Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tips for fall Turkey (archery)???

Mossy-Back

I’ve been trying spot and stalk, and trying to sneak around ahead of where they are going but they always see me and spook or get to my setup spot before I do.

Is sitting and waiting in a blind the only viable option here?

I've busted several fall flocks up and called them back together. That has worked to bring several birds into bow range in the fall. This was in eastern woodlands, I'm not sure what terrain you are in, but having thick enough foliage to split the birds up and have them lose sight of each other is important.

I’m in a valley surrounded by grass seed fields in western Oregon. The area I’m hunting has a few fields about 5 acres surrounded by some hardwoods dividing them. They usually see me before I could get close enough to bust them up.

I’m in a valley surrounded by grass seed fields in western Oregon. The area I’m hunting has a few fields about 5 acres surrounded by some hardwoods dividing them. They usually see me before I could get close enough to bust them up.
I guess when I say eastern woodlands, I should say midwestern field/pasture/woodlot interfaces. Worked great in a couple cow pastures that were about the size of the grass seed fields you describe above. Drawing a bow on turkeys without a blind is a serious PITA.

Last edited:
Find where they are roosting and bust the flock up in the evening at roost time or in the gray dawn. Then call them back together. Depending on the make up of the flock it could take 15 minutes or it could take 1/2 a day for them to start talking again, but when they do, they can be called back to the spot of the break. Young birds will start up pretty quick. Older birds take longer. With a flock of young birds it isn’t un-common to hear every noise a turkey makes from kee-kees to gobbles from the young jakes. Try to get between the brood hen and young ones, you’ll never beat her. Young gobblers are really fun. They will gobble and strut and fight with each other. It can be really fun.

I second @huntnpack try to bust them the best you can then sit in the bushes or under a tree and call them back to ya. Almost full proof..getting the shot is the hard part.

Turkeys are pretty tolerable of popup blinds, or a natural blind will work. If you can pattern their travel to and from the roost area maybe you can set up to intercept them going or coming.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back