard to do on a pellet grill with such a small flame box/searing area. I also like the propane when I don't have 2 hours to cook dinner. Yes all those recipes that say 20-30 min on the pellet smoker... double that. :D The Pit Boss is better made has thicker box and holds the heat well. I can also indirectly smoke on it, things that need cold smoking, like cheese or lox. The smoke can be channeled to the propane side, and the heat doesn't follow. Even on the smoke setting with a single chamber grill, it still gets too hot on the pellet side. I also have a big smoker that I use for meats, fish etc.

Was just looking at the store today, I think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger pit boss. Looking at the Austin xl.

A co-worker has a Zgrills 700 and loves it. I just pulled the trigger on one today. I told my wife be prepared to gain 20 pounds and spend more money!

I shopped around last spring and wanted a pellet grill. I looked at a bunch of different models/versions. TBH, I looked at Traeger Grills, and wasn't that impressed with the "quality" for the price. I'm sure many will disagree, but look at the fire box and sear panels in various makes, they are almost identical, as in probably made in the same factory in China. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between them and "cheap" pellet grills, other than the flashy name badge and the controls on the auger. The metal used in the body on the Traegers are pretty thin, like cheap gas grill thin. They may have revolutionized the grill market, but they are pretty cheaply made now. Their profit margin is either high, or they had to sacrifice quality to maintain. I have a friend who has 3 of them, long story, big house and he doesn't like going up and down stairs... He has 3 different generations. The older one is the best made, its like 15-18 years old but he did put a new auger in it.

I bought a Pit Boss, combo propane and pellet smoker. I think I paid $600 on sale. I wouldn't call it cheaper quality, its better made than the Traegers. Its a beast and I really like the propane option for when you want an actual flame grilled steak and seared steak, which is really hard to do on a pellet grill with such a small flame box/searing area. I also like the propane when I don't have 2 hours to cook dinner. Yes all those recipes that say 20-30 min on the pellet smoker... double that. :D The Pit Boss is better made has thicker box and holds the heat well. I can also indirectly smoke on it, things that need cold smoking, like cheese or lox. The smoke can be channeled to the propane side, and the heat doesn't follow. Even on the smoke setting with a single chamber grill, it still gets too hot on the pellet side. I also have a big smoker that I use for meats, fish etc.
I'm seeing the combo is $799 right now at my local Lowes. I like the Digital control look.

I have a mild bbqing obsession and went really deep into the pellet grill research rabbit hole. I settled on a rectec. Even without a blanket I never have a temp swing of more than 5 degrees and that's in the middle of no where in ND. I also cannot stand things rusting and the rec tec is stainless all around. My brother has a pitboss and for the price is a very good deal, but his is 5 years old and rusting out. So he's looking at getting a rec tec as well.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back