Traditions Woodsman Hawken

Got her in a few days ago! Yesterday I finally got to drop flint to frizzen and enjoyed every shot with her! I honestly didn't expect to shoot this well. I have a Traditions Kentucky flinter but I am not really into shooting flints that much until I got this hawken. It just fits me better.
IMG_6703.jpg

2 things I would change on it is the front bead sight and adjust the trigger pull a touch. Right now the round front sight is hard on my eye and the trigger is around 4 - 4.5lbs which is fine for a hunting rifle I agree, I am not just used to one that "heavy".

I am right where I want to be at 50 yards which I did all my shooting from.

I ran 16 shots of Shoot Out through her to smooth out any unknowns and then switched over to my hunting lube.
Factory bore after cleaning it when I first got it,
Snapshot000003.jpg

Snapshot000004.jpg

Snapshot000005_1.jpg

After using the break in lube,
Snapshot000000.jpg

Snapshot000001_1.jpg

Snapshot000003_1.jpg

Started out at 50 yards to see how the new Flintlock would print on paper.

I used 80gr 2fg Goex, 4fg goex in the pan, .490" round ball and both .015 and .020" patches.

I took my first shot, smiled, and knew it would be a good day!
IMG_6726.jpg

Switched over to a Shoot out patch lube to polish up the bore and remove any unknowns, and took 3 shots and then 2 more for a 5 shot group.
IMG_6729.jpg

At the very top of the bull eye area are my final shots of the day! They grouped perfectly with my #1 shot with my normal hunting lube. The 4 shots LOW left were me just fiddling around with with pan charges.
IMG_6731.jpg

The bore of this rifle is beautiful. It loads like like even shot all those shots, I didn't touch the bore once. The wet break in lube though helped keep the fouling down, but still, the hunting lube with thick .020" patches still loaded wonderfully.

I am very happy with the rifle overall.

Fast ignition, consistent spark from the frizzen, balances naturally and the butt plate doesn't cut into your shoulder and cause pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back