Tipping what’s the standard?

AvidIndoorsman

Do you tip a transporter in AK (self owned business) ? To be clear this is not a guide just someone who is renting some gear and flying you in and picking you up.

I think I would, they are doing you a service. Tip what you can.

I think you would. Now I wouldn't say tip at the normal guide level, I would think in that 5-10% range would be reasonable if everything is in good order, like: got you in in a reasonable time, gear all worked out and wasn't trashed when you got it, etc.

I personally use tips to reward a good experience, so if something was seriously off I wouldn't tip. Like if I got out there and the wall tent they rented me had a big hole in it I wouldn't be tipping. Stuff like that...

I used a backcountry transport service in Maine and tipped 8% It was an hour-long trip and the guy was friendly and engaging, asked me questions about my trip, and offered some helpful advice. It was very clear from the first 5 minutes of the ride that he was expecting a tip, and that he was going to work hard to earn one. I thought this was entirely fair, and was happy to tip. Even if he did a marginal job I still would have gave a tip (maybe 5%) because I would want him to be committed to the pick up! So, make sure to tip both ways to grease the wheels after the first leg. So in the end that's actually a 16% tip. Typically for the transporter, the tip is their profit, and the fee mostly pays their overhead.

Good question. I always tip transporters, but they are basically charging me for flight time vs. a "outfitted" type hunt for the most part. I know they are not making much money dropping me off. Different animal those "package trips." There is a lot of fat built into some of them. If I had a good trip and things went well, I would tip for sure. I do think there is a line as far as % of total cost vs value of the tip though. Id' toss in a couple hundred.

Good question. I always tip transporters, but they are basically charging me for flight time vs. a "outfitted" type hunt for the most part. I know they are not making much money dropping me off. Different animal those "package trips." There is a lot of fat built into some of them. If I had a good trip and things went well, I would tip for sure. I do think there is a line as far as % of total cost vs value of the tip though. Id' toss in a couple hundred.

Tipping is a weird, thing... sounds like if I give the pilot a couple hundred when we get back to civilization I'm acting appropriately.

Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:
From my experience. Many hunters or fishermen do not tip the owner of the company. Actually pilots in SE Ak are not tipped that often any way. If an employee is flying you, you could tip him. Or like mentioned above the contractor went above & beyond your expectations, then it's what you think.

Many times even when I guided as well as my guide partners ... they would get tipped but, but as the owner, I would not. But if I was the main guide ... say we had two hunters and we both guided separately, I would usually get a tip also. Or even if I was the only guide sometimes I would not get tips and sometimes I would. Mileage varies.

But 10% or 20% rule usually does not apply to a $6000 to $12000+ contract most of the time. But some clients were surprisingly generous and some were not. But we always appreciated all tips we received whether it was just $20 or $50 because that's all the hunter / fishermen could really afford or a $1200 rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back