Yeti GOBOX Collection

Time of day elk tactics

FredoTwoWheels

Hey Randy, Im on the side of a mountain right now at 1pm on an archery hunt and it got me curious what would be the appropriate thing to do at this time, glass, call, take a nap, or go for Dilly Bars. Honestly though, it would be great if you incorperated a time stamp im your videos so that an amateur like me has an idea of when I should be doing, not just what. That would be pretty helpful to me and I am sure other people as well. Attached a photo of my veiw, it's pretty, but so far fruitless.IMG_6020.jpgIMG_6021.jpg

How the heck are you on the internet in the back country? Nice pics, sorry I have no suggestions for you. Mid day I usually go back to the spike camp & air out my clothes, purify water, tidy up camp & take a nap in the sun.

Midday can be hard. Don't be afraid to throw a few bugles and/or cow calls out, though. If they're hot, you might get one to sound off for ya. Then you either move in on him, or wait for him to get up to feed in the evening.
You can also sneak through the black timber on north-facing slopes, looking for antlers or tan patches on the ground. I have put a lot of miles on the ground, though, and that has happened exactly one time. And I blew it anyway. If you are going to take a nap, (which is a good option, imo), I would find a wallow or at least a nice north slope with thick timber to snooze in.

You can also sneak through the black timber on north-facing slopes, l

This is what we do. Trying to play wind can be tricky when you get down in some draws, cool wind down there can make thermals swirl. Still, that's where they will be bedded. We walk about 30 yards. Stop, glass, listen, maybe call.

Haha, I was on the tallest mountain around, so I actually got pretty good reception! Thanks for the tips guys, this is my 5th day, haven't seen a single elk yet, going to try to cruise some timber patches tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

Haha, I was on the tallest mountain around, so I actually got pretty good reception! Thanks for the tips guys, this is my 5th day, haven't seen a single elk yet, going to try to cruise some timber patches tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

Good luck!! Best advice I can give you is keep moving till you find elk or fresh sign. Don’t be afraid to move to a different location if that’s possible. They might just be in that next drainage. Good luck again hope you find them soon.

You say haven't seen any elk yet but are you seeing any fresh sign? If not it's time to move to a different area.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back