Caribou Gear Tarp

traeger type grills cheap versions

I must be the exception. Read too many threads extolling the virtues of pellet grills. Last year, after my propane grill burners gave up the ghost for the third time I bought a pitboss, with the sear panel. I think it's like a taurus Judge, it does two things, but does it excel at anything? Yeah, it can kinda smoke, and with the sear panel, it can kinda sear a steak, doesn't do either one particularly well. I can get consistant temps with my oven in the kitchen, too, doesn't mean it is the right place to cook a brisket, or ribs. I've been trying to love it, but just can't. Since the kid works most nights and it's just my wife and I, I've been looking at small propane grills to cook dinner, on, I've still got the vertical smoker, for when I want to smoke things. When I find one I want, the pit boss goes away.

I have a mild bbqing obsession and went really deep into the pellet grill research rabbit hole. I settled on a rectec. Even without a blanket I never have a temp swing of more than 5 degrees and that's in the middle of no where in ND. I also cannot stand things rusting and the rec tec is stainless all around. My brother has a pitboss and for the price is a very good deal, but his is 5 years old and rusting out. So he's looking at getting a rec tec as well.
Brother in law has the rec tec. First class no doubt.

I shopped around last spring and wanted a pellet grill. I looked at a bunch of different models/versions. TBH, I looked at Traeger Grills, and wasn't that impressed with the "quality" for the price. I'm sure many will disagree, but look at the fire box and sear panels in various makes, they are almost identical, as in probably made in the same factory in China. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between them and "cheap" pellet grills, other than the flashy name badge and the controls on the auger. The metal used in the body on the Traegers are pretty thin, like cheap gas grill thin. They may have revolutionized the grill market, but they are pretty cheaply made now. Their profit margin is either high, or they had to sacrifice quality to maintain. I have a friend who has 3 of them, long story, big house and he doesn't like going up and down stairs... He has 3 different generations. The older one is the best made, its like 15-18 years old but he did put a new auger in it.

I bought a Pit Boss, combo propane and pellet smoker. I think I paid $600 on sale. I wouldn't call it cheaper quality, its better made than the Traegers. Its a beast and I really like the propane option for when you want an actual flame grilled steak and seared steak, which is really hard to do on a pellet grill with such a small flame box/searing area. I also like the propane when I don't have 2 hours to cook dinner. Yes all those recipes that say 20-30 min on the pellet smoker... double that. :D The Pit Boss is better made has thicker box and holds the heat well. I can also indirectly smoke on it, things that need cold smoking, like cheese or lox. The smoke can be channeled to the propane side, and the heat doesn't follow. Even on the smoke setting with a single chamber grill, it still gets too hot on the pellet side. I also have a big smoker that I use for meats, fish etc.

It's not your imagination, Traeger used to be much better quality and they are certainly not the cool innovative product they were years ago. Everybody else has caught up.

My green mountain is about 8 years old, starting to rust up some. I really like my brother's pit boss though. It just seems to have some nicer features at less money.

love my pit boss from lowes. sear grate and a lack of traeger prices made the decision easy. been working great for 3 years now. get's used easily 50-70 times a year, probably more honestly.

though i do always walk past those z grills pellet grills at kroger and wonder... anybody have one?
I’ve got the Z grill and I’ve been very happy with it. Have had it for over a year now and use it probably 2-3 times a week

I’ve got the camp chef and like it. Wonky complaint is the Wi-Fi cuts out on it sometimes. I’ve seen tutorials on how to replace the antenna so it works better

I’ve had a GMG Jim Bowie for a couple years. We use it a lot, like 100 times a year. My friend and I just catered his wife’s x-mas party using it. I love that I can stack five full cut briskets on there, and control everything with my phone - from the living room.

I’ve been using the cheapo HF welding blanket, but is probably time I get the nice blanket wrap for it.

So I have been in the rabbit hole and found I can get lost.
I found a pitboss grill/smoker made for TSC for $350 ,750 ci ,15lb bin,sear able, electric. Since I don't need to grill 40 burgers nor smoke 6 briskets it seems about right.
Smaller than most,4ft long. It will sit on a covered porch so rust should not be a problem in NM. I looked at the larger version last week,well made ,good finish. Powder coated green & black. No BT gizmo,1 meat probe,digital, 125-500 deg.
Should be able to make some bacon. Thoughts?

I found a pitboss grill/smoker made for TSC for $350 ,750 ci ,15lb bin,sear able, electric. Since I don't need to grill 40 burgers nor smoke 6 briskets it seems about right.
Smaller than most,4ft long. It will sit on a covered porch so rust should not be a problem in NM. I looked at the larger version last week,well made ,good finish. Powder coated green & black. No BT gizmo,1 meat probe,digital, 125-500 deg.
It should be great for your needs Hank. I know several people that have Pit Boss smokers and they've been very pleased with them.

Sounds like a good deal.

Pull the trigger and you won't regret it!

Looks like a road trip to Show Low tomorrow. Lowes is the only place with a bunch of several brands, in stock.
I hate box stores....

Looks like a road trip to Show Low tomorrow. Lowes is the only place with a bunch of several brands, in stock.
I hate box stores....
Purchased ours at Academy hank...they're definitely convenient, and I'm happy to have it in the tool bag, but you simply cannot duplicate firebox/offset smoke flavor with em....or I can't.

Purchased ours at Academy hank...they're definitely convenient, and I'm happy to have it in the tool bag, but you simply cannot duplicate firebox/offset smoke flavor with em....or I can't.
I know it's not quite the same, but maybe 4-6 hrs of cold smoking might help....lol, I have time.

Long cold smoke is tough outside the old firebox/offset.
I would build one but there's the no hardwood deal here. LOL It would be my 3rd if I did. Have all the materials.

The big upside is fully using the porches I'm building. Outdoors rooms. Cooking in the monsoon.
Making some real bacon again. Smoke smell.
How about maple/hatch chile on hickory smoke?
I better get those Amarillo pork bellies out of the freezer. Time to butcher up & brine.

I know it's not quite the same, but maybe 4-6 hrs of cold smoking might help....lol, I have time.

Long cold smoke is tough outside the old firebox/offset.
I would build one but there's the no hardwood deal here. LOL It would be my 3rd if I did. Have all the materials.

The big upside is fully using the porches I'm building. Outdoors rooms. Cooking in the monsoon.
Making some real bacon again. Smoke smell.
How about maple/hatch chile on hickory smoke?
I better get those Amarillo pork bellies out of the freezer. Time to butcher up & brine.
Hank pickup a smoke tube for sure. They are a great accessory for the pellet grill and cold smoking.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back