Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

To dry bag or not

Pa Bowhunter

Do you guys use dry bags in your packs for a bivy style hunt?

Do you use them for everything im your pack, some, or none

What do u carry in dry bags if anything

I put my down sleeping bag in a small dry bag when I leave camp unattended. If it somehow gets wet, my hunt is over so I don’t take chances. I also use a seek outside backpack which is relatively waterproof.

Sleeping bag, pad, extra socks, and down layers are always in a roll top dry bag. That bag never leaves my pack, that stuff gets wet or ruined your hunt is over, in a super remote hunt it could kill you. My brother-in-law has had terrible luck with bags, 1 got destroyed by a bear and another was stolen on a mule deer hunt 6 miles from a trail head.

I carry a separate waterproof med kit, and waterproof matches in small canister. Cordura is pretty water resistant so I don't worry much about my other gear although I don't carry much else that can't get wet. If I'm in AK or the like were there is going to be constant rain I toss in a pack cover.

Tall Kitchen Garbage bag is cheaper and lighter and good enough for me for my down sleeping bag/quilt. Otherwise, whatever I need to sleep in, (thermal longers, socks, undies, warm shirt) goes in a dry bag so that no matter how sucky of a day it is I can at least have something dry to put on for bed.

I am a big fan of OR dry sacks. Durable, light and compress. Sleeping bag, down jacket or anything else that moisture will ruin on a hunt.

Edit - had to check, 35L is 2.5oz I have smaller and larger, but you get the idea.

I use them if its gonna be wet. If it's only a 3-4 day hunt and the forecast is dry I don't bother. A great tool to have on hand for sure.

Thru-hiker ProTip - a trash compactor bag is sub-$2 and sub-3 ounces. Just be sure to get the unscented ones. Ive had them last several weeks if you at all careful with them. My down items (puffy, quilt), the set of base layers that I sleep in, and a small bic lighter go in mine every time but Ive found that for my 40-55L bags EVERYTHING that goes into the main bag section will fit if I pack it carefully enough (minus food - which is put into individual gallon zip locks at one per day for organizational purposes). Only downside is no compression straps.
-Brian

I do not backpack in for hunting much anymore these days ,but have tons of gear still...........I have a large Cabella's packable portage drybag I carry everything that needs to stay dry. Got it for canoe camping & hunting. Holds my tents ,sleeping bags ,pads. etc.
I carry extra boots or gear in empty coolers ,in plastic trash bags. Unscented garbage bags ,heavy duty ones.
All my stuff sacks for my packs are pretty much dry bags & I have a pack cover. OR & REI make good stuff sacks.

I've got a MR Crew Cab and I always use a dry bag in the center of the pack for my gear. I'm just too used to packing that way to want to buy a different system.

I use heavy 'contractor' plastic bags to keep stuff dry when hiking. I use heavy dry bags (Cabbalas brand) when I
am on a raft hunt in Alaska , and I bring a few heave plastic bags too. If you get your sleeping bag wet you
will remember that trip.

Agree with all the uses mentioned above. Additionally, you can throw game bags in after a harvest and the cleanup is super slick. I use an EXO 5500 with a dry bag that lines the main compartment. After taking my mule deer this year I took out all my gear, put the game bags with meat in, and put my gear in other compartments. When I got home all I needed to do was pull out my dry bag and hose it off.

In my pack I have a few KUIU very small dry bags for first aid, game bag-s. I also carry one large garbage bag to put a game bag with meat inside so my pack doesn't get bloody.

I use Kifaru ultra lite pull outs for my pack organization. I carry a medium dry bag for food and extra space. I dont use it for packing meat. If I need to keep a clean pack I carry a plastic garbage bag.
A dry bag is good to have and you can find some that weight next to nothing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back