Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Too cold for tractor?

Irrelevant

So my tractor started up this morning, though quite against its will, but then it died and would fire up but die immediately. I think the fuel was issue. I assume it was gelling either in the lines or the filter. It was 0 this morning. Would a block heater help this situation or do I just need to part it inside or...?

So my tractor started up this morning, though quite against its will, but then it died and would fire up but die immediately. I think the fuel was issue. I assume it was gelling either in the lines or the filter. It was 0 this morning. Would a block heater help this situation or do I just need to part it inside or...?
A block heater won't keep the fuel warm if gelling is the suspected issue. Once winter rolls around, it's worth running an additive in every tank.

Maybe try some diesel fuel additive for winter. That should stop the gelling at 0 degrees

I don’t think diesel would gel at 0. You definitely need a block heater. I have a skid steer and telehandler that won’t start in cold weather unless they are plugged in.

Like others have stated, get some fuel additive and if you can I'd still plug in a block heater. I try to keep a couple tractors plugged in and all the diesel is treated, we still have issues in this nasty weather. In the terrible storm we had in Feb 2019 we also lost power, we kept a couple of tractors running all night.

I don’t think diesel would gel at 0. You definitely need a block heater. I have a skid steer and telehandler that won’t start in cold weather unless they are plugged in.
I think #2 diesel will gel around 10 F. Around that temp and below I have had some pretty tough times with my old tractor. Like others said fuel additives will work once you get things moving.

I think #2 diesel will gel around 10 F. Around that temp and below I have had some pretty tough times with my old tractor. Like others said fuel additives will work once you get things moving.
We only have #2 that I know of, and I know for certain that's what's in my tractor because the last time I filled up the gas can was in Sept.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I could have "googled that" but honestly you guys are just way smarter and easier to get good answers from than google ;)

I'll tarp it, and add a block heater, and grab some additive if I can get it going, otherwise it'll just have to wait until it gets warmer. Thankfully the wind has relocated almost all of my snow onto the neighbors place and he was smart enough to plug in his tractor (I heard it going this morning).

Generally speaking from experience, when I’ve gelled up tractors its the fuel filters that have been where it gels. Pull the filters and bring them inside and fill them with straight 911 treatment for a couple hours. I’ve been known to use a torch to heat up my fuel filters right on the tractor to get going again, not that I’d necessarily recommend that solution but sometimes it’s a do what ya gotta do with what ya got when you’re a few miles from home and it’s your only way back home.

Might not be gelled fuel, but instead frozen condensation in the tank icing up the fuel line. If there is a fuel drain petcock crack it open for a moment to see if there is ice in the fuel tank.
Bad tank caps can cause that.

I assume its diesel? Block heater will usually warm the antifreeze and definitely aid in starting just may not unjell(not sure thats a word). As stated earlier, diesel 911 if its gelled and possibly (if you need it soon) throw a tarp over and torpedo heat under.
I would replace the fuel filter.

This may or may not help with your problem.
It's important to note, however, that diesel gelling only occurs at very cold temperatures, below 10°F (-12°C). If you're experiencing issues at temperatures above 10° to 15°F (-12° to -9°C), you're likely dealing with an ice issue, rather than a gelling issue.Dec 15, 2022

I worked in a refinery lab for...well al long time.

Winter grade #2 diesel will not gel at 10F. The winter pour point is ~ -30F. I don't trust that number thou, as diesel gets really thick before it fails that test.

My temperature of concern is if it's going to get colder than -15F, I top off my diesel tanks with #1 diesel.

This tractor might have summer grade diesel in it. In that case, I could see gelling as an issue.

Back