Tire chains for truck

802flyfish

I've been looking for chains for my Ram 1500 for off-road use during hunting season. Quite a few options out there.. Curious as to what people are using ?

I don't have a set my self, but note the fronts can't be chained without modifications to the front end...

Side note, do you have a limited slip rear differential?

I don't have a set my self, but note the fronts can't be chained without modifications to the front end...

Side note, do you have a limited slip rear differential?
Aww. The classic "I don't actually have any but let me tell you all about it" post. I have chains for my 2500 for snow and mud and have used them in both. The front end is really where they do the most good and I like a decent heavy chain with good grousers. Big thing is make sure they fit good and always chain up the front first and all 4 if it is really bad.

Aww. The classic "I don't actually have any but let me tell you all about it" post. I have chains for my 2500 for snow and mud and have used them in both. The front end is really where they do the most good and I like a decent heavy chain with good grousers. Big thing is make sure they fit good and always chain up the front first and all 4 if it is really bad.
Aww the classic " I don't own a 1500 and don't understand that the front end doesn't have physical room for chains so I'm going to bash the guy being helpful for it"

Last edited:
Aww the classic " I don't own a 1500 and don't understand that the front end doesn't have physical room for chains so I'm going to bash the guy being help for it"
I have owned a 1500 as well and you don't know what year or anything.

I have a 92 W150 (Doug) and I run chains like this https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...92/dodge/w150-pickup-4wd?q=tire+chains&pos=15 with great success (had the same style on my YJ prior to this). Prior I had a 91 F350 and had the big super stout, old school chains. While I am sure those chains are more durable if you were using them a lot they are also a PITA to put on comparatively. I only need the chains for hunting trips. Something else I have noticed is that the diamond style chains is better lateral grip/stabilization.

Spend the money and order heavy duty chains. They saved my ass on the breaks the first year i was there. Cable chains or small chains no bueno. On a 4x4 1500, how is it that chains dont fit up front?

Spend the money and order heavy duty chains. They saved my ass on the breaks the first year i was there. Cable chains or small chains no bueno. On a 4x4 1500, how is it that chains dont fit up front?
The newer trucks have an A arm that limits the clearance between the tire and the A arm. Just slide your hand along the inside of the front tire to find out

Why the hell make a 4x4 pickup that doesnt take chains? Wth? Good thing to ask before spending 6Ok on a truck i suppose

It's more common than you think these days, when most trucks are sold for on-road use only anymore they don't have to make sure the rest of us end up with the equipment and options we need for off-road... :rolleyes:

It's more common than you think these days, when most trucks are sold for on-road use only anymore they don't have to make sure the rest of us end up with the equipment and options we need for off-road... :rolleyes:
well shit. like i said. I guess it’s one of those questions you need to put into your list of questions before buying a new truck. normally you wouldn’t think to ask that question when buying a 4 x 4

TRUCK CLAWS. Google it if you havnt Hurd... get a pair they work awesome . Work with all trucks.

try promo Code “Randy”....... prolly won’t work but I try it everywhere

well shit. like i said. I guess it’s one of those questions you need to put into your list of questions before buying a new truck. normally you wouldn’t think to ask that question when buying a 4 x 4

I'd be shocked if a salesman would be aware of something like that, it's always better to find out yourself before buying...

I'd be shocked if a salesman would be aware of something like that, it's always better to find out yourself before buying...
I've always found most don't have a clue about that, know nothing about axle gear ratios, don't know what a limited slip differential is, or know what size fuel tank the truck has....

Back