Tikka T3X- Tight Chamber

oxn939

Got a brand new T3X set up recently. When function testing today, bolt was tough to close with several brands of factory ammo and left the pictured ejector marks. Never been fired. One brand of factory chambered normally, two did not. Anyone know an easier fix than sending back to Tikka? Soak the chamber in solvent and bore brush it out? Polish the locking lugs? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.28.54.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.28.54.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
I’ve had 2. Both were ARs of different mfg. One mfg swapped the barrel out quick, the other took FOREVER.

I’ve seen this in Tikka’s before. I have a superlite 06 that shoots the Nosler 165 Accubond factory load exceeding well. The same round will not chamber in my uncle’s 06 T3X. It shoots other stuff well so he doesn’t mess with it. I would probably send it back.

I'd send it back to have it looked at. I have a Tikka that wouldn't chamber any of my factory ammo (Winchester / Hornady / Nosler) new, out of the box . Bolt would not close. I took it back to Cabela's and spent about 15 minutes trying to explain the situation to the person behind the gun counter. The guy looked at me like I was an idiot. Cabela's sent the gun back and the head spacing was corrected. Unfortunately, it's now my least accurate Tikka. Hope you have a better outcome.

Had an issue with my son’s 65 manbun Tikka not liking Nosler ammo. I’d bought two boxes and couldn’t even get the bolt closed on any of them. But it shot several other brands fine. So I contacted Nosler and swapped them out for new ones (took almost a year to come in), and the new cartridges worked fine. They said it had something to do with European vs US specs. Mine seemed to be more of a headspace issue than tightness though.

I'd send it back to have it looked at. I have a Tikka that wouldn't chamber any of my factory ammo (Winchester / Hornady / Nosler) new, out of the box . Bolt would not close. I took it back to Cabela's and spent about 15 minutes trying to explain the situation to the person behind the gun counter. The guy looked at me like I was an idiot. Cabela's sent the gun back and the head spacing was corrected. Unfortunately, it's now my least accurate Tikka. Hope you have a better outcome.

Update on this, got it back yesterday with a note saying "we shot one variety of factory ammo here and it was fine." I'll see if that exposure to pressure may have cleaned the chamber out or something, but there was no mention in their not about actually checking the headspace...

Update on this, got it back yesterday with a note saying "we shot one variety of factory ammo here and it was fine." I'll see if that exposure to pressure may have cleaned the chamber out or something, but there was no mention in their not about actually checking the headspace...
Sounds like they didn't really check your issue 😕. That's pretty disappointing.

Did you torque down the action screws? I have seen them end up a tiny bit "proud" in the chamber and cause a similar issue.

On the rounds you had a hard time closing the bolt on, did the rifling imprint on the bullet?

Did you torque down the action screws? I have seen them end up a tiny bit "proud" in the chamber and cause a similar issue.

Necromancing this thread as I just got back into town and have come up with the free time and willpower to give this another shot.

Bullets do not have rifling imprints- appears to be an issue with the shoulder of the case. I retorqued action screws to spec and tried four different brands of factory ammo, and of them, three got the pictured ejector marks. In the below picture are one round of Remington factory stuff, one of Federal, and one piece of brass I full length sized and trimmed, chamfered and deburred to ensure it wasn't too long or deformed in any way.

20240426_184040.jpg

So. Brand new rifle from which I *still* have yet to fire a round, that still very much has this problem, and Tikka customer service says there is no issue. What's you guys' next play? Take it to a smith? Badger CS again? Scrub the hell out of the chamber? Take it to a range and see if a few cycles of pressure breaks it in? Thought Tikkas were supposed to be the easy button...

Just to clarify my remark - it was not to re-torque the action screws but to use some type of light and bore scope to see if the screws are protruding ever so slightly into the action when properly torqued. If so then the solution is to grind them down a bit with a grinding wheel.

If not that - then I would rent go/no-go gauges (only $20 or so) - or take to local smith as others have suggested.

Send Tikka pictures and the explanation you proin your post. If you don’t get a favorable response, print the picture and print out a letter and mail it to the head of US corporate.

Back