Tikka Roughtech

Nice looking setup. Did you go with 1/2” or 5/8” threads? Do you have a pic of the threaded area?
I have a new Roughtech I picked up in December and am wanting to chop the barrel because it feels super long with a can right now
1/2x28. My gunsmith regularly threads magnums 1/2x28 and has never seen an issue. I have a Banish adapter timed on so no pics of the threads but it's well into the flutes and has plenty of meat.

If you're planning on baffle strikes I recommend 5/8 threads :ROFLMAO:

Nice looking setup. Did you go with 1/2” or 5/8” threads? Do you have a pic of the threaded area?
I have a new Roughtech I picked up in December and am wanting to chop the barrel because it feels super long with a can right now
1/2x28. My gunsmith regularly threads magnums 1/2x28 and has never seen an issue. I have a Banish adapter timed on so no pics of the threads but it's well into the flutes and has plenty of meat.

1/2-28 will handle a lot more than a lot of people think. I wouldn't put them on anything over 30 cal for a high pressure rifle round. That's more for more bore swelling than anything though.

Another option, you can do 5/8-24 with a permanent collar. It requires a barrel diameter of at least .65". On most Tikkas, that's 19" or shorter.

Also, at 18" it should be .66" which is good for 9/16-24 threads without the collar.

The Roughtechs have a little bit heavier barrel than the standard Tikkas, It's pretty close to a standard Remington sporter barrel.

I should also say that I lost 150fps from factory loads. Will make that up easily with handloads.

Do the Roughtechs come with a thread protector if you want to shoot without the brake? Have thought about picking up one as an Alabama deer rifle but not excited by the prospect of touching off a braked round inside a metal shooting house.

Do the Roughtechs come with a thread protector if you want to shoot without the brake? Have thought about picking up one as an Alabama deer rifle but not excited by the prospect of touching off a braked round inside a metal shooting house.
My Ember did.

Is 1/2" the biggest you can go without the flutes being deeper than threads?

I just bought through my local dealer's website, which is actually some regional dealer network.

I have seen them on gunzonedeals too. Sketchy website but it checks out - got my 243 stainless there.

How the F did you get one? I have asked Scheels several times and they said they can't get them
I periodically check the scheels inventory online. Last week they had 2 in stock, now 1 after my order. The ember is pretty hit & miss to come by.

Just picked up a 6.5 prc roughtech. Pretty excited to get it set up. I do wish the bolt opened on safe. Planning to do updates to it in the next couple years

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back