Thoughts ???

tmvikings

Thoughts on the Savage arms 110 ULTRALITE in 6.5 Prc? Was all set to get a Tikka wide land veil in 6.5 PRC but then came across the Savage.

Thoughts on the Savage arms 110 ULTRALITE in 6.5 Prc? Was all set to get a Tikka wide land veil in 6.5 PRC but then came across the Savage.
Both will likely shoot. The tikka action will undoubtedly be smoother. Trigger preference seems to vary, but I prefer Tikka trigger. Play with the actions, test fire the triggers and mount to shoulder and see which you prefer.

Last edited:
I got a 6.5prc the end of last year and still have not found an rounds for it under $10/ round. still think it is a good round just would be nice to use it.

I held one of the Savage 110 Ultralites in 6.5 PRC, seemed heavier than advertised, didn't weigh it though, just the impression. The bolt movement felt kind of like a cheese grater. Already have a 6.5 PRC built on a Winchester Mdl 70 action. If it had been a 280AI, may have bought it. Have my eye out for a Howa Super-Lite in .308.

I have the Savage Ultralight in 6.5 PRC. The fluted bolt is very chattery, you can feel the fluting when cycling the bolt. Now that I've shot it quite a bit the bolt has gotten lots smoother. Check the rate of twist for the barrel on the Tikka, I don't know what it is, at least 1:8 is really needed

I love a really light rifle more than is healthy, but for the maybe pound difference I'd get the Tikka. If you decide later you want some of those ounces back, just pick up a Proof pre-fit and you should be about equal to the Savage.

I own Savages and a Tikka. I like savages because I’m a DIY guy, but Tikkas are smoother and more “refined.”

So I looked at both before getting my Tikka. The Tikka was cheaper than the Savage and available in the caliber I wanted at the time. ( it was during the great ammo and gun shortage of 2020-21 ) However the Savage is one of the best feeling guns in the hand to carry that I’ve ever held. With the carbon barrel it’s more heavy towards the rear and it seems the weight of it just balances almost perfect in your hand if you are carrying it. I don’t know anything about the performance of the Savage but my Tikka shoots 3 inch groups at 400 yards so I can vouch for that.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back