To All The New Elk Hunters.......

sreekers

And I know there are a lot of you based on the number of threads admitting such.

Another writer and I are working on a blog series to help out the DIY, rookie elk hunter be successful. We have a series of topics already picked out, but I want to make sure I cover all of them. What topics, or questions would you want addressed?

Why does grandpa joe have pics of him and his swwet bull he killed wearing his red suspenders, flanel buttondown and denim jeans - yet, our superstar t.v. hunting gurus promote wearing $1,250+ in garb?

A list of the best OTC units in each state would be handy.:D

I fall into this category. I'll be doing my first elk hunt (archery) this fall. I've been doing a lot of research and reading as much as I can on elk hunting for a few years so I'm not sure what other information I'm looking for at this point. I'm sure once I get out there I'll think of some things I should have asked.

What topics are you already considering?

Why are license applications more difficult than quantum physics?

....except to Oak.

I'll be heading to Colorado this fall for my first ever Elk hunt. As a newbie who has absolutely zero experinece, ANY information you can provide in you blog series will be greatly appreciated. Answering Oak's question would be nice though! Ha! Thank you for taking the time to help out the DIY rookie.

I think a key point for newbies needs to really emphasize how big of an animal an elk is. A lot of newbie elk hunters are fairly experienced deer hunters and think they will just gut it out and drag it out. They probably haven't thought ahead on what happens when they get an animal on the ground a couple miles from the nearest road on a sunny fall day with temperatures in the 70's or even 80's some years.

Also I think a heavy emphasis on getting in decent shape and being physically prepared for the hunt is important.

A list of the best OTC units in each state would be handy.:D

I fall into this category. I'll be doing my first elk hunt (archery) this fall. I've been doing a lot of research and reading as much as I can on elk hunting for a few years so I'm not sure what other information I'm looking for at this point. I'm sure once I get out there I'll think of some things I should have asked.

What topics are you already considering?
You and me both...not sure what else to look into....what state you headdin to? :cool:

I think a key point for newbies needs to really emphasize how big of an animal an elk is. A lot of newbie elk hunters are fairly experienced deer hunters and think they will just gut it out and drag it out. They probably haven't thought ahead on what happens when they get an animal on the ground a couple miles from the nearest road on a sunny fall day with temperatures in the 70's or even 80's some years.

Also I think a heavy emphasis on getting in decent shape and being physically prepared for the hunt is important.

This^^^^ I went on my first elk hunt as a drop camp in Colorado. Once dropped off, we were, more or less, on our own. I was fortunate enough to shoot a small bull opening morning and truly had no appreciation for how much work went into getting that elk off the mountain. I was lucky to have a friend with me that had experience -- without him it's safe to say I would've been completely overwhelmed.

There are so many questions a new elk hunter should think about and the answers are very dependent on the style of hunting that is taking place. For example:

- Is this DIY, drop camp, or guided?
- Will you be on foot or have access to horses?
- What are your accomodations going to be? Lite tent (backpack hunt), wall tent (outfitter/drop camp), lodge (outfitter)?
- What time of year are you planning on hunting elk?

I think those few questions right there are probably the ones that will drive the feedback new elk hunters need more than anything else. I've experienced a range of answers to the questions above, and the equipment, tactics, conditioning, and knowledge I've needed has varied greatly based on those answers.

We are working on the first two installments, and should have the first out very soon.

Below is a list of some of what we plan to cover. One of the early installments will be about deadlines, and for the most part OTC tags that are available.

1. Figuring out where to apply-Also will cover weapon choice(archery, rifle, etc.)
2. Once you have a tag, picking out where to go.
3. Map Scouting, and scouting in general-I plan on a LOT of pictures for this one, identifying elk country.
4. Getting in Hunting shape.
5. Meat Care
6. Equipment needed.

The series is going to be geared for the DIY hunter and hopefully will be one that guys bookmark and keep coming back to. Keep the ideas coming, it is helping me a lot.

We are working on the first two installments, and should have the first out very soon.

Below is a list of some of what we plan to cover. One of the early installments will be about deadlines, and for the most part OTC tags that are available.

1. Figuring out where to apply-Also will cover weapon choice(archery, rifle, etc.)
2. Once you have a tag, picking out where to go.
3. Map Scouting, and scouting in general-I plan on a LOT of pictures for this one, identifying elk country.
4. Getting in Hunting shape.
5. Meat Care
6. Equipment needed.

If you'd like I can write #7

7. How to be the sexiest elk hunter on the mountain

Sorry, can't help myself at times;)

Back