Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tire chains for truck

I have a 2016 F150 Lariat and chains can only be placed on the rears. I have the Titan ladder chains with v-bar links. They seem to work well enough, though I'd love to be able to put a pair on the front.

I'm in a similar boat here- have a '17 RAM 1500 Bighorn. I put a set of KO2 on it (based on their performance in my little Patriot- 80k and still going strong), and they've been solid on those sketchy Forest Service roads on both vehicles.

I'm interested in getting chains, but I don't spend much time in the Breaks, or deep snow, so I've been putting it off. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for this? Not looking for naysayers, party poopers, or any generally unhelpful curmudgeonery, which seems to abound on this site.

I'm in a similar boat here- have a '17 RAM 1500 Bighorn. I put a set of KO2 on it (based on their performance in my little Patriot- 80k and still going strong), and they've been solid on those sketchy Forest Service roads on both vehicles.

I'm interested in getting chains, but I don't spend much time in the Breaks, or deep snow, so I've been putting it off. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for this? Not looking for naysayers, party poopers, or any generally unhelpful curmudgeonery, which seems to abound on this site.
Heard good things about those truck claws. I have temp chains that I use. Basically segments of chain that you ratchet through the rim to get out of a tricky spot. Haven't had to use them, but they are like this:

I've used these folks 3 times now https://www.tirechain.com/ and also I bought extra links and chain to adjust for the bigger tires when I switched from a 2500 to a 3500. I also read up on the forums (before purchasing) about the little Tacoma I got for tax purposes and it too doesn't take chains on the front. I carry chains in my trucks permanently. Best thing for bad conditions.

I ran rear vbar chains on the rear of my 13 ram 1500 with 285-70-17 bf ta ko2. I did use zip ties to pull the break line in to make a little more space. No way to even run cables on the front.

Not the same at all but I have a 2018 f150 4x4 that will not take chains on the front. It is common these days to no be able to have them on the front wheels. I suggest you measure or get a set for the back and try them on the front. If they fit, buy a front set too. I tried the set I got for the back and it was not even close...

You might look into wheel spacers. I’m in the same boat.

If you need to get through or out of a situation, chains will do what no tire can. As for chaining the front, I always chain up the front first if I don't chain up all 4 wheels. The chains with cross bars and cam tighteners will give you the best traction...

107_0268.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8547.jpg

Here's what I've found, for trucks that have tons of clearance up front the standard are vbars. However, those trucks are far and few between anymore. So my family has all started using Peerless Auto-Trac's, they are very low profile and have fit all our rigs, from CRV to Tacoma to Tundra. They still provide enough traction to get you out of places. Just don't use them to get you into places (at least that's my cardinal rule- always have one more level to get you out vs in to a place).

that looks like a fun time excavating that GMC out

Nope, we were chained up on all four tires and pushing all that snow. We were too buried in the snow to push any farther forward, as you can see, I couldn’t get out the door on the driver’s side and crawled out the window on the passenger side to walk to where we were seeing the elk.

When we got back, I just backed out, chains are great...

Im in Glasgow MT now. got sucked into a ditch filled with drift. no chains on. fuuuuuuuck. spent some time digging and wedging in rocks. luckily there were rocks

It’s amazing how few of the new pickups will take v-bars on the front.

I had a 2006 GMC 2500, that with v-bars on it would go many places it shouldn’t have. I had a hell of a time getting the doors open one day to scout a turnaround location.

Yeah they are. Have an independent front end GMC that takes chains. Don't leave home without them. mtmuley

Back