Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Thoughts on Wolves?

By BEN NEARY
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CHEYENNE, Wyo. -- Wolves will remain protected for now in Wyoming, where officials want to manage the animals by killing some, even as they come off the endangered species list in five other states, federal officials said Friday.

Top state officials vowed to keep fighting the federal government in court over wolf management issues.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service rejected a state proposal to allow the killing of some wolves to protect the state's elk herds. The agency wants to take wolves off the protected list in Wyoming, too, but not if the state insists on culling its population, according to a letter to state leaders from Wildlife Service Director Dale Hall.

"I think what the letter is telling the state is that the Fish and Wildlife Service has gone as far as we can possibly go on this," said Mitch King, the agency's regional director.

Wyoming House Speaker Roy Cohee said Friday's decision means wolf management legislation moving through both houses of the Legislature is moot.

"Basically what we were told, 'Take a hike and go look at your elk while they're still alive, because if the wolf population keeps growing, they're not going to be there that long,'" Wyoming Senate President John Schiffer said.

The Fish and Wildlife Service last year proposed creation of a permanent wolf management area in northwestern Wyoming. The agency last month announced a proposal to remove about 1,200 Rocky Mountain gray wolves from the endangered species list in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. The agency has approved wolf management plans in Montana and Idaho, but rejected Wyoming's original management plan in 2004.

Last month, the Interior Department said it would remove about 4,000 wolves in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin from the endangered and threatened species list within 30 days.

So what? The USFWS did the same thing to Idaho. They rejected Idaho's proposal to kill some wolves in an effort to help out the elk herds in the upper Clearwater. Why would anyone think that Wyoming would get permission to do so?

I don't think anyones going to get to hunt any Wolves soon. I'm sure there will be a Judge in the 10th circuit who's going to rule a two state delisting is illegal.

I'd be willing to bet that even if Wyoming had an approved plan a Judge would rule against delisting and order an injuction to stop delisting.

Wolves were recoverd in the Great lakes region since 1973 and they just were delisted.

We'll see. It should be interesting.

BHR,

Theres a big difference...

Soon Idaho will be able to address the wolf issue in the Clearwater without the consent of the Feds.

Wyoming, on the other hand, the state that has failed to come up with an acceptable plan...will still be answering to the feds and have NO control of wolves.

Wolves will be delisted in MT and ID...and they will have control over management.

delist and hunt, or else they will run over the world!
How do you figure that? Remember when wolves were increasing by 35% a year in the early '90s and the anti-wolf nuts were calculating how many we'd have in ten years? According to their calculations we should have millions by now! What happened?

just like the man said we keep fighting tell hell freezes over if that's what it takes or vigilantes take over.
we will soon have a wyoming guy as head of usfws lets see then what happens.
we will see if id and mont really have control or not i bet not. tell then the feds can flip the bills on the wolf situation.
all of us should be ticked off about it hunting has just went up 20% due to wolves,griz and jumping mice. they are not game or fish. tell the feds get their heads out of their asses let them pay for them.
if i was head of the game and fish i'd tell them straight out we will not spend one penny on them tell they are delisted.

They rejected Idaho's proposal to kill some wolves in an effort to help out the elk herds in the upper Clearwater.

I like how Ramitupyrass phrasess this, using the term some
They wanted to kill off the majority of the wolves in the clearwater in an attemp to bring elk numbers up.

Dumb assess should have started with a smaller number proposed, then move the number up without alarming the anti's and the USFWS.

I don't remember the number exactly but it was large.

just like the man said we keep fighting tell hell freezes over if that's what it takes or vigilantes take over.

Hey middleton, I think your brain has frozen over.

cmiddleton,

Off your meds?

The reason the licenses are going up 20% NEXT year is because cheap bastards like you have milked the cheap resident licenses for years. I think they should freeze NR licenses and double the resident fees...

Glad to see Wyoming is "winning" the wolf issue.

While MT and ID are controlling wolves through hunting seasons...WY will get to sit on the sidelines and watch the wolves multiply all the while enjoying full federal protection.

I told you so...again...and again...and again.

"While MT and ID are controlling wolves through hunting seasons...WY will get to sit on the sidelines and watch the wolves multiply all the while enjoying full federal protection."

So does this mean we now have a bet Buzz?

From the Idaho Statesman

Senate panel approves up to 10 wolf tags for auction or lottery sales
No wolf-lovers testified against bill, which would allow Fish and Game to issue up to 10 hunting tags

By Rocky Barker - Idaho Statesman
Edition Date: 02/15/07

Hunters may get a chance to bid against Gov. Butch Otter for the first wolf tag under a bill that was sent to the Senate floor by a Senate panel.

The Senate Resources and Environment Committee approved a bill Wednesday that would allow the Idaho Department of Fish and Game to issue up to 10 tags to shoot wolves for auctions or lottery sales. Otter said in January he hoped to bid on the first tag offered to hunt wolves in Idaho after they are removed from the federal endangered species list.

His words sparked outrage from wolf lovers worldwide. But no opponents of wolf hunting testified at the hearing.

The bill also would allow the Fish and Game Commission to sell wolf tags to resident hunters for $9.75 and non-residents for $150, after the wolf is removed from the endangered species list. The bill now goes to the floor of the Senate.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed delisting wolves in Idaho, Montana and portions of Oregon, Washington and Utah.

It also could remove the predators from federal control in Wyoming if that state passes a wolf management plan approved by the service.

Wyoming officials late last week rejected Fish and Wildlife's plan for an agreement and said they doubted they would pass an approved plan this year.

But Idaho officials are preparing hunting and management plans so that they are ready if the federal government hands them back control as early as 2008.

Idaho Fish and Game officials said they intend to manage wolves like they manage black bears and lions. In some areas, such as southern Idaho's farm and desert country, they would allow an unlimited quota to hunters.

The agency also could allow higher quotas in areas where there are repeated conflicts with livestock ranching. But in Idaho's core wilderness, where wolves have flourished, Fish and Game Wildlife Bureau Chief Jim Unsworth said he doubted many wolves will be killed by hunters or trappers.

The state will consider using control methods such as helicopter gunning in some areas if necessary.

"We'll keep all the tools," Unsworth said.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will conduct hearings across the region on its proposal to delist wolves.

A hearing is scheduled for 6 p.m. March 6 at the Boise Centre on The Grove

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back