Tikka T3

Bought a Tikka T3 lite in 308 about a year ago. Out of the box it shot about MOA with match grade ammo. Handloads with nosler partitions shot about the same after some tuning. Light rifle; easy to carry. Had all the makings of a great hunting rifles except for the recoil. I have several 308's and 300 WSM's and none of them had as heavy of recoil as the Tikka (even compared to a similar weight 308). A limbsaver slip on helped some but not enough. Ended up selling it.

Have owned t3lite in .308 since 2011. Awesome gun for a off the shelf gun. The rings blow, buy new ones with the rifle. I have Talley's.

This is also the first rifle that has shot a off the shelf ammo as well as my reloads. Mine loves the 150gr superformance SST.

I load and use 165 gr noslers no issues with shooting well under moa

Something a few of the lads are doing with their tikka t3's over here is removing the recoil pad and filling the inside of the cheap plastic stock with expander foam, it apparently helps with absorbing recoil and maybe a whisker of weight adding to the weapon. Not a bad idea and i wouldn't hesitate to do it on any tikka t3 in .243 and up if it makes the shooter handle the rifle better and increase accuracy.

I have a SS T3 lite in .300 WM. Great shooter and pleasant once I replaced the stock recoil pad with a limb saver pad. I have several brands of rifles, but the Tikka is quickly becoming my go-to.

Have any of you Montana Tikka owners checked out Mountain Tactical in Bozeman? They are making replacement bolt shrouds and bottom metal for T3s. Looks like, for less than 200 bills, you could rid yourself of all that pesky plastic. They also make an improved recoil lug.

I have the bottom metal by MT. A nice piece for sure. It is however, a tight fit for the magazine. Plastic bolt shroud doesn't bother as the rifle will perform perfectly fine with out one.

My T3 superlight has been flawless. I have the MT bolt shroud and also had the picatinney rail but it didnt match up with my current set up. Im really interested in the MT bottom metal. Regardless of how much I like the T3, I have a constant itch for a Kimber Montana in 308 or 7-08 I would prob take the plunge on one if I were positive I wouldnt get one of the lemons I hear so much about.

I have a T3 CTR in .308 and it shoots half moa with just about everything I put in it at 100. It's NOT light, though I don't mind carrying it at all. I want to find 5 Rd mag for hunting though, 10 is too many except when hunting 'yotes.

I personally reckon for the extra little money the A7 is the way to go. I love the feel of the stock over the t3 if nothing else. Both great

I'm in the process of selling stuff to buy the Tikka T3 Lite .300 Win Mag
Hoping to get comfortable with that 400-450 yard range.
I REALLY like the idea of a lighter gun.
If anyone in the Flathead Area has one for sale let me know.
If anyone has any more good info... I'm all ears!

I have 243, 25/06, 270, 7mm/08 and 308...all shoot MOA..I like the Tikka's!!!

My wife really wants one in 7mm. Just have to decide what to sell to fund it.

I try to have a limited amount of money tied up in firearms.

I got one about a year ago, 300 wsm. Out of the box the gun was very accurate ~.75MOA, with factory ammo. I really didn't like the plasticy feel to it and considering it was shooting so good, I decided to spruce it up a bit and see if I could improve on the accuracy. New B&C stock w/aluminum bedding block, small amount of glass bedding, break, fluted bolt, new bolt handle, and full black cerakote. It was a fun project and now the gun was my "go-to" all season. Its shooting about .5 MOA, still with factory ammo!

Gun Pic.jpg

Tikka T3 Hunter in .260, and T3 Lite SS in 7mag. Both shoot lights out with handloads - 168 Bergers in the 7, 140 Bergers in the 260. Haven't put any factory ammo through them, but I suspect it would also shoot decently.

I got one about a year ago, 300 wsm. Out of the box the gun was very accurate ~.75MOA, with factory ammo. I really didn't like the plasticy feel to it and considering it was shooting so good, I decided to spruce it up a bit and see if I could improve on the accuracy. New B&C stock w/aluminum bedding block, small amount of glass bedding, break, fluted bolt, new bolt handle, and full black cerakote. It was a fun project and now the gun was my "go-to" all season. Its shooting about .5 MOA, still with factory ammo!

View attachment 65443

Looks great. Thinking hard about replacing the factory stock on mine. If you don't mind me asking what is the price on the cerakote?

Looks great. Thinking hard about replacing the factory stock on mine. If you don't mind me asking what is the price on the cerakote?

The B&C stock is pretty good, little wider in the grip area than I like, but it is built for the T3 so it just drops in and there's no need for an after market lug. The cerakote job was like $150. I really like it, very durable and thats what I need!

I don't care at all for plastic anywhere but especially in Tupperware stocks.

I am getting older tho and like a lighter weight rifle.

I bought a T3 Lite just before deer season thinking I could just get a McMillan or a Boyds if the plastic wouldn't do but I don't hate it like I thought I would.

Topped it w/ a VX3 2.5-8x w/ M1 elevation turret in Talley Lightweights modified to extra low and the little bit of playing I've done w/ 120 NBTs & 150 SGKs has been extremely promising.

It's going west with me this fall for sure, plastic stock and all!

No new Tikka for us this year. Gonna put our spare money towards tags. I enter nursing school in 12 months, so we want to get in as many hunts as we can this fall.

Really wanted a stainless 7mm.

If anyone is interested Whittaker Guns was by far the least expensive place to find these rifles I could find. No affiliation, and I don't even remember how I found them.

View attachment 65443

Looks sharp....who did your bolt work?

Back