Tobacco Root Mtns

Southern Elk

Does anyone have any info on elk hunting the Tobacco Roots? I want to take some time to scout the area this summer. I'm curious how it compares to some of the surrounding ranges? Are wolves and grizzlies there like they are farther south? Thanks for the help!

The last time I hunted it I saw hunters everywhere and very few elk. The elk I did find were in the foothills just onto the private land.

Probably only a transient griz.

Pretty much all the surrounding ranges contain wolves and griz. Look at the maps closely in the Roots so you can steer clear of areas with roads (there are a lot). Like most places, if you can get away from roads and people - you will find elk.

Heavily roaded definitely. Get away from the roads.

Hell of a lot of number "6" license plates on the east side of the range.

Some good opportunity though.

I've grown up with the roots right out my front door. Fair amount of elk in them. There are definitely getting to be some grizzlies running around, but not huge populations. If you put in the time to get away from the roads you should get into some descent hunting.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like pretty much everywhere else. Just have to get a away form the crowds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back