Caribou Gear

Tire chains for 2019 Chevy 2500 18 inch tires

freu1chr

Looking for the best chains i can get for my truck. Headed to Montana next week and am thinking it would be best to have a set. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just a reminder be careful about putting them on the front tires

Just a reminder be careful about putting them on the front tires
Care to elaborate @golfer ? I just ordered a single set because my manual indicates that I shouldn't use them on the front. I assume it's related to tight clearances on new trucks, but if it's more about idiot proofing than I might order a set for the front as well.

Care to elaborate @golfer ? I just ordered a single set because my manual indicates that I shouldn't use them on the front. I assume it's related to tight clearances on new trucks, but if it's more about idiot proofing than I might order a set for the front as well.
Modern pickups do not have clearance for chains up front. They'll either hit the wheel well or some sort of important component behind the wheel. You may be able to use a "P" Passenger rated cable system up front but even then it's a tight fit.

Using chains up front like mentioned with tight clearance can cause issues. Some manuals go as far to say warranties are voided if you use them on the front end.

Using chains up front like mentioned with tight clearance can cause issues. Some manuals go as far to say warranties are voided if you use them on the front end.

That's what I figured, on a 2020 Titan Pro-4x I've got ~1 inch clearance all the way around on the front (stock tires) so an S-Class may fit (though not recommended via the manual) but my discussion with tirechains.com folks indicated the S-Class are not capable of handling any off-road use which is basically the entire point of them for hunting. Oh well, I guess in this case discretion is the better part of valor and avoiding needing to chain up all four is the right approach.

I bought 2" wheel spacers for my front so that I at least have the option to chain up all four if needed. I need to double check this weekend that those spacers won't create clearance issues anywhere else, but they look like they should work.

I bought 2" wheel spacers for my front so that I at least have the option to chain up all four if needed. I need to double check this weekend that those spacers won't create clearance issues anywhere else, but they look like they should work.
That'll move the wheels outboard to avoid stuff near the axles, but is that going to help with the wheel well?

That'll move the wheels outboard to avoid stuff near the axles, but is that going to help with the wheel well?

I have plenty of wheel well clearance right now. I'm having trouble visualizing if adding the spacers will create an issue, though. I'm going to throw one on this weekend and check it out. I have a 2" leveling kit on my truck, which gave me a bit more clearance.

I have plenty of wheel well clearance right now. I'm having trouble visualizing if adding the spacers will create an issue, though. I'm going to throw one on this weekend and check it out. I have a 2" leveling kit on my truck, which gave me a bit more clearance.
I think the clearance manufacturer refers to is the break lines. Not wheel well clearance.

I think the clearance manufacturer refers to is the break lines. Not wheel well clearance.
Huh, it must vary between vehicles, I've got plenty of brake line clearance stock but at certain steering angles I only have 1" to the front of the wheel well.

There are a few things to consider, upper control arm clearance, brake line clearance, body/wheel well clearance. Also, just because they look all well and good in a static position doesn't mean things will be just as rosy when you introduce up and down wheel travel and frame flex.

As an update to this, I just got back from a trip where I put many miles on my 2016 F150 with chains on all four. I have 18" wheels. I have a 2" leveling kit on the truck and also had to put 2" wheel spacers on the front to get clearance to the upper control arm. I drove everything from plowed, paved roads covered in ice to remote mountain "roads" with snow over the bumper. I had zero issues with the chains and got into and out of places I'd have not stood a chance without them. I think I'm going to trade the 2" wheel spacers for 3/4" offset wheels to keep things more simple. It should still allow me to have enough clearance to safely run the chains.

Back