Threading a barrel near Helena

Nunyacreek

I have a suppressor in jail and I'd like to get a few rifles threaded so that I am ready when I receive it. The first place I asked said "oh no we won't thread without the suppressor in hand" which seems ridiculous since lots of rifles come that way from the factory, and I know the depth and thread on the suppressor (Silencerco Omega). They also told me that it was 6-8 weeks, which seems a little long and furthers my resolve to do it ahead of time. My questions are:
Will a competent smith thread a barrel without the suppressor in hand? and
Anyone have a recommendation for someone in Helena/Butte/Bozeman?
Thank you...

I don't know anything about the need to have the suppressor in hand. I don't think that's necessary. As long as the barrel is thick enough for the thread I don't see the need.

I've never used him but there is a guy in Butte...Nemesis Machine. His rates seem a touch high but he might give you a deal on multiple rifles.

Capital Sports should be able to do it. They're a class III dealer and shouldnt get weird about it. Also try Dennis Erhardt at Frontier Gunshop.

Capital sports were the ones with 8 week wait who wouldn’t do it without the suppressor in hand, though I’ve had excellent experiences there in the past.
I’ll absolutely ask Denis Erhardt. Thank you.

Having the suppressor in hand will prevent any figment issues. They should be able to do it without it but it never hurts to have it there. 6-8 weeks doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. A lot of these guys are using manual machines and this stuff is time consuming and you’re at the back of the line. If you find someone without a wait list, they either have CNC machines or they suck

If you can ship it or drive to the Root, I always reccomend Dan Coffin in Victor. Some satisfied customers here on HT. mtmuley

Shoot me a message. I can put you in contact with a friend. He does excellent work. He does work on my match rifles and he’s also a competitive F class shooter. He’s in Lolo. I come to Helena somewhat regularly. Maybe I can pick it up for you.

I had 3 barrels threaded by "threadingcentral" 360 mailing process. They ship you a box, you ship barrelled action to them, they ship threaded barrel back. 2-3 weeks depending on where you are. Cheap and easy. Wouldn't do it with a top-end custom rifle but for run of the mill rifles couldn't be easier. All 4 of my suppressors shoot fine mix-n-match between suppressors including a 0.30 MOA F class savage.

I am not a machinist, but if I were to have one threaded, all related pieces/parts would be left w/ the machinist for the most perfect fit possible.
I’ve got machining experience, that is a very true statement!!!
The most IMPORTANT STATEMENT relating to machining, is “There’s no such thing as cutting too little.” You can always do 2nd or 3rd pass to insure precision. Keep in mind that if the machinist runs their business like “Fast Food” restaurant. Then don’t expect the best results

I have a suppressor in jail and I'd like to get a few rifles threaded so that I am ready when I receive it. The first place I asked said "oh no we won't thread without the suppressor in hand" which seems ridiculous since lots of rifles come that way from the factory, and I know the depth and thread on the suppressor (Silencerco Omega). They also told me that it was 6-8 weeks, which seems a little long and furthers my resolve to do it ahead of time. My questions are:
Will a competent smith thread a barrel without the suppressor in hand? and
Anyone have a recommendation for someone in Helena/Butte/Bozeman?
Thank you...
I am not sure if you still need this service but the reason why they do not thread your barrel muzzle until they have the suppressor on hand is to make sure the thread matches and it is properly indexed/timed. Some have a recommended indexed/timed setting, i.e. logo must be at the 12 o'clock position. Mine is an Eliteiron and it is a direct thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back