Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

To signup for GoHunt or not? Please share your thoughts.

Yep. Just depends on what your hunting goals and states are.
I like it. I also liked HF in the old days when Garth owned it. It was exciting to get that slick magazine.

For me it is still worthwhile. I have 11 states "on my radar" even though I only actively apply in 4-5 each year and hunt 1 or 2 in addition to my home state. My research is often spur of the moment, and I like having one place to go to to find information. I seriously think if I look at each time I've logged in, I'm at $1 per login or less...

I used it while big game hunted in multiple states. Helped me draw some "middling" hunts that Huntin' Fool and Epic do not mention usually yet had solid harvest rates of average, mature animals with plenty of public land. In some cases, I would have likely waited a decade or more to get a much nicer tag. I preferred to hunt more often for average animals. Drew tags using GoHunt data. The states that look at multiple choices if you have your application pulled from the hopper were especially useful at GoHunt. Filled all those tags, too. Average animals in a day or two of hunting public.

I like the fact that they are trying to add value. I did enjoy the subscription when I had it for several years. However there is a lot of redundancy. For me Top Rut works just as well for a fraction of the cost.

I'm gonna try Top Rut next year. I just don't apply in enough states for it to be worth while. I got into the points game not too long ago, and I don't ever plan on getting into the deep end of the points game pool at any point in life so I think Top Rut will probably work just fine for me.

Similar to what @2rocky said, it really helps me for spur of the moment research. I picked up quite a few leftover tags this year and having gohunt open in tandem really helped me make my decisions. I like having a good understanding of 1 platform and don't like sifting through a lot of the state excel sheets. In my mind it ends up being $100 because of the $50 credit you get for their store with the randy promo. They have good gear in the store and I usually end up using the credit on something I would have bought anyway.

Maybe after i've been out west for 20 years and have a pretty good idea of what tags and areas i'm going to be hunting it won't be as worthwhile but for now I like it. They usually do big giveaways for members around Christmas so I'd wait until after Christmas to get it haha

I'm unsure if there are resources for other states like this, but for Oregon, there's a great site(free, but certainly worth a donation) that gets updated every year with pretty accessible and relatively accurate draw odds/predictions for the coming year. I have gohunt for my out of state research (and no a lot of mapping, I'm liking it a lot), but for Oregon specifically, I've found this site to be really useful. It normally gets updated a little closer to the draw once data is available for the previous year.

Oregon draw odds: https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/home

Same as many have said. just depends on your strategy and goals. I use it almost daily researching multiple species in multiple states. Definitely worth it in my opinion. On top of the value, i just generally enjoy researching hunts, so that has some value as well. Really hoping their mapping app is good.

Thanks for all the replies. I think based on what was said here, I will pass on GoHunt. Besides the state I live in (Oregon), Idaho is the only other one I’m interested in hunting this coming year. So I’ll just stick with OnX and free fish and game sites. In 2022, I’ll add Wyoming, but we will see what is out there at that time. Thanks again everyone.
FWIW WY G&F had plentiful data for figuring out applications. It takes a while to figure out where everything is and how to interpret it but once you get that down it’s pretty easy. ID F&G website was much harder to navigate and I’m still pretty lost on trying to find data and know what it means.

pretty good tool and now with mapping I personally justify the cost

Skimming the previous responses, so I might have missed it, but using promo code "Randy" on GoHunt gets you a $50 credit in their retail store, effectively making it $100 to become in "Insider" (presumes you are in the market shopping for something in their store).

Overall gohunt is good for those that don't dive into the regulation and want a "shortcut". However, a good dive in and you quickly start to notice the errors that are present, which makes me think what other errors are there. Once gohunt points out a unit, the draw odds plummit drastically if it's "new" to the crowd. Everyone has the same data, how are you getting an edge? Your not...Since I stopped using it I've drawn more tags, not because I have more points but because I've been able to carve out units that are a second thought.

How many of you look at hunt success rate for a hunt? My guess is more than you might think because I've tracked units that reported > 75% that magically had more applications the next year riding success that won't be there for a multitude of reasons(success went down the following year). The less the success rate the more opportunity I see for the way I hunt, but that's just one criteria that I consider.

Good luck!

This weekend I signed up for the 7 day free trial. In my opinion I am going to atleast use it this year, because this is the first time I am applying for other states, being colorado, wyoming, and montana. What little I have used it, I believe it is a great asset to have atleast until I get my feet wet on other states.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back