Tracker ATV

I'd skip anything with the name Tracker or Can-Am on it. I have a can-am outlander. It was in the shop for 6 weeks for a steering issue and it had less than 100 miles on it. I will say one good thing about it, it does start very well in cold weather.

I have a 20 year old Honda foreman 450 that's NEVER had any issues at all. The Can-Am will be traded/sold and replaced with a Honda or a Yamaha.

I have a 20 year old Honda foreman 450 that's NEVER had any issues at all. The Can-Am will be traded/sold and replaced with a Honda or a Yamaha.

I have a 2000 Honda 450 and it is nothing but problems. I am eyeing the new CanAms. The neighbors have a Colman ATV that he never has issues with. Sometimes just the luck of the draw on what machine works well for you.

I only have experience with the following. I have had 2 Polaris, both old style 2 strokes. My new one is a 2001 and it is still going strong. I will have to replace the drive belt this year for the 1st time and some other basic stuff. The total bad is the down hill and having to ride the brakes because of the clutch system. 2 friends have the canAms and like them but have had several issues. Another has 3 Hondas 1 2007 and 2 2011 and has had no problems at all

1. Honda: The best for engineering, frame geometry, brakes, suspension, reliability, light weight.
2. Yamaha: Stronger engines than Honda per cc. Close to Honda in the other categories.
3. Suzuki/Kawi, flip a coin: excellent quality, closely following the design and manufacturing levels listed above.

These manufacturers began their ATV designs based on motorcycle frames, engines and suspensions.
The other major players started w snowmobile technology: Heavy, undersuspended, less reliable (struts, belts and clutches instead of shocks, chains and sprockets, for example).

My biases about ATVs comes from my training and experience as riding instructor. I'm done w mechanically complex bigfoot quads, even though I'm old and slow. My current atv was chosen for simplicity, handling, light weight, enough power for fun and CO high altitude, reliability, ease of maintenance/repair. And good news, those = low cost of purchase/ownership.

I would not buy one, until they have been out for awhile. I use a Kawasaki Mule FX pro side x side and it is fantastic. It is not just a play machine, so it gets worked hard. I know several ranchers/farmers that have them. They run rings around Polaris for durability. I would not consider anything else, except maybe Yamaha. Durability and warranty is my deciding factor. Kawasaki has a three-year warranty. They now have the mx version, which is a bit smaller.

On our third Can Am..two Outlanders and now a Defender. All by the book service wise, never a hiccup with the Outlanders. Took the Defender HD8 Max-XT (brand new save a 2 month deer season mind you) to Colorado last summer...took it off the trailer ran it around the lake the first morning & checked out fine. Pack it up for the day for the alpine loops & it won't turn over....deader'n hell. Called my dealer...tried everything. There's a dealer in Lake City (Colorado) but he's slammed and can't take a look. Back on the trailer it goes and 500 bucks for a rental that ran like crap .. (another story)

Get it back home & the dealer resets the ecm....a five minute fix. Not a minutes trouble since but I'm renting a jeep from now on....or just fishing.

I would not buy one, until they have been out for awhile. I use a Kawasaki Mule FX pro side x side and it is fantastic. It is not just a play machine, so it gets worked hard. I know several ranchers/farmers that have them. They run rings around Polaris for durability. I would not consider anything else, except maybe Yamaha. Durability and warranty is my deciding factor. Kawasaki has a three-year warranty. They now have the mx version, which is a bit smaller.
The Kawasaki mule is very similar to a golf cart as far as drive train and suspension. The Polaris is much more off road capable.

Will be interesting to see how this goes. Cabelas tried putting their stickers on tractors a while back and it did not end well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great reviews and some interesting stories. I am surprised with the comments on the Can-Am. I figured it would have fared better.

When I first got the 04 Polaris and just after expiration of the warranty, it developed an issue. As I was in a tight spot attempting to turn around it became stuck in reverse. I tried everything to get that thing to go into forward gear. I had to drive it all the way back to camp in reverse. That was a chore! And then load it on a trailer in reverse. I took it to the dealer and the service guy came out to look at it. He started it up, put it in forward and drove it off the trailer right into the shop. I was shocked. Well, the shop worked with the manufacture and fixed it for free, even after the warranty had expired. Seems the motor mount holes were slightly off set and had to be re-drilled to align the motor. Never an issue after that. As I stated in the original post, I really liked it. Until it became a submarine (another story). The shop that got it as a salvage after that is still using it. Moral of my comment is that dealer/shop service and warranty also makes a big difference to me. Which is one reason I will not get another Arctic Cat.

The Kawasaki mule is very similar to a golf cart as far as drive train and suspension. The Polaris is much more off road capable.

Will be interesting to see how this goes. Cabelas tried putting their stickers on tractors a while back and it did not end well.

BS. You are looking at the old style mule. That is not the fx pro. Do your home work. Polaris is not nearly as durable. Go look at all of the u-joints etc., in person and tell me that.

1. Honda: The best for engineering, frame geometry, brakes, suspension, reliability, light weight.
2. Yamaha: Stronger engines than Honda per cc. Close to Honda in the other categories.
3. Suzuki/Kawi, flip a coin: excellent quality, closely following the design and manufacturing levels listed above.

These manufacturers began their ATV designs based on motorcycle frames, engines and suspensions.
The other major players started w snowmobile technology: Heavy, undersuspended, less reliable (struts, belts and clutches instead of shocks, chains and sprockets, for example).

My biases about ATVs comes from my training and experience as riding instructor. I'm done w mechanically complex bigfoot quads, even though I'm old and slow. My current atv was chosen for simplicity, handling, light weight, enough power for fun and CO high altitude, reliability, ease of maintenance/repair. And good news, those = low cost of purchase/ownership.
Listen to this guy. 100% agree.

We have a fleet of Polaris. In 20 years I have never had a breakdown. Ever. We do regular maintenance

I used to work for the Ag dept. here in Idaho. Needed 4 additional new ATV's in a pinch so we went with Polaris since the price was so low we didn't have to bid. Biggest mistake ever. Our Honda's dealt with ag fields without a hiccup. Polaris's were in the shop with bad brakes, carb problems, broken frames, etc. I absolutely loved the Polaris in the early 2000's but quality went to poo. I personally ride suzuki and have never had one problem.

I used to work for the Ag dept. here in Idaho. Needed 4 additional new ATV's in a pinch so we went with Polaris since the price was so low we didn't have to bid. Biggest mistake ever. Our Honda's dealt with ag fields without a hiccup. Polaris's were in the shop with bad brakes, carb problems, broken frames, etc. I absolutely loved the Polaris in the early 2000's but quality went to poo. I personally ride suzuki and have never had one problem.

Interesting you mentioned carb issues. I have had a few friends mention that the electronic fuel injection was giving them troubles and the dealers service centers could not get the problems figured out.

I have yet to have a problem with my 2008 Yamaha Rhino. I bought it used with just over 1,000 mi. of gentle use. I change oil and filter more than it's called for, but oil is cheap and engines aren't. If I were to buy another one, I'd look at another Yamaha.

Back