Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Townsend Elk Slaughter II

balls-deep - I saw the video.

Speaking of Toby, did you see his hero photo with a fawn whitetail on facebook? It was just below his "death to Randy Newberg and the RMEF" topic. I love that guy.

Has FWP, RMEF, B&C or other sportsman's groups responded publicly to this yet? I know it would not curtail the problem, but pointing out to the non-hunting public that sportsman are opposed to this crap could not hurt. It seems some damage control from sportsman groups is in order. I'm certain that ethical hunters are more opposed to this than even the anti's are.

Has FWP, RMEF, B&C or other sportsman's groups responded publicly to this yet? I know it would not curtail the problem, but pointing out to the non-hunting public that sportsman are opposed to this crap could not hurt. It seems some damage control from sportsman groups is in order. I'm certain that ethical hunters are more opposed to this than even the anti's are.

MSA wrote about the first one.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...cle_80d5c4af-1df7-58ef-9397-2449f4e696c7.html

balls-deep - I saw the video.

Speaking of Toby, did you see his hero photo with a fawn whitetail on facebook? It was just below his "death to Randy Newberg and the RMEF" topic. I love that guy.

What gives with you, Bart, and Tjones are getting access to set Toby straight? I got banned by him about 2 years ago. I posted a lot less that what you fellas are.

Maybe it was his picture show of a high mountain lake that he claimed he hiked to every year that was way back in,( like 8 miles one way). I pointed out that it wasn't even a mile from the parking area.

He has a following of less than a dozen different people.

Interesting comments on that article JEL.

Does anyone know how these 30-45 vehicles were used to herd the elk onto public? I assume they weren't driving around on private.

Most of the elk didn't leave Flynn's property. They were never there in the first place. I saw a small herd near the Flynn property a few weeks ago, but the bulk of the elk are harbored on other nearby ranches.

This type of stuff needs to be policed and stopped, as it damages all ethical fair chase hunters. The same type of garbage is going on down around Jackson, WY right now as the big herds of elk and Bison are coming down out of the Parks and onto the flats where they are legal to shoot if you have the proper tags. The elk are being shot to try and cut the big population down to the number objectives, but the way a lot of the slobs are doing it is seen by Park visitors and then it gets out in the media like it has this week and it makes it look like that is normal hunting to those who don't hunt and see it. Limiting to one shot at a running herd is BS. Nobody should shoot even one time in that type of a situation and ethical hunters certainly know that. IMHO they should make the legal hunt area as far from the main roads as possible to still take a decent number of animals ethically and humanely. Then either ethical hunters will hopefully try for the tags when a little more work is involved than just sitting near the main road where tourists travel and making it look like a turkey shoot.

Regardless of Kelly's role in this, I think it does make sense to toughen up the fines, etc. I would hope we all can get behind that.

Access by public hunters to elk when they are not on the flats would help solve lots of harvest problems in addition to the herd hunts on the flats. Lots of work needs to be done on this issue. There are no easy answers.

The Legislature has removed a lot of authority from FWP to enact weapons restrictions areas due to the false furor of lead ammo regulation.

You still have to fight the bat-crap crazy Leg for the spending authority to get even part time help. The joint Revenue Committee just voted to cut $140 million from the Gov's budget, without specifying which agencies will get the burden, FWP will be squarely in the crosshairs of the appropriations committee, even though it won't help the overall budget or general fund numbers.

I'm in total agreement with your solutions, but I'm not sure we can get anywhere with the current make up of the legislature.

Maybe it's time to remove appropriation authority from the Legislature for FWP issues and do like Wyoming does with an independent agency.

Wayyy over-thinking this one.

Create a cow tag that is valid for only private lands on the areas this stuff happens, in fact, a vast majority of the tags. Consider these elk a harbored herd (as defined in the EMP), and only issue a handful of cow tags valid for public land.

When landowners call with a complaint of elk, the MTFWP can hand them a list of the successful applicants that have private land only permits. Landowners can control how many people they call.

If they don't use that list to their advantage, shut the pie hole and deal with the elk.

With a tighter restriction on the number of public land tags, you eliminate the mob...and you don't need to ask the legislature for jack chit.

Create a cow tag that is valid for only private lands on the areas this stuff happens, in fact, a vast majority of the tags. Consider these elk a harbored herd (as defined in the EMP), and only issue a handful of cow tags valid for public land.

When landowners call with a complaint of elk, the MTFWP can hand them a list of the successful applicants that have private land only permits. Landowners can control how many people they call.

If they don't use that list to their advantage, shut the pie hole and deal with the elk.

With a tighter restriction on the number of public land tags, you eliminate the mob...and you don't need to ask the legislature for jack chit.

And just how many landowners will call people they don't know? I would prefer an opportunity to use the tag that I would be paying for.

Rat Fink,

How much access do you have on those ranches now? Who cares how many people they call, they're being provided with a solution to their elk problem. If they choose to not use it, their right and their choice.

If the landowners don't call...tough chit, let the elk stay harbored up.

The idea is a solution to the problem of this flock shooting and unethical behavior, not about YOU and your need to kill an elk that you have an $18 tag for.

That's the major problem with hunting in general, its never about whats best for the wildlife, whats best for the image of hunting,...its about whats in it for ME...

Come up with a better solution, and I'll get behind it, until then try not worrying about the cost of a fuggin' Resident elk Btag and yourself.

Last edited:

This is similar to what I was originally suggesting. It is basically going back to the "old days" where cows were by lottery permit only. Successful applicants were called up and allowed to hunt for a few days. Success rate was high and the number of hunters was kept low so you didn't have the mob hunt (although it still wasn't always pretty).

Open season on the cows is relatively new IIRC.

Ideally the landowner would be limited to a list provided by the FWP, but I think landowner tags are in our future.

Back