Tom and Jerrys

idnative1948

Now that it is going into winter, does anybody have a family Tom and Jerry batter they are willing to share up. The ones from the store just don't seem to measure up to what dad made every holiday, but alas was in his head and took it with him when he passed.

Disclaimer. This is from a cousin, whose mother made them every holiday season. I was never old enough to consume, I don't know if it's good or bad.

Remember no more than 1 jigger of Bourbon or Canadian
whiskey per large mug and it’s just as good without the “light” (whiskey). That’s one of the reasons I like it so
much. It just fits at Christmas and it’s
good for you (without the booze). You
eat so much junk so this goes with the buffet. However, it is rich so you can figure 1 Cup per guest.
6 Fresh eggs, separated
2 C. Sugar
Vanilla extract to suit you
1/8 tsp of baking soda
Nutmeg
Beat the yolks until they are light yellow and thick
Rinse your beaters.
Beat the Whites until frothy. Add sugar a tbsp at a time and continue
beating until egg whites make good peaks. Gently fold in the soda and the baking soda by hand then fold in the egg
yolks. This is the batter.
Serve in mugs. Put 2
Tbsp of batter in cup. Add a jigger of
whiskey, if you’re so inclined. Fill
with Near to boiling milk. Sprinkle with
Nutmeg. Remember: This is just yummy without the booze. Also, you may want to add more batter. This 2 Tbsp is a little light.

My dad was a bartender on Catalina Island in the 1940's when Avalon was the hangout for all the Hollywood movie stars. The bar he worked was the most popular bar during December when they made Tom & Jerrys. His recipe:

Separate egg yolks and whites.
Beat the yolks to break them down, add a dash of vanilla and add confectioner's sugar stirring into the yolks until the batter will accept no more sugar. As you are adding the sugar, it will melt into the yolks and disappear until finally the sugar just stays in crystal form on the outside of the batter. Confectioner's sugar is extra fine granulated sugar, not powdered.
Whip the whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture to keep from releasing the air trapped while whipping. The batter is done when the whites are absorbed into the yolk batter with no white streaks showing.
We had special 6 oz Tom & Jerry mugs to make the drinks and mixed rum and brandy in 3 rum to 2 brandy ratio.
Drop a heaping tablespoon of batter into the mug and add 1 oz of rum & brandy. Lightly mix then slowly add boiling water while stirring vigorously to keep the batter from cooking and making lumps of cooked egg. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Thanks! This one sound closer to dad's than any I have seen so far.

My dad was a bartender on Catalina Island in the 1940's when Avalon was the hangout for all the Hollywood movie stars. The bar he worked was the most popular bar during December when they made Tom & Jerrys. His recipe:

Separate egg yolks and whites.
Beat the yolks to break them down, add a dash of vanilla and add confectioner's sugar stirring into the yolks until the batter will accept no more sugar. As you are adding the sugar, it will melt into the yolks and disappear until finally the sugar just stays in crystal form on the outside of the batter. Confectioner's sugar is extra fine granulated sugar, not powdered.
Whip the whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture to keep from releasing the air trapped while whipping. The batter is done when the whites are absorbed into the yolk batter with no white streaks showing.
We had special 6 oz Tom & Jerry mugs to make the drinks and mixed rum and brandy in 3 rum to 2 brandy ratio.
Drop a heaping tablespoon of batter into the mug and add 1 oz of rum & brandy. Lightly mix then slowly add boiling water while stirring vigorously to keep the batter from cooking and making lumps of cooked egg. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back