TOO MANY COONS -HELP!!!!!!

SONG DOG

I'm trying to teach our little boy how to plant and have things grow. We started a few maple trees from seeds and we transplanted them and the coon keep digging them up.
Moth balls don't work. I can't stay up all night to try to shoot them.
I seen 4 of them by my light poll when I woke up a 1:30 and I grabbed the buck shot and the 12. Well, guess what, as I exited the door quietly them had made their way to the corn.
PLEASE HELP WITH ANY IDEAS, I'M ABOUT TO LOSE MY MIND.
I redone 5 of the trees this morning.

By the way would coyote urine work with the coons?

SONG DOG

Sprinkle dried blood around the trees,you can get it at a feed store in 5 pound bags.It will usually keep deer and rabbits out of the garden,but I don't know about coons.They don't like the smell,and it's good fertilizer.

Another thing to try is cayennne pepper,if the coons get it on there feet or nostrils when it's wet out they'll soon learn to leave the bushes alone.
biggrin.gif

Get one of those live cage traps and bait it with mustard sardines.When you catch one relocate away from your place.

There have been years that I only got one dinner with fresh corn on the cob due to those ring-tailed-bandits. I bought one of those live traps like No Shoes is talking about and have caught as many as three coons at a time, bated with sardines. Make sure that the cage is flat and the bait is all the way to the back of the cage. I also learned to put a little bit of bait at the front of the cage as a teaser.

BTW If you have skunks in the area they like sardines too.
eek.gif

Be honest we have such a coon population that if I was to relocate them. I would have to quite my job. Cuz I wouldn't have time for anything else.
Thanks,
SONG DOG

Try my method,I've used the cayenne pepper to keep dogs out of the trash before.One snootful is all it takes.

I don’t relocate them. They migrated in or were transplanted by someone. The pheasant and duck populations have taken a pretty good hit because of them. The reason I use a live trap is so if I catch the neighbors cat I can let it go unharmed.

I was out having a smoke and remembered that my neighbor had a corn patch over by the river. He took a hot wire and ran it around his corn patch about 4-6 inches off the ground. He had some coon damage, but he still had corn, we didn’t.

I live trap them I use what ever leftovers we have. What's good about live traping is that you can sleep at night. Wake up in the morning there he is. If you can shoot around your house a 22 short and dispach him. Reset your trap, and repeat as necessary.

Just be carefull with kids around, if they stick their little hands inside that live trap them rotten ol'coon will tear them up.

If you catch a skunk in the live trap, you can go get some clear plastic visqueen and cut a strip off thats wider than your trap and about 8' long.
then just hold the plastic up as you approach the trap, cover the trap with plastic and take the skunk away from the house and dispatch the little son of a gun.

the dried blood thing will not work on coon as a coon is a predator and that will just bring them to the spot where you sprinkle it, they like blood and its smell.

good luck

sly

I GOT SOME CAYENNE PEPPERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
I hope they get it in teir eyes,noise,mouth, and their paws.
Man, I sound cruel.

SONG DOG

It should work,especially if it's damp out and they step in it and get it in there nose!

I live in the country and use a stock fence charger to keep the critters out of the garden. Charger, battery, and hardware will set you back on the initial purchase, but it is effective if set up properly. One key is to bait the wire so the target critter will touch it's nose to it. I also change the height of the wires to keep it interesting.
confused.gif

Get a good Redbone and take up coon hunting.It's damn near the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Be sure to cut their pecker off if it's a boar coon.

Song Dog.....Teach your little boy how to protect his seedlings. Use his handy little sprayer and urinate around his seedlings any time he can.....this will be better than coyote urine and will give the little guy loads of fun while watching his seedlings grow and florish.....nothing like being a part of nature.

Song Dog, Coons usually don't dig up maple trees for the joy of it. Are you using some type of fertilizer that might attract them? Something is triggering this unusual behavior.
On another note I don't believe urinating around the trees will deter them and one hound will be out treed and the rest of the coons will be having their way at your place. These are lawn critters and have learned to hit on housing areas for easy food.

Well, come to think of it. There is a little peat moss mixed into it. That may be it.
Will they smell new dug up dirt and want to get into it?

SONG DOG

Glad it worked song dog...it sure is fun to watch a dog or coon that's been pestering you to death get a big snootful or try to lick it off there paws cause it's irritating'em
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back