Time for a new barrel..what would you go with?

Redman

I have a Remington 700 in 22-250. After countless prairie poodles, yotes, and whistle pigs she don't shoot like she used too. I was considering doing a poll but I would like to hear some specific ideas and not limit to certain categories. Of course not messing with the bolt could limit options and being a short action is limiting it already.
So let me know what you think I should do even if it is putting another 22-250 barrel back on it.

Rebarrel to .22-250 or AI it for a little more horsepower. I just ordered a Lilja. 12-14 weeks so not horrible. mtmuley
That is fine not in any hurry. AI would be interesting be closer to my .220 swift then!

Lilja, Bartlein,
I've been very happy with the X-Caliber barrels I've been doing recently also.

If going with a 22-250 would you go 18-20in threaded for a suppressor? If not would you go with a longer barrel for speed. What weight/contour barrel? Current barrel is varmint weight 24in. My other 22-250 is a 15in Encore pistol.

So what was wrong with the barrel you had on it? Sounds like your wanting to change things aa bit from something that wworked to something you hope works better. If it wereme I'd stick with the facroty style 22-250 barrel but am sure I'd get a custom barrel.Only after market barrel I've ever used is Shilen and I love my Shilen barrels. I wouldn't bet something else would not make me happy though. A barrel is a barrel and I believe one is really as good as the next so long as the maker has a good reputation turning out good barrels! In all likelyhood if your looking for a barrel that shoot's tiny groups, go with experience and reputation. Then if you really want that a lot is going to depend on how you load the ammo and shoot. I just wonder how many of us could take a rifle with a barrel shooting .250" groups with an accomplished benchrester and shoot a .250" group with it. I have read in the past where Douglas barrels are simply not that good. Then read where they are! Tell ya what, they must be doing something right, I believe theyare still around! Pick a barrel from a maker that your confortable with and go for it. Opnions are generally worth exactly what you pay for them.

So what was wrong with the barrel you had on it? Sounds like your wanting to change things aa bit from something that wworked to something you hope works better. If it wereme I'd stick with the facroty style 22-250 barrel but am sure I'd get a custom barrel.Only after market barrel I've ever used is Shilen and I love my Shilen barrels. I wouldn't bet something else would not make me happy though. A barrel is a barrel and I believe one is really as good as the next so long as the maker has a good reputation turning out good barrels! In all likelyhood if your looking for a barrel that shoot's tiny groups, go with experience and reputation. Then if you really want that a lot is going to depend on how you load the ammo and shoot. I just wonder how many of us could take a rifle with a barrel shooting .250" groups with an accomplished benchrester and shoot a .250" group with it. I have read in the past where Douglas barrels are simply not that good. Then read where they are! Tell ya what, they must be doing something right, I believe theyare still around! Pick a barrel from a maker that your confortable with and go for it. Opnions are generally worth exactly what you pay for them.
Pretty good advice Don. But if a barrel needs replaced, it needs replaced. In my case I know what the rifle is capable of. It's falling off. So, on to a new barrel. mtmuley

Send it to the correct smith, they should be able to just trim it, reset the chamber and recrown it bringing it back to like new.

Any of the big recognized barrel manufacturers would be adequate. Since you’re already setup for .22-250, seems like a no brainer to me.

If I got a new barrel, I’d consider if the twist needed to change maybe.

If you are happy with 22-250 I would stay with it. Lilja has stock twist that ship in a few weeks to your requested contour. When you ask for a specific twist not in stock it takes a while.

If your looking to change things up, I am a big fan of a 260ai with a 8 twist. Both myself and @p_ham run them and have a lot of load data for you. Or with the bolt face do a 22 Creedmoor. Just because it’s a fun round.

Pretty good advice Don. But if a barrel needs replaced, it needs replaced. In my case I know what the rifle is capable of. It's falling off. So, on to a new barrel. mtmuley
I didn't mean to suggest don't replace it, hope you didn't think so. I have a barrel that needs replaced on a rifle I inherited. 1903 Springfield full custom. Guy I got it from fired to much corrossive primers through it over the years and didn't take good care of it. Won't replace it though. Built by Paul Jaeger in 1945 and appraised in 1992 at $7500! Last four years I elk hunted it was my elk rifle. 180gr bullet got right at 1 1/4" at 100 yds. Nothing to brag about but adequate. got four cows with it, I seldom ever got a bull tag.

Good luck with the new barrel, go for it!

If you are happy with 22-250 I would stay with it. Lilja has stock twist that ship in a few weeks to your requested contour. When you ask for a specific twist not in stock it takes a while.

If your looking to change things up, I am a big fan of a 260ai with a 8 twist. Both myself and @p_ham run them and have a lot of load data for you. Or with the bolt face do a 22 Creedmoor. Just because it’s a fun round.
That's interesting. 260ai with an 8 twist! has to chase the 6.5 CM awfully hard!

That's interesting. 260ai with an 8 twist! has to chase the 6.5 CM awfully hard!
Saami on the .260 Remington is 1:10.

EABCO sells the same barrel from their accuracy shop with a 1:8 twist too.

Remington barrel

Savage barrel

I snagged a savage barrel last spring when they were $190.

So now you can run the same heavy boolets in the .260 Remington, .260 AI, and 6.5 creedmoor at the same velocity

Saami on the .260 Remington is 1:10.

EABCO sells the same barrel from their accuracy shop with a 1:8 twist too.

Remington barrel

Savage barrel

I snagged a savage barrel last spring when they were $190.

So now you can run the same heavy boolets in the .260 Remington, .260 AI, and 6.5 creedmoor at the same velocity
Yes but I think the 6.5 CM is a 1-8. Was done intentionally I understand for long range shooting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back