Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tikka T3x lite vs Bergara B-14 Wilderness Hunter

The only COAL issue with the T3X is when going long with the 300 win mag that I know of. I can’t speak with experience about the 300 WSM mags or the short action. I do know that the magazine is the same for the non-short action cartridges. The polymer mag that came with the 300 win mag is the same as my T3 .270 win magazine. The only difference is the T3X magazine has a steel leaf insert on the pointed end.

I went AICS bottom metal for the T3X 300 win mag. I am using metal 5 round mags but am trying to get 3 rd plastic mags for hunting. I didn’t have to go with AICS, the stock mags are probably just fine. I want to experiment with some longer, heavier bullets for target shooting. Another difference is the bolt shroud is now metal on the T3X. The Tikka action may lack some features but it is bomb proof. Which is why so many Tikka actions are used in PRS competition.

The bolt shroud on the Bergara B-14 action was cast magnesium at one point and there were some reports of instances where the bolt shroud has shattered. But it appears that it was the shooter’s fault and not the action. Bergara did research and came out with the following:

The Bergara Premier action is supposed to be different than the B-14 but I don’t know what all of the differences are. The b-14 has an internally adjusted trigger while the Premier uses a trigger Tech externally adjusted.

I own an original Tikka T3 SS in 30-06, not the x version. I love it, smooth as butter on a bald monkey, very accurate with all of the hand loads that I’ve fed it (never shot a factory round through it).

A good friend of mine who is not particularly a gun guy traded into a Bergera B14 in 308, and I mounted and sighted in a scope for him. I was amazed at its accuracy with everything that I fed it, even cheap Privi Partizan FMJ.

Tikka action is smoother, but the Bergara is no slouch. I liked the fit of the factory Tikka stock well enough that I rattle canned it with textured paint for a better grip, whereas the Bergara came with a good stock with a tacky finish. Both factory recoil pads suck, but the T3x version is supposed to be improved (regardless, a Limbsaber can be purchased for either for under $50, and is easily installed). Both have plastic detachable magazines. Both are very accurate. Pick the one that fits you best and go shooting

Last edited:
Two of my hunting buddies love their Tikkas. Don't know anyone with a Bergera although one hunter was going to buy one. Off the subject but hopefully helpful. I just bought the Sauer Classic 100 recently. It is Sauer's entry level rifle. Suggest you include it in your choices. Has 1 MOA guarantee for 10 years and a host of great features like the barrel quality, safety and bedding. Available in a lot of std and metric calibers. Factory rep told me majority of cost for the rifle is in the barrel and also said due to the bedding used, fiberglass bedding would not help much. I think it competes directly with the Tikka in price and performance. Difference is in fit, appearance and features you like. Read bolt not as smooth as a Tikka, forearm too narrow and trigger reach not ideal for some shooters. All reviews I found was good and did not appear picky on ammunition. Recovering from surgery so maybe in a month or so I can range test it.

I get the fit thing... I have a hard time with Weatherby rifles, just a poor fit.

I do not understand the mags complaint... I shoot a .300 win mag and my load with 7828 has my bullets seated pretty much as far out as the mag will allow... so when popping the mag in I have to make sure the bullets are correctly seated, but compared to my rem BDL it's 1000x easier to reload/unload. I'm not really sure what could make the mag situation 'better' ?

@Red_7.08 I went with the tikka veil over the tikka lite. I was going for a one quiver rifle and IMHO the upgrades were worth the price bump.
Are u using the muzzle brake on the tikka? I've gone back and forth on a brake due to the necessity of ear protection. But next gun will probably 7mm rem mag so might need the brake. Maybe not?

Are u using the muzzle brake on the tikka? I've gone back and forth on a brake due to the necessity of ear protection. But next gun will probably 7mm rem mag so might need the brake. Maybe not?
I used it when breaking in the barrel and working up a load but I took it off after that. It greatly reduces recoil which is great for the bench but I don't notice the recoil in the field.

Check out the .280 AI - almost 7mm Mag Velocities with less recoil and less need for a brake.
I threw one on anyway because I'm trying to make a mountain rifle but in a bit heavier gun could definitely skip it.

Tikka has designed vibration dampening into their newer stocks. They also redesigned the recoil pad. I didn’t see a big difference between the recoil pad on T3 and the newer T3X pad so I replaced T3X with a Limbsaver recoil pad before I shot it. I also added a a Triad Stock pack with a 3/4” cheek riser. Added a vertical grip and a wide forearm to reduce torsion. Each of the above reduces felt recoil. I expected more recoil out of the 300 win mag even with the added mitigation, but it really is a sweet shooter.

I shoot it all day long and my shoulder is not even stiff at all. I have added about a pound and a half without the scope. The scope is short and compact but does have about average weight. I don’t need or want a brake. Then again I have never been recoil sensitive. However, I don’t practice much with my 870 slug gun.

Yeah I'm still debating the bergara vs tikka vs weatherby. I have a tikka and I like it but it's almost too light. Feel like a heavier rifle would be better for LR shooting (although I think the veil and roughtech in magnum calibres are around 7 lbs). The weatherby is nice but I hate the way the action feels. The bergara has the tacky stock reminds me of the old brownings with the gooey stock problems.

Here's a good video comparing them:

Hard to beat the Tikka, but both are probably going to be good values for you. Hold em, run the action, dry fire them if the store will let you. Then get which ever fits your budget and scratches that itch. My next rifle will be a used Tikka that I salvage, pull the action, and build a rifle off of them using a Tikka pre-fit barrel and an aftermarket stock. It probably won't shoot any better than my stock T3, but that still means it'll hang with the rest of the $$$ and custom guns out there.

I own 2 Tikka’s, 1 Howa, and a Rem 700. I would rate them in the order listed.

Back