Three Montana hunters injured by Grizzly

Europe

If this is posted somewhere I can not find it

Three Montana hunters were injured by two different Grizzly's last Monday

Was any of these hunters members of the forum ? We have quite a few Montana members

If someone finds this story, please post it up. Being hunters they were armed but used spray to protect themselves during the attacks, ----I think ???

no problem. I get news late, but did look to see if it had been posted, but obviously did not see it---my error--

My reaction was not quite as pictured by Schaaf, but was curious if those hurt were known to members or were members of the forum

my error, carry on and thank you

Friend sent me an e-mail about a Grizzly that was shot by a AK deer hunter recently after the bear attacked him. Guy shot the bear 12 times with a 7mm-08....& did not kill the bear.
Bear had eaten 2 other people & is the largest Grizzly ever recorded. They found the remains of one of the victims & he had hit the bear with a 38 4 times . Still looking for other victim.
Biggest bear I have ever seen. 1600lbs 12' tall & 6' @ shoulders.
I wish I was PC savy & show the pics. Should be on AK Wildlife website somewhere......glad I do not live near grizzlies!

This story has been floating around for 15 years, attached to a certain picture of a hunter with a big Griz. It was proven false, although the guy did have a nice bear. Just not as big as reported.
I could be wrong and a new real incident might have occurred, but it sure sounds similar. https://outdoors360.com/massive-1600-pound-world-record-bear-killed-alaskan-hunter-true-story/

Friend sent me an e-mail about a Grizzly that was shot by a AK deer hunter recently after the bear attacked him. Guy shot the bear 12 times with a 7mm-08....& did not kill the bear.
Bear had eaten 2 other people & is the largest Grizzly ever recorded. They found the remains of one of the victims & he had hit the bear with a 38 4 times . Still looking for other victim.
Biggest bear I have ever seen. 1600lbs 12' tall & 6' @ shoulders.
I wish I was PC savy & show the pics. Should be on AK Wildlife website somewhere......glad I do not live near grizzlies!

I might not be laughing at the griz situation after spending next week in the middle of grizzly central.

New top ten thread: Best bacon for bacon pants.

Seriously though, being bear aware & knowing how to deal with a grizzly charge are your best defenses. Archery is a silent game, and that's where most conflict seems to occur. Just like Sharptail hunting in September means rattlers, archery elk in MT, WY & ID can mean grizz. Being prepared both in terms of your spray & firearm choice as well as your mental preperation are key.

Signed,

The guy who put his spray in his backpack and looked like a fool trying to get it out when the sub-adult charged.

New top ten thread: Best bacon for bacon pants.

Seriously though, being bear aware & knowing how to deal with a grizzly charge are your best defenses. Archery is a silent game, and that's where most conflict seems to occur. Just like Sharptail hunting in September means rattlers, archery elk in MT, WY & ID can mean grizz. Being prepared both in terms of your spray & firearm choice as well as your mental preperation are key.

Signed,

The guy who put his spray in his backpack and looked like a fool trying to get it out when the sub-adult charged.

:) 1st point

Exactly, well said 2nd point

:) oops, 3rd point

in reference to your second point, you would not believe some of the things I have heard. "I have been told that Grizzly's are more dangerous than Brown Bears, how will I be able to tell them apart ? " one bear was at least 75 yards away and I was asked "should I spray him ?"

in reference to your second point, you would not believe some of the things I have heard. "I have been told that Grizzly's are more dangerous than Brown Bears, how will I be able to tell them apart ? " one bear was at least 75 yards away and I was asked "should I spray him ?"

When we are in Yellowstone, two of my favorite things to do are to say loudly "Well, that was anti-clamctic" when the false eruption goes off at Old Faithful, and the crowd starts to thin out, thinking that was it for the big show; and to loudly yell for my wife as we're in crowded parking lots to come over so I can spray her down with bear spray to keep the bears away.

You'd be surprised how many people think it's serious.

This story has been floating around for 15 years, attached to a certain picture of a hunter with a big Griz. It was proven false, although the guy did have a nice bear. Just not as big as reported.
I could be wrong and a new real incident might have occurred, but it sure sounds similar. https://outdoors360.com/massive-1600-pound-world-record-bear-killed-alaskan-hunter-true-story/
That's the one. Saw that it was a Brown Bear too....still,I have bear issues.
Mostly with an underestimation of Black Bears. I had to deal with them almost daily as a Park Ranger and do not trust them at all. I was good at hazing them.
Bear spray. Hair spray. It still just pisses them off, usually confusing them. I would never have used it ever,without a Real weapon as backup.
It's just me. I am wary of bears.
I am not bothered by Rattlesnakes or Tarantula Hawks but see folks flip out encountering them....

I can't believe that story is still floating around. :D Jim Urban (in the story) is a past/current HuntTalker.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back