Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tips for getting in shape for backcountry

Interesting article, but doesn't seem conclusive. The author states "respiratory muscle training significantly improved performance on breathing-related tests." What would be a more appropriate test for the discussion here would be to take 2 groups of similar athletes, train one set with and one without the mask, then take both to altitude to see how they handle it, or am I missing something? I already have the mask and have noticed it's more difficult to train with it on, so I might as well keep using it.

being a flat lander at sea level the only thing worse than training for a hunt is not being trained for a hunt it sucks and is like all training to someone who doesnt like training very boring . my life saver has been pod cast and audio books it helps pass the training time keeping my mind off how much it sucks.

I know everybody says to get your cardio in order. But, get your gut in shape to take stress off your back. Get the rectus and the abs tightened up by doing core work. If your dunlop hangs out farther than your ..... do and you plan on hauling loads your back will not like you.

All of the above is great advice. Keep in mind that you need to be stretching and properly warming up and cooling down before and after a work out. Injury prevention is going to be just has important as training. Start small, set goals, get off the trails and roads to build up your ankles and break in your boots. Walking through dead fall back east will give you a workout and workout the hotspots in your foot gear. If you have never dead lifted or squatted research it before going into the gym. If you are going to invest in an elk hunt you might think about investing in a trainer for a month to get yourself started in the right direction.
RLTW

Thanks everybody! I'm in halfway decent physical condition as I've worked out 3-5 times per week for the past ~10 years and have used trainers on and off when needed. I had no major issues on my Scottish Highlands hunt w/ ~10 miles/day (other than realizing my hiking boots needed to be replaced), but I realize it's not quite as high. I probably do need to add weights into my cardio routine as some have mentioned...

This is a bit unconventional, but it will leave your legs burning and have you gasping for air. Go to an empty parking lot, put your car/truck in neutral and push it. Can be done walking or going all-out as a "sprint". Obviously keep safety in mind, so doing this with a partner who can stop the vehicle is best.

Sleds are another great tool to bump up your conditioning if you have access to one.

I've seen the posts above about the mental issues. There is one thing that elk hunters do not lack in is those same mental issues. It's amazing to see grown men act like covert CIA spies over an animal.:D

This is a bit unconventional, but it will leave your legs burning and have you gasping for air. Go to an empty parking lot, put your car/truck in neutral and push it. Can be done walking or going all-out as a "sprint". Obviously keep safety in mind, so doing this with a partner who can stop the vehicle is best.

Sleds are another great tool to bump up your conditioning if you have access to one.

Interesting idea with the vehicle, but with my luck, I'd face plant. ;)

I do a lot of weighted pack training and increase the weight as it gets closer to the hunting season. Check out the training bags at www.onustraining.com. They are leak-proof, made to go in your hunting pack, and easy to adjust the weight as needed. The intent is to train with your existing pack and not have to use random objects or leaking bags of sandn that are hard on our packs. They have a max of 100lb bag and a smaller max of 50lbs.

I have the best luck with a mix of cardio, strength training my core, and hiking with 60-70 pounds in the pack I take. Make it a lifestyle and do a little bit all year round vs trying to cram it all in before season. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back