Yeti GOBOX Collection

Time for some to go elsewhere

I've never hunted before but just this year, as an almost 50 year old dude, applied for/drew my first tag... in part because of watching Fresh Tracks and getting excited and then serious about chasing my own meat.

Just signed up for HT forum and posted for the first time today, and I have to say, based on what I read above... I'm going to like this place. There are plenty of other places on the internet for people to complain and sling mud, let's not do it here.

Thanks @Big Fin

I go out of town for four days and I have an inbox of dozens of moderation reports. Some of you have PMs from me.

I can't even begin to tell you how sick I am of this chit. I've got a lot better things to do than deal with the same people and the same behavior.

This is a hunting forum to discuss hunting, access, public lands and conservation. Talk about that is welcome. Those who wait in the wings only to come out off the sidelines and post on every politically slanted opportunity will find their passwords not working when I get home.

I agree. Political stuff will only divide us. I joined this forum to learn new techniques specifically on elk hunting, yet I see a lot of politically charged items along with trolling and useless posts where people appear to be bumping their counts up rather than contribute anything.

Me too....it’s been noticeable since about April 8th.

I wish there was a way to count the number of "Welcome to HT" posts that were totally irrelevant and noncontributory to the subject at hand. I ran a number of forums related to gaming over my lifetime and I had to set a minimum word count on posts because of stuff like this. I set it high enough people had to think out their posts rather than post something like this or a knee jerk insult or something along that line.

I am new around here. I am not one to embrace social media. I thought maybe Facebook would be a good way to keep apprised of what my grandchildren were doing. However I have a couple of relatives who drink too much and trying to get around all of the weird stuff they posted became quite irksome. The final straw for me were those that succumbed to the TV news brainwashing and were in a constant state of political paranoia and always divisive. I found the concept of "unfriending" my relatves to be rather uncomfortable so I just left Facebook and won't look back. Political division is rampant these days for the obvious reasons. Recently I was looking for a shooting range nearby with targets out to 500 yards. The contact told me that If I had a bumber sticker with "@#$%&" on it to not show up at the range. He then went on ranting and raving about this and that. I won't be joining their gun club. I just don't want to be around people like that.

I see quite a few new members joining. As the forum population grows so will the number of trouble makers. It is inevitable. You can kick people off but if they really want to come back then they will just change email addresses and monikers. Sounds like the bulk of the issues though are about those certain crybabies who had their big fat egos bruised and want to get the other party in trouble. IMHO I can offer up two suggestions: Delete the PMs without even reading them. Maybe have a reporting "in box" that goes directly to the circular file. If a post is really egregious and needs attention, then you will probably get multiple PMs from the people you know and trust. The second is to form a team of moderators with people you know will moderate in your best interest. Divide the forums between them according to their expertise. That might not be a bad idea anyway. This forum seems to be rather large and growing fast. The ol' Master Chief was a crusty Navy diver who used to say: "Grow some scales! You won't find sympathy in your seabag because it wasn't issued to you."

There is a third possibility I suppose. Send a canned reply with Noharleyet's Morgan Freeman cartoon. I laugh every time I think about it.

Politics is one of the main reasons I deleted my facebook and don’t have any other social media. I’m fine with discussing the politics of a specific subject but I can’t stand the bashing/hate and division that follows. I enjoy this forum quite a bit and would be sad to see it go, I get to learn from a lot of you who have a vast knowlege of western big game hunting as I have only deer hunted so far. And in turn I hope to pass on my small game,deer, and fishing knowledge. Thanks for what you do Big Fin

I've been traveling a ton this year. I just got back early this morning from another gig and took a few hours to just review some of the threads that seem to be the most corrosive. Those threads have some commonalities.

1. They usually have zero relevance to a public land hunting forum.
2. They are usually started by the same small group of people.
3. The pot gets stirred by the same small group of people.
4. Some only want to start/interact on threads that are politically oriented with no relevance to politics that impact public land hunting. Obviously, they should be on a different site.
5. Some struggle to have a conversation with those who have a differing opinion, thus the person results to tags, labels, and false comparatives, in all reality, raising the surrender flag to rationale discourse. Those people are of the greatest likelihood to be those in #4 above.
6. The rest of the forum members are tiring of it, as am I.​

If you show up one day and your password is not working, you will know you are one of the people above. Do not expect any warnings beyond this post.

If you self-identify that the warning is pointed at you, odds are you are correct. None of us need the continual distractions and the grade school level of interaction that occurs. I deleted some threads this afternoon. Probably more to come.

Thank you Big Fin. I decided to leave another forum for some of those reasons. I am new hear, but everyone here has been supportive and non-judgemental. We are all hear because we love wildlife, hunting, public lands, and conservation of it all. We have different opinions on a million other things and that’s awesome. That’s what our country is all about. We have to find a way to cooperate and not compete. In any competition there’s a loser...

Been a member of many different forums over the years and a MOD/ ADMIN for a few of them as well. I know 100% how you and many others feel about this.

Thanks Finn. When I retired I left the politics, and abrasive personalities at the job. I don't have the energy or life left to waste it on these people. I left one other forum because of people like you referenced.

Man, I’ve been having problems logging in lately.....

I've been traveling a ton this year. I just got back early this morning from another gig and took a few hours to just review some of the threads that seem to be the most corrosive. Those threads have some commonalities.

4. Some only want to start/interact on threads that are politically oriented with no relevance to politics that impact public land hunting. Obviously, they should be on a different site.
5. Some struggle to have a conversation with those who have a differing opinion, thus the person results to tags, labels, and false comparatives, in all reality, raising the surrender flag to rationale discourse. Those people are of the greatest likelihood to be those in #4 above.

If you show up one day and your password is not working, you will know you are one of the people above. Do not expect any warnings beyond this post.

If you self-identify that the warning is pointed at you, odds are you are correct. None of us need the continual distractions and the grade school level of interaction that occurs. I deleted some threads this afternoon. Probably more to come.
It's always been this way since the beginning of time. Some cannot be civil, they must show their lack of Consideration for others. I remember a time, way back, that we hunted farmers land in the Okanagan Valley up by the Canada border, simply because my Dad asked politely if we could.
But those times are different now because of ATTITUDES of a few. There was a place called "Clover Springs" in the Cascades above Whites Pass that the government let people horse hunt and make camp from. In 2002 I visited there and the spring was destroyed, the ground was cut to pieces by 4x4s "Mudding".
Some don't think or don't care and we all suffer because of it. Our hunt camp here in Arkansas required an Attorney and a cease and decist letter to follow the law of a hunting lease and they had almost 10,000 acres of land. Go figure, please don't let the "Few" change a great thing. It's what "They Want" to make them feel powerful.

It's always been this way since the beginning of time. Some cannot be civil, they must show their lack of Consideration for others. I remember a time, way back, that we hunted farmers land in the Okanagan Valley up by the Canada border, simply because my Dad asked politely if we could.
But those times are different now because of ATTITUDES of a few. There was a place called "Clover Springs" in the Cascades above Whites Pass that the government let people horse hunt and make camp from. In 2002 I visited there and the spring was destroyed, the ground was cut to pieces by 4x4s "Mudding".
Some don't think or don't care and we all suffer because of it. Our hunt camp here in Arkansas required an Attorney and a cease and decist letter to follow the law of a hunting lease and they had almost 10,000 acres of land. Go figure, please don't let the "Few" change a great thing. It's what "They Want" to make them feel powerful.
I should have added the "adjacent camp" needed the letter.😉

In keeping the forum like you keep your adventures, it makes for a wonderful time for those of us who love the outdoors. Many times hunting all I wanted was to shoot with my camera to capture the magnificents of the moment. Last year on our lease I had a doe and her daughter come to within 10' of me and feed for 45 minutes she hit the ground with her hoof occasionally to let me know who was in charge. Later they came back for a few minutes. The big buck following only showed for a few seconds, staying in the trees. Yet I have the pictures of it all.
A good hunt all around.
I love the way you present you love for hunting.
And my second Howa Houge rifle bought last week was your fault 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂 or so I told my wife😉😉 Thank you for the ability to share.

M

Back