Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tone Deaf, Anti-Hunting Jason CHAFFETZ Foreshadows Trump Reversing Course

dukes_daddy, that may be the scenario in Utah, but not in Montana and other states. Agriculture has been the leading economic engine driving Montana's economy for decades, but it is about to be surpassed by the number two industry which is tourism. Montana's tourism (including hunting and fishing, but much more) is dependent on the federal public lands which hold those places special and wild. Development and resource extraction adversely impact the special and wild essence and harm tourism.

Agreed tourism is important and growing. Utah tourism surpassed $8B in 2015 and continues to grow. My point is these are often seasonal low wage jobs.

Agreed tourism is important and growing. Utah tourism surpassed $8B in 2015 and continues to grow. My point is these are often seasonal low wage jobs.

Partially true...the owners of business's that rely on tourism are not paid a low wage, you know, local business's.

Lets also not forget that many times, the higher wage jobs you're talking about with "drilling and driving coal trucks", are not done by locals at all. Most of the companies that do the drilling work are not "local"...rather bring their workers with them from Oklahoma, Texas, etc. Plus, the boom and bust cycles are NOT all roses and noodle salad for the places that experience rapid growth during the boom. The bust leaves towns underfunded, over-grown, and the locals left holding the bag with what's left of their "community".

IMO, I would much rather support a sustainable and stable economy driven by Federal lands from things like tourism, hunting, fishing, climbing, mountain biking, etc. etc., than the boom and bust of resource extraction.

Lets also not forget that many times, the higher wage jobs you're talking about with "drilling and driving coal trucks", are not done by locals at all. Most of the companies that do the drilling work are not "local"...rather bring their workers with them from Oklahoma, Texas, etc. Plus, the boom and bust cycles are NOT all roses and noodle salad for the places that experience rapid growth during the boom. The bust leaves towns underfunded, over-grown, and the locals left holding the bag with what's left of their "community".

There is a lot of truth to this, and it's quite often left out of the equation when folks throw around dollar signs about the money to be made from extractive industries. Look at towns like Libby and Colstrip as examples.

My point is that the tourism is a growing important industry which, if federal public lands are transferred and/or privatized, will likely be adversely effected, thus reducing a critical economy in Montana (and elsewhere). Yes, there are associated seasonal low wage jobs, typically employing younger folks who then become educated and trained for upward mobility. But there are also highly lucrative businesses associated with tourism which are year around and sustain the economy continuously and increasingly.

Furthermore, the growing high tech and outdoor recreational equipment industries in Montana are attracting businesses and educated / trained employees who desire to live in Montana because of outdoor recreational opportunities and attraction to the wild special places of Montana. They often first visit Montana as a tourist, typically on a ski trip, fishing trip, or some other outdoor excursion.

Last edited:
Partially true...the owners of business's that rely on tourism are not paid a low wage, you know, local business's.

IMO, I would much rather support a sustainable and stable economy driven by Federal lands from things like tourism, hunting, fishing, climbing, mountain biking, etc. etc., than the boom and bust of resource extraction.

Good point. Local owners can make a good wage.

Utah extraction business always employs locals. The state of Utah doesn't issue work visa's to nonresidents.

The sarcasm and failed humor gets so thick in these parts, combined with those who are nuts, but dead serious, I can't tell who's joking any more. So I'm probably just getting punked here. But any Texan or Oklahoman can work in Utah without a work visa. The Interstate Commerce Clause, freedom of travel and other laws prevent Utah from doing chit. I suppose the State could negotiate a contract with a private company requiring that they hire X number of locals, etc. but the States are usually the ones making concessions (tax breaks, etc.) and they don't make demands, especially when it comes to jobs on federal lands.

Assuming you were kidding, you go me. :)

The sarcasm and failed humor gets so thick in these parts, combined with those who are nuts, but dead serious, I can't tell who's joking any more. So I'm probably just getting punked here. But any Texan or Oklahoman can work in Utah without a work visa. The Interstate Commerce Clause, freedom of travel and other laws prevent Utah from doing chit. I suppose the State could negotiate a contract with a private company requiring that they hire X number of locals, etc. but the States are usually the ones making concessions (tax breaks, etc.) and they don't make demands, especially when it comes to jobs on federal lands.

Assuming you were kidding, you go me. :)

Sorry I should have clarified. Visa's only required for CA residents. In my dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. Local owners can make a good wage.

Utah extraction business always employs locals. The state of Utah doesn't issue work visa's to nonresidents.

What a bunch of nonsense, with all due respect.

I can tell you during the North Dakota boom, I extracted huge amounts of wealth from Williston, WITHOUT ever setting foot in that town.

I have ZERO affinity or concern for whatever social issues Williston now has, in the aftermath of the oil boom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back