Traditions Woodsman Hawken

Got her in a few days ago! Yesterday I finally got to drop flint to frizzen and enjoyed every shot with her! I honestly didn't expect to shoot this well. I have a Traditions Kentucky flinter but I am not really into shooting flints that much until I got this hawken. It just fits me better.
IMG_6703.jpg

2 things I would change on it is the front bead sight and adjust the trigger pull a touch. Right now the round front sight is hard on my eye and the trigger is around 4 - 4.5lbs which is fine for a hunting rifle I agree, I am not just used to one that "heavy".

I am right where I want to be at 50 yards which I did all my shooting from.

I ran 16 shots of Shoot Out through her to smooth out any unknowns and then switched over to my hunting lube.
Factory bore after cleaning it when I first got it,
Snapshot000003.jpg

Snapshot000004.jpg

Snapshot000005_1.jpg

After using the break in lube,
Snapshot000000.jpg

Snapshot000001_1.jpg

Snapshot000003_1.jpg

Started out at 50 yards to see how the new Flintlock would print on paper.

I used 80gr 2fg Goex, 4fg goex in the pan, .490" round ball and both .015 and .020" patches.

I took my first shot, smiled, and knew it would be a good day!
IMG_6726.jpg

Switched over to a Shoot out patch lube to polish up the bore and remove any unknowns, and took 3 shots and then 2 more for a 5 shot group.
IMG_6729.jpg

At the very top of the bull eye area are my final shots of the day! They grouped perfectly with my #1 shot with my normal hunting lube. The 4 shots LOW left were me just fiddling around with with pan charges.
IMG_6731.jpg

The bore of this rifle is beautiful. It loads like like even shot all those shots, I didn't touch the bore once. The wet break in lube though helped keep the fouling down, but still, the hunting lube with thick .020" patches still loaded wonderfully.

I am very happy with the rifle overall.

Fast ignition, consistent spark from the frizzen, balances naturally and the butt plate doesn't cut into your shoulder and cause pain.

Back