Tikka T3x, superlite for Elk and Deer

Mike1712

Hello,

I just bought a 30-06 superlite and I want some informative detail, what ammo works for elk, and deer? I have been thinking of reloading what primer and powder? What would be a general zero 200, 215, 225 yard? Vortex diamondback 4-12x40. Just gotten into using a rifle and want people information they can give me. Thanks in advance!!

165 grain would be a nice all around load for the 30-06 for both species with real good range. I shoot 180gr Core lokts in my carbine but my shots are usually under 75 yards when tracking whitetails.

200 yard zero would be fine as well.

First, there are a hundred viable answers to your question - It's the old, "ask 10 hunters what bullet to use and you will get 12 answers" scenario.

From my perspective I would first choose lead or lead-free. If lead then Nosler Accubonds are hard to beat, but lots of other good options including Nosler Partitions, Federal Fusions and Hornady Interbond. If you go lead-free then Barnes TTSX are a top choice in my book, but Barnes TSX, Barnes LRX, Nosler e-Tip and Hornady GMX are options.

If you go lead you should be looking at 165 grain bullets (Some will suggest 180 grain). If you go non-lead you want to go down a size to get better speed (which helps the mono-bullets expand) and because with 100% retention you don't need as much weight as with lead. I would go with 150grain in TTSX, but the 165grain is an option too.

All the bullets I mentioned above are available in quality factory loaded ammo. You might want to buy a few boxes of different ones and see if you gun has a preference (yes, guns do vary in preferred bullet shape/weight/velocity/cartridge length).

If you want to hand load, I would pick the desired bullet and then get the load data from that manufacturer. That load data will give you powder options that have proven useful for your bullet in that cartridge. They will also provide a primer type. Then I like a "second opinion" and I look up the load data for the chosen powder manufacturer and compare it to similar composition, weight, shape bullets.

In general any of the big three brand (CCI, Federal, Winchester) Large Rifle Primers will work. Some like Magnum Large Rifle primers even though not required. I started with CCI primers and have stuck with them for all my hand loads - but I am sure the others would have been fine too. I only use magnum primers for magnum cartridges.

Common "go to" powders for 30-06 include H4350, H4831SC and H4895. I prefer to stick to these three as I like the temperature insensitivity of the Hodgdon Extreme powders. RL 16, RL 17, RL 19, IMR 4350 and IMR 4895 are common options too. But definitely look at the bullet vendor load data.

200 yard zero is pretty typical.

Last edited:
I’ve got 180 grain nosler ballistic tips loaded up and ready to go for this fall in my tikka 30-06. If I’m not twisting turrets I’m a 3” high at 100 yards guy

Last edited:
Great cartridge, and the Super Lite is a nice one! I'm not a fan of big, heavy scopes, but I'm not a Long Range Hunter. I like +2" high at 100 and I shoot out to 500, measure my drop as I tend to hold high at longer range anyhow. Anyhow, I used to use the +3" @ 100, but because of my tendency, I've shot over alot of animals at mid-range.
The 150 TTSX would be a good one for both deer and elk. A 150 Hornady over 59 gr of IMR 4350 will do swell on antelope, deer, coyotes, etc. Then you could pick a good 180 or even 200gr just for elk. Depends on how much you want to shoot and spend. Have a ball though!

My first rifle was a 3006. I killed lots of deer with 150-200gr bullets. Basically anything i could get my hands on. I have a T3 superlite in 7mm08 now. Its a phenomenal gun. I shoot 140 grain Nosler Accubonds. The Accubonds are fantastic in my gun so that would be the bullet I recommend. However, there are lots of good rounds out there. Based on what you want the gun/bullet to do I would pick up a few boxes (or load up a some rounds) and see what your gun likes best. I zero my gun at 200yds. Ive killed a couple nice bulls and more deer then I can count with the 140gr. My last hunt I killed a 500lb Nilgai bull (one shot behind the shoulder). Pick a good bullet. Practice. Be confident. Go hunt. Have fun. :)

I have a T3 30-06. It likes 165s and 180s, but my overall preference is a 165 NAB over I4350. Can’t really beat it, but many others will probably do just as well.

I have had really good success with 165 TTSXs, as well, and they are actually what I used to kill my elk two years ago; but I have gone back to the NABs due to cost and ease of loading for one projectile in several rifles. My Savage 116 just would not shoot the TTSX consistently.

I prefer I4350 over H4350 because you can usually find it, whereas the H4350 (like Varget) is often on backorder. I’m not 100% convinced that there is enough difference in temp stability to worry about, but some people swear by Hodgdon’s temp stability. If you go that direction then make sure that you stock up and buy it long before you need it.

Attachments

• 1E14273B-88F2-49EF-8E06-8C5D409E0B19.jpeg
    1E14273B-88F2-49EF-8E06-8C5D409E0B19.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
I have a T3 30-06. It likes 165s and 180s, but my overall preference is a 165 NAB over I4350. Can’t really beat it, but many others will probably do just as well.

I have had really good success with 165 TTSXs, as well, and they are actually what I used to kill my elk two years ago; but I have gone back to the NABs due to cost and ease of loading for one projectile in several rifles. My Savage 116 just would not shoot the TTSX consistently.

I prefer I4350 over H4350 because you can usually find it, whereas the H4350 (like Varget) is often on backorder. I’m not 100% convinced that there is enough difference in temp stability to worry about, but some people swear by Hodgdon’s temp stability. If you go that direction then make sure that you stock up and buy it long before you need it.

I use 47 grains of Varget, and I totally agree with what you said...buy it when you can find it whether you need it or not

First, there are a hundred viable answers to your question - It's the old, "ask 10 hunters what bullet to use and you will get 12 answers" scenario.

From my perspective I would first choose lead or lead-free. If lead then Nosler Accubonds are hard to beat, but lots of other good options including Nosler Partitions, Federal Fusions and Hornady Interbond. If you go lead-free then Barnes TTSX are a top choice in my book, but Barnes TSX, Barnes LRX, Nosler e-Tip and Hornady GMX are options.

If you go lead you should be looking at 165 grain bullets (Some will suggest 180 grain). If you go non-lead you want to go down a size to get better speed (which helps the mono-bullets expand) and because with 100% retention you don't need as much weight as with lead. I would go with 150grain in TTSX, but the 165grain is an option too.

All the bullets I mentioned above are available in quality factory loaded ammo. You might want to buy a few boxes of different ones and see if you gun has a preference (yes, guns do vary in preferred bullet shape/weight/velocity/cartridge length).

If you want to hand load, I would pick the desired bullet and then get the load data from that manufacturer. That load data will give you powder options that have proven useful for your bullet in that cartridge. They will also provide a primer type. Then I like a "second opinion" and I look up the load data for the chosen powder manufacturer and compare it to similar composition, weight, shape bullets.

In general any of the big three brand (CCI, Federal, Winchester) Large Rifle Primers will work. Some like Magnum Large Rifle primers even though not required. I started with CCI primers and have stuck with them for all my hand loads - but I am sure the others would have been fine too. I only use magnum primers for magnum cartridges.

Common "go to" powders for 30-06 include H4350, H4831SC and H4895. I prefer to stick to these three as I like the temperature insensitivity of the Hodgdon Extreme powders. RL 16, RL 17, RL 19, IMR 4350 and IMR 4895 are common options too. But definitely look at the bullet vendor load data.

200 yard zero is pretty typical.
I’ve got a question about factory ammo. Would the same bullet, say a 180 grain Barnes TTSX, shoot or group different out of the same rifle from different factory ammo? For instance Federal, Barnes, Buffalo Bore?

I’ve got a question about factory ammo. Would the same bullet, say a 180 grain Barnes TTSX, shoot or group different out of the same rifle from different factory ammo? For instance Federal, Barnes, Buffalo Bore?
Might and it might not. But more than likely it wouldn’t. Just have to shoot them and find out.

Last edited:
I’ve shot the ttsx 168gr 30-06, but that 150 looks like a good balance.

Currently shooting the 145 LRX and it worked great this year on my elk.

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back