Todays hunt

Idaho Ron

Today was the first day out in the big desert. I have been waiting for the snakes to go away. We had some rain the last week and the birds are starting to come up out of the canyon. In this first picture Gretta has a covey pinned between us. I got this picture at about 60 yards. I put the camera away and shot a double.
f68bccf9.jpg

We got into 10 coveys today. Some were a little spooky and didn't hold at all. Others held great, and I got into them good. One of the birds fell close to the canyon edge. SO close that she pointed dead instead of retrieving. The bird fell over the lip and was hung up on a shelf. I was able to get it with out repelling :eek:
f68bccfa.jpg

I got seven birds up to this picture. After I took this picture I got another before I got to the truck to finish my limit.
f68bccf7.jpg

I can't go tomorrow so I have to wait for next week. Ron

Ron,

Couple questions. 1) How do you rig that little flag? 2) Is that the Bruneau canyon?

Ithica,
2 days ago I hunted with a guy that had a young pudel. Came out of a female in Bridgeport Ca and the stud out of Idaho. Thought he may be related to your Scout. Great dog.

This area is in the Owhyee drainage.
The flag is something I designed and made my self. The reason I use it is for long range. Gretta will push out 500 yards or more at times. If she is on point she can be hard to see. You have a dog the same color you know what I mean.
In this first picture you can see the front of the flag holder.
f68a6759.jpg

I put it together with tin, rivets, and a car antenna. I used a press to make it fit then I used silicone to protect the dog from the rivets.
this second picture shows that the flag holder can be switched from collar to collar. All you have to do is put the collar through the rings.
f68a6758.jpg

In this last picture you can see how the bell is fitted. I use a large bell with the flag . The bell keeps the flag upright and I use a loose collar to help it correct it's self.
f68a6756.jpg

37, yes I have seen sheep here several times. I love to see them when I am out chukar hunting.

Ron,

Thats a cool little rig you made! I need to get something like that. I don't let mine range as far out as Gretta (I havn't put in the training time you have). About 100 yard casts is as far as I let her go, but even at that I've lost track of her. More often than not she's on point and it takes me a minute to locate her.

I let Gretta make up her own mind as far as range goes. In the mountains for blue grouse she seldom ranges past 100 yards. If I take her out in the flat lands near a canyon she pushes out big at times, but most times she is between 100 and 300 yards out. She has been very good at comming back to check up on me and that helps me let her run on her own. She is also steady to wing and stops to flush. I know if something does cause the birds to break she will stay right there even if the birds do fly. I try to hunt a covey only once so we don't end up hunting birds that have us figured out.
When I first started to use a bell I thought it would scare every bird in the country. since then I have found that at times when the birds are running on her I think it helps to pin them down. She will point and the bell stops. They run and she relocates, and the bell starts. Sometimes I think they are afraid to fly and don't want to start the bell up again so they hold still. I don't know how they would act if they were hunted a lot with a bell. I bet they would flush wild as soon as they heard it.
Ron

I like my Innotek beeper collar with locater. Solves the whole problem of finding Scout. The beeper that goes off as soon as she's on point is great, too.

I've had it about 7 years. Maybe Dogstra and Tritronics are better now. You'll get different opinions from everyone.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back