MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tipping Guides?

YoungNVHunter

My wife is getting ready to go on a guided Elk hunt and is paying quite a bit for this adventure. Is it customary to tip the guide? If so how much?

I think it is, I don't really know though. I just talk to plenty of guys who tip with boots in the $400 range...:)

10 - 15% is typical depending on how hard he worked for you. Don't forget yer wrangler and camp cook. I usually tip the cook $75 - $100. I had a wrangler once who was a jerk. I didn't tip him. If the outfitter is yer guide I probably wouldn't tip him.

10-15% is customary. I'd say it depends on the price of the hunt. With the more expensive hunts, I think the lower percentages (10%ish) are ok (something $5k+). If it's less than $5k, I'd say closer to 15% is more in the neighborhood.

Make sure tip is based on effort and attitude not success or not. You could shoot a 380 bull on day one or grind for a week at not get a shot....which one took the effort and positive attitude.

I tipped my Newfoundland moose guide $400 and he was ecstatic. That indicated to me that most people did not tip him that much. He was a fantastic guide and definitely needed the money more than I did. That would have been about ten percent of the actual hunt price. I also gave him a new DMT diamond stone which he thought was the best thing since buttered bread. His wife-or as he said it-his "wiff", was the cook and I gave her $50 or $100 (don't remember for sure).

I would just say to tip as much as you feel comfortable doing depending on quality of service etc.

Just don't give them something like a knife or other item they already have. When you show them your gps, boots, knife, pack, clothes, etc they may act impressed but they probably don't' need or want that stuff. They don't' make house payments like cash will.

As was said before, base your tip on effort not just results.

I tipped my guide 500 and the cook 100. The hunt was 4500 and although I was successful, I would have tipped them this anyway, as he worked extremely hard for me. I think he was more excited that I killed an elk than I was, since his previous clients couldn't seal the deal. I only went guided because I cannot learn to elk hunt here in WV. The knowledge gained was invaluable. Next time will be DIY.

I agee that most guides are already going to have the gear with them that they like and need, I would stay away from purchasing gifts.

Tip what you feel is right! There is no right or wrong answer. The largest tip I ever gave was to my BC goat guide last year. Although I didn't get a goat he busted his tail day in and day out. He worked harder for an animal for me than anyone ever had! They ceratinly appreciate whatever you give them!

I was a licensed guide, working for a outfitter in Idaho for years. I made 1200.00-1600.00 per month plus room and board depending on the year. During the 8 week season, and a 3-4 weeks before/after setting up/taking down camp, a guide will work very long, hard hours. During the hunts, we were up a 4-5am taking care of stock and to bed at usually 11pm, 7 days a week and 8 weeks long. A guide spends a good 18 hours a day with a client usually not more than 10 feet from him.

At times, your life could depend on your guide and you guide has to trust you with a loaded firearm.

If I received 0-200.00, the client was considered un-respectful. If that client returned for a hunt in the following years, I would place him with a less experienced, less friendly guide. Just the way it was. I agree, as with any sort of tipping, the worker needs to earn it and not expect it.

Think about how much the total trip is costing you, about how cool was the guide and did he really care about you. His job is keeping you safe, making sure you had a great experience, and doing is best to get you game.

400-500.00 is a decent tip on a week long hunt, 600-700.00 will show you care, 700-1000.00 will get you VIP treatment if ever returning for a hunt.

Cool things like binos, spotting scopes, guns, knives, if good quality, also are much appreciated. Most guides I know, do not have the resources for great equipment, and if given some, the memory will last a life time. I had a client had me a custom knife at the beginning of a 7 day hunt. He said this is yours, if we get an elk that you can use it on, or not. Cool way to start off a relationship.

If the guide is the outfitter, than I don't see the need of a tip unless it is something that has meaning to you, not money. Cooks and wranglers appreciate some loving too. Usually 100-200.00 from each hunter will really be great.

This is just my opinion, the guide should be fun, hard working, and have safety first in his mind.

I was a licensed guide, working for a outfitter in Idaho for years. I made 1200.00-1600.00 per month plus room and board depending on the year. During the 8 week season, and a 3-4 weeks before/after setting up/taking down camp, a guide will work very long, hard hours. During the hunts, we were up a 4-5am taking care of stock and to bed at usually 11pm, 7 days a week and 8 weeks long. A guide spends a good 18 hours a day with a client usually not more than 10 feet from him.

At times, your life could depend on your guide and you guide has to trust you with a loaded firearm.

If I received 0-200.00, the client was considered un-respectful. If that client returned for a hunt in the following years, I would place him with a less experienced, less friendly guide. Just the way it was. I agree, as with any sort of tipping, the worker needs to earn it and not expect it.

Think about how much the total trip is costing you, about how cool was the guide and did he really care about you. His job is keeping you safe, making sure you had a great experience, and doing is best to get you game.

400-500.00 is a decent tip on a week long hunt, 600-700.00 will show you care, 700-1000.00 will get you VIP treatment if ever returning for a hunt.

Cool things like binos, spotting scopes, guns, knives, if good quality, also are much appreciated. Most guides I know, do not have the resources for great equipment, and if given some, the memory will last a life time. I had a client had me a custom knife at the beginning of a 7 day hunt. He said this is yours, if we get an elk that you can use it on, or not. Cool way to start off a relationship.

If the guide is the outfitter, than I don't see the need of a tip unless it is something that has meaning to you, not money. Cooks and wranglers appreciate some loving too. Usually 100-200.00 from each hunter will really be great.

This is just my opinion, the guide should be fun, hard working, and have safety first in his mind.

So, the size of the tip generates what service the hunter gets after already PAYING to hunt with you? That sort of bullshit is why this sight keeps getting bigger with hunters who would rather do it ourselves and fail, than to pay people like you.

So, here's a question. I'm an EMT. Because I'm a volunteer and don't get paid, then by your resoning I should let my patients die because I don't get paid....? Afterall, I'm providing them a service...

Last edited:
IdahoRob;2321238 If I received 0-200.00 said:
I've been on a number of guided hunts and your exactly the type of guide/outfitter I wouldn't book with. I tip better than average, but if I ever found out it wasn't enough and I had a crappy future hunt as a result, I'd bad mouth the guide and outfitter on every hunting website there is for as long as I could type. Glad to hear you're out of the business...

Sounds about right. Just like a waiter at a restaurant. If you tip them well you will get treated well, if you don't then expect to be ignored. Just the way it is.

If you go on a $5,000+ hunt ant tip $100 to the guide and stiff the kitchen help then don't plan on coming back and if you do expect the worst guide available and the worst hunting spots and the worst meals and service. It's not rocket science. Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Treat them like $h!t then expect to be treated like $#!t. If working a 18 hour day for a week is worth a $100 tip then expect to get $100 worth of service the next time you hunt with the guy.

So, the size of the tip generates what service the hunter gets after already PAYING to hunt with you? That sort of bullshit is why this sight keeps getting bigger with hunters who would rather do it ourselves and fail, than to pay people like you.

So, here's a question. I'm an EMT. Because I'm a volunteer and don't get paid, then by your resoning I should let my patients die because I don't get paid....? Afterall, I'm providing them a service...

I was a guide, not an outfitter, do you know the difference? The OP was asking about tipping a guide. Like I posted I made 1200.00 to 1600.00 a month. Average that out in an hourly wage for some of the toughest work out there. I did not get paid from hunters.

Just telling you like it is. I have spent time and know/hunt with many guides. Believe me or not.

This site gets bigger because most have an open mind and listen to experiences of others even if they don't agree. Attack away there big boy. Those keyboard caps sure knocked me out.:D

Last edited:
Your wife should talk to her outfitter about what is customary for tipping guides. Some outfits are different than others. Your guide, if he takes his work seriously, will work hard to fill your tag whether you tip him nothing or $1000. I've had guys stiff me who knew they wouldn't be coming back, others for issues with they had with my outfitter. Having been a guide for a few seasons now, I'm not really a fan of tipping. I think it's just a bad system. Basically if you were satisfied with your guide, tip the recommended amount. If he was better,more; worse, less.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back