Caribou Gear

Tightwad me

midwesterncrosshair

Wanted to buy a Montana decoy because of something light to pack around on public land. Pretty sure my Hispanic name is El Cheapo, because I don’t want to spend $70 for a real one. Made my own out of cardboard and on my first try with it, I was only able to encounter the decoy with the other public hunters heading our way. It sure did fool them, as they suddenly knelt to the ground and pulled there binoculars out to have a closer look.

Will give an update if I can get something to come from it but curious if anyone else has made a DIY decoy and had success?

Attachments

• 54F19D9E-21C6-41C0-9F3A-D7582BC3E722.jpeg
    54F19D9E-21C6-41C0-9F3A-D7582BC3E722.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 31
I seriously just thought about making one of these myself....get it on video if you can ....I'm curious if it will really work.

There's a video(I'll see if I can find it) where a younger hunter is using a homemade deke on a cornfield. He was successful. Maybe try one with head up? Or with antlers? Antlers might be better in rut? I'm just spitballing here. Heck build a herd lol.

Honestly, if there was more jump shooting available, my goose decoys would be in the bin at the Thrift Store. I much prefer walking and stalking. Of course it requires the right geography.

Hope it works for you. My hat is off to anyone who chooses DIY over expensive brand name crap made in China.

I seriously just thought about making one of these myself....get it on video if you can ....I'm curious if it will really work.
El cheapo Will try to get it filmed. I but El cheapo doesn’t want to spend +$100 on a muddy camera stick. Been rigging up my own DIY tree camera stick. I have yet to get it all put together.

Used to have an old home made angus deke when we lived on the ranch. Was pretty deadly for geese and turkeys but no bueno for anything else. Finally gave it to the neighbor for his Halloween decor, he had a “haunted farm” theme 🤷🏻‍♂️

When I was in high school I borrowed a projector from a teacher. I took it home and put the picture of an antelope on a piece of plywood to trace it out and color it in to make an decoy. That thing was heavy and awkward to carry but it worked.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back