Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tow/Recovery straps.

Huntkook

I couldn't find what I was looking for thru past post, so what recovery/tow straps do you recommend and/or use?

I have ARB strap that has worked well. Wasnt very expensive and has pulled a few vehicles out of trouble. NO hooks just loops.

Ditto what MTLabrador and Rzrbck said.

I've been watching an offroad recovery guy on Youtube who uses kinetic energy ropes instead of the solid tow straps. They seem to work quite well, although I have no personal experience with them. I'm guessing there's a tradeoff somewhere or situations where you wouldn't want any give in the strap.

Short straps are nice but I have a piece of 1-1/2" rope about 75 ft long with a loop in one end. It's come in handy when you need some distance. Always use a bowline knot so you can get it back apart. I have one that is now 2 shorter pieces when I let a friend tie the knot and we had to cut it apart, lol.

The other reason I like this is no hooks or shackles (or chains) as they are dangerous as hell when things go wrong. Piece of rope might hurt you but it won't smash your windshield and cave your skull in if something snaps or comes loose.

I've been watching an offroad recovery guy on Youtube who uses kinetic energy ropes instead of the solid tow straps. They seem to work quite well, although I have no personal experience with them. I'm guessing there's a tradeoff somewhere or situations where you wouldn't want any give in the strap.
I think I watch the same show, haha. I have a kinetic rope as well, although I have yet to use it. They look like they work well in the videos. I also picked up a couple soft shackles to use instead of the clevis shackles.

The longest heavy duty one you can find with two sewn loops instead of hooks.
This ^^^^^

I just double it up if it's "too long." I keep a 4x40 double loop 20,000lb strap I bought on Black Friday at Rural King in my truck at all times. I have used it for everything from hoisting deer to towing a broken down school bus and everything in between. Is it overkill most of the time - absolutely. Have I seen smaller and more appropriately sized straps break on the job - absolutely.

Matt's Offroad Recovery is a great YouTube Channel. I've been meaning to get some longer ropes. I have a couple shorter ones that do the job but I think some of those snatch blocks would be nice to add too.

After spending last week in Kanab and just driving around sandy areas I'm very likely to also buy those 4' HDPE (or similar) ramp/tracks for when you just can't get traction and need just a little boost.

one time i was like 6 point turning to turn around on a moffat county road in my truck in december and the truck kept going when i tapped the breaks and i slipped into the culvert.

rancher who drove by had no straps, all i had were ratchet straps from costco. was out of the culvert 5 minutes later with new permanent knot in that strap, and voila! new tow strap

I have one of the kinetic energy rope from Matt's Off Road. (y)(y) I've used it 6 times this past month and is works very well. First pull F-350 pulling Ram 2500 out of the snow and then the Ram pulling the Ford 4 more times. With evenly weighted trucks it works and works very well with more of tug than a snap when the rope gets tension on it. I also used to to pull my neighbor and his Tundra out with my Wrangler. Heavy truck bogged down in deep snow in the ditch the Jeep but pulled it out nicely. The thing I notice most is the kinetic rope is better at smooth pulling that gives the stuck rig a little help to get moving and gain traction and momentum.

I have one of the kinetic energy rope from Matt's Off Road. (y)(y) I've used it 6 times this past month and is works very well. First pull F-350 pulling Ram 2500 out of the snow and then the Ram pulling the Ford 4 more times. With evenly weighted trucks it works and works very well with more of tug than a snap when the rope gets tension on it. I also used to to pull my neighbor and his Tundra out with my Wrangler. Heavy truck bogged down in deep snow in the ditch the Jeep but pulled it out nicely. The thing I notice most is the kinetic rope is better at smooth pulling that gives the stuck rig a little help to get moving and gain traction and momentum.
Yep a good kinetic rope in 1-1.5 inch or 32,000 lbs ,
i make and splice my own 20-30ft , but these guys can make and splice a custom length https://www.knotandrope.com/

don’t cheapo your rescue rope or strap with some Amazon POS
break one and it will definitely destroy a window or tailgate, or even kill you
and never ever use a trailer ball as a hook point!!! 7/8th D-rings are cheap enough to buy

yankum website https://yankum.com/collections/kinetic-recovery-ropes

Last edited:
and never ever use a trailer ball as a hook point!!! 7/8th D-rings are cheap enough to buy
really any reciver hitch with a single 5/8" pin holding it in place. I have seen the pin break and a hitch/ball fly out in a terrifying way. Keep in mind they were yanking on a big strap with big full throttle runs. But still
While the tensile strength of a 5/8 pin is a lot the shear strength is something like 60% of that.

I would like to have a KE recovery strap

When I went mudding with the boys we had 2 inch and 4 inch straps of various lengths, barge rope, winches, etc... MOST of us had a beefy anchor spot to hook to on our trucks. I had 6 inch heavy pipe bumpers welded up and the brackets bolted to the frame with multiple 1 inch bolts. Used a big clevis to hook in to the loop. Solid stuff! Lots of times I was the tow truck yanking someone out. Knock on wood, we never had anything break pulling someone out. If it was real bad we broke out the winches. For reference, we usually ran the river bottoms and about half of us had 44 inch Super Swampers for tires. We played hard. Straps are easy to roll up and store, barge rope was powerful stuff if you had room to throw it in the back of the truck.

You watching Matts' Off Road Recovery? My son watches that, its pretty entertaining. Those recovery ropes look awesome

Rancher pulled me out last weekend with a chain looped through a tire hooked to my truck and another chain looped through the tire hooked to his truck. Worked great.
I have been shopping for a kenetic rope but all are out of stock locally.
I need to order from internets.

My truck weighs 8300#.

My recovery strap is rated for 35,000#.

With the camper, I’m 16,000#. I need one for 75,000#.

Kinetic ropes are the way to go, they may be pricey but are well worth it. You don't get the jerking and they harness some great power. Just make sure you purchase the right size for what you are wanting to possibly pull.

I sibsxrobe to that show too... I think he uses Yankum ropes, or that was the name before he branded them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back