Top 5 Tags

Mainer207

If you were a newbie and could only build points for 5 tags what would they be?

This is my first year building points and so far I’ve gone for MT deer bonus point, MT elk bonus point, WY deer, and WY antelope. I don’t have a 5th yet but after this thread I may....

Keep in mind that ideally you’re hunting out west every year/every other year so OIL tags may not be the best approach.

I am a newbie and here's what I'm doing.

MT deer/elk combo points
Wyoming deer, elk, and antelope
Colorado deer and elk.

If I had to narrow it down to five, I'd do MT (which is one license), all 3 in WY, and CO elk.

I just started really hammering the apps this year and so I am fairly new as well.
Arizona Elk
Wyoming Elk
Colorado Antelope
Colorado Deer
Colorado Elk
That's my list if we are looking for something that takes few years to draw for a reasonable hunt. There are tons of good units in Colorado so I have no desire to ever make it past 2 or 3 points for elk there. I also only plan on hunting general tags in Wyoming so hopefully 2 or 3 there as well. I plan on Colorado Deer/Antelope every 4 to 5 years and then Arizona 8 to 10.
Thats roughly my strategy for the points states
with Wyoming Antelope and whatever else I can get as often as possible.

I dont really do the point thing unless the number is low. With the exception as a wy res sheep and moosepoints: no points elk/deer/lope. everywhere else point creep aint worth playing. I am looking for a tag within 3-5 years any thing longer no interest. To many good easy to get tags out there that are cheaper (less fees) and just as fun. I would rather shot 3 elk a season every year (like i do) than maybe just one monster maybe 20+ years from now. Honestly i am good with bunches of 300-350ish bulls, love to hunt to much to play point creep, and the creep is only gonna get worse...

Reactions: LCH
Since you're already building points in MT & WY I would just pick another species from one of those 2 states. Once you start adding more states to the mix things get a lot pricier quick. Most other states require you to buy a hunting license as well as the point fee. Id either consider MT antelope or WY elk to add to your list. In MT & WY you can find multiple species in any given unit so this might help your success on each hunt too because you'll become more familiar with the areas. If money isn't a concern id take a long look at Arizona. You're required to buy a hunting license but the trophy quality on all 3 species you're interested in is excellent. Also if you don't draw you can hunt deer OTC in January when it's not too cold so you're license doesn't go to waste.

This is my first year building points and so far I’ve gone for MT deer bonus point, MT elk bonus point, WY deer, and WY antelope. I don’t have a 5th yet but after this thread I may....

Keep in mind that ideally you’re hunting out west every year/every other year so OIL tags may not be the best approach.

I would shit can the idea of ever building anymore than 1 or 2 points and focus on 5 areas/tags I could hunt ever year/every other year.

If I were limited, I wouldn’t apply for MT deer points. Not enough limited draw tags to make bonus points very meaningful. General deer tags in MT can be drawn (not guaranteed) with no pref points if you ever want to try to hunt deer in MT. Then I’d add WY elk points, and CO deer & elk points. That pushes you to six but you might as well get some value out of that CO small game license you’ll need to buy.

That combo will give you a lot of opportunity as the years go on, I believe.

Last edited:
If I were limited, I wouldn’t apply for MT deer points. Not enough limited draw tags to make bonus points very meaningful. General deer tags in MT can be drawn (not guaranteed) with no pref points if you ever want to try to hunt deer in MT. Then I’d add WY elk points, and CO deer & elk points. That pushes you to six but you might as well get some value out of that CO small game license you’ll need to buy.

That combo will give you a lot of opportunity as the years go on, I believe.

Thanks for this! I realized after I bought the deer bonus that I could’ve settled for the pref point, as I really only want general tags. You’d keep the MT elk bonus point as part of the strategy?

Thanks for this! I realized after I bought the deer bonus that I could’ve settled for the pref point, as I really only want general tags. You’d keep the MT elk bonus point as part of the strategy?

I would. There are some neat opportunities out there for elk in MT in the limited draw areas. Putting your name in the hat isn’t expensive if you’re planning to hunt elk in MT that year anyway. Those years you don’t draw the limited permit, which will be most of the time obviously, you’ll be hunting MT elk with your general tag. There’s a lot of neat country where you can hunt with your general elk license, too. Then, on the years you aren’t in MT hunting, you can simply buy an elk bonus point for $25 in the summer. Pretty cheap.

Reactions: LCH
I’m a western newbie and I’m buying WY deer, elk, and antelope. Heading out this fall for my 2nd 2nd choice antelope hunt. I was buying WY moose until they doubled the price.

I’m also buying SD antelope and Black Hills deer because they’re close, relatively speaking, they’re hunts I’m OK doing solo, and it seems like there is a good chance at success if you hunt hard. That’s my newbie 5.

Currently researching West River deer in SD and might throw in for that if I figure that’s worth it - saw it mentioned in a couple of threads and I know absolutely nothing about it. Might also start trying to figure out Montana deer and antelope.

Not the points game, but if I can get my buddy to go in we’ll start putting in for fairly good NM tags every year.

I’d just go hunting, with point creep being what it is accumulating points isn’t worth it in almost cases.

I might apply each year in multiple states with tags that have 30-50% odds. The draw periods are different in various states so you can be strategic and only draw 1 tag a year.

I’m a western newbie and I’m buying WY deer, elk, and antelope. Heading out this fall for my 2nd 2nd choice antelope hunt. I was buying WY moose until they doubled the price.

I’m also buying SD antelope and Black Hills deer because they’re close, relatively speaking, they’re hunts I’m OK doing solo, and it seems like there is a good chance at success if you hunt hard. That’s my newbie 5.

Currently researching West River deer in SD and might throw in for that if I figure that’s worth it - saw it mentioned in a couple of threads and I know absolutely nothing about it. Might also start trying to figure out Montana deer and antelope.

Not the points game, but if I can get my buddy to go in we’ll start putting in for fairly good NM tags every year.

Good call on moose! Cheaper probably and deffinately quicker to just hunt canada, alaska or lottery idaho. Why build SD deer points? Blackhill deer had leftovers on wyoming side (zone a), apply for good tag and put "zone a" as second you would hunting this year in same blackhills and still building points... just saying

This aint aimed at you newhunter as you are new to this i guess. It seems some people on many of these sites think tag application is their hobby not actually hunting. Most states have easy to get tags of one sort or another i have found even "bad"tags can have awesome results. It will take lots of hard work , couple more days off work maybe and lots more boot leather but it will reward! Dont be a democrat and wait for a handout, get off your arse and earn it! Good luck boys, 35 days till season starts and i am ready !

Even newbies can draw OIL tags so don't count that out. I know a newbie who put in for UT Muzzy Bookcliffs in order to start building points but he drew it 1st time applying. When he was able to apply again he aimed higher and again first try and he drew the Henry's muzzy, and he's a non-resident.
Treadwell Henry's buck.jpg

Good topic,

I only apply for oryx, elk and sometimes deer. I might apply bighorn and barbary as I am retiring and have time. New Mexico only.

OP. Excellent topic.

WY antelope is the best value out there when it comes to points needed vs the quality of the hunt. The good thing about WY and building points is there is no required license to purchase before you can build points. Each species can be bought completely separate and you can skip a species or add one easily without a ton of coin. CO deer is also a great value. Those would be my top 2 and I would build my strategy from there. In my opinion MT is not a great value unless you are planning to hunt general tags (NR odds for limited tags are way worse than resident odds). Utah and Nevada are not great values but can be very good long term strategy states if you want to have some epic hunts in the future. Plan for the long haul if you ever apply there. I really don't know a lot about Idaho so others can chime in there, I think the odds are pretty bad and it's too expensive to apply unless you are going to hunt general deer or elk. New Mexico is relatively cheap but it's hard to draw (I apply for the glory tags with long odds though). You can add it to your strategy but there are no points there, so just apply the years you want to hunt there. AZ is a must apply for state in my opinion but it's expensive and the wait can be long. Focus on early season deer or late season elk to get to hunt sooner.

1. WY antelope
2. CO deer
3. CO elk (because of the license purchase requirement when applying for deer) don't build points forever trying to catch the glory units, hunt muzzy or 1st rifle in the easier to draw units.
4. WY elk (general tags would be my target)
5. WY deer (cheaper route) or AZ elk and deer (more expensive route)
6. Keep going general in MT to fill out the years you don't draw any of the above

That's six so obviously I don't follow directions very well, :)

That's my 2 cents, so you got what you paid for!

Does Colorado offer a period to buy points without applying?

No, Colorado does not have that option. You need to apply through the regular draw every time with the preference code. If you are new to buying preference points I would skip Colorado altogether. Only the highest point holders get to go on the hunt every year. There is no randomness to their system. You will most likely never get to go on the hunt you would like to go on or you will be a very old man waiting for a few other guys to die so you can get ahead of them.

No, Colorado does not have that option. You need to apply through the regular draw every time with the preference code. If you are new to buying preference points I would skip Colorado altogether. Only the highest point holders get to go on the hunt every year. There is no randomness to their system. You will most likely never get to go on the hunt you would like to go on or you will be a very old man waiting for a few other guys to die so you can get ahead of them.

Not exactly, their is the hybrid draw which is random and if you are in the top point group but their aren't enough tags then it's random who in that top group gets a tag.

The are 30ish hunt codes that require more than 10pts as a non-resident... so maybe 10ish units. There are probably 100+ hunt codes that require just 1 or 2 points. So buying a prefer point may help you get into a slightly less crowded archery unit, or allow you to hunt 1st rifle, muzzy, or 4th rifle all of which are limited and require you participate in the draw.

Also I suspect CO will go fully limited soon and points will become more relevant.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back